wilbkr1
Skin Diver
First Name: William

Vintage Scuba Diving and my new DA Aqua-Lung Master (pics)

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello,

Just received my first vintage DA Aqua-Lung Master. I know there are many like her but this one is mine. I thought I'd share a few pictures showing her in all her glory.

It is my hope that one day she'll be wearing all the new clothes VDH has to offer like all the other kids on the block. I'm not the best photographer but hope you enjoy.

Three choices in life - Live with it - Change it or get out of it.
Just that simple!

kgehring
Master Diver

Re: Vintage Scuba Diving and my new DA Aqua-Lung Master (pic

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 pm

It's kinda like a baby's first pair of shoes.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:09 am

It's pretty cool, isn't it? I always feel like some kind of pioneer when I peel one open, clean it up, and then dive it. It's like finding a piece of history that you can still use. Between Bryan's parts and everyone here you have plenty of support to get it seaworthy again, which is a great deal.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:35 am

Wonder how long he spent in the store trying to decide what parts to get? :)

Bet he sounded like a girl looking for a prom dress...."do I want the yellow hoses with the black straight mouth piece or would it look better all black.....and what kind of mouthpiece...and..."

Sorry Wilbrk1, it's all in good fun, we have all done it. The reg looks in great shape, is an early 60s model and does not appear to have been dissambled- no visable scratches on the cans. I do like yellow hoses with black mouth pieces. They stand out in the water and grab attention. Not reg correct but the gray on gray is also very nice. I have yet to try the new silicone curved mouthpieces but the old USD curved ones were my favorite until the reproduction Voit silicone hourglass were produced. The hourglass ones are not reg correct but are the most comfortable and best if you intend to dive the reg a lot IMO. That opinion may change once I give the new silicone curved a try and one is on the bench now.
Herman

wilbkr1
Skin Diver

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 am

I did spend a bit of time in the store but was surprised just how easy it was to determine what I wanted. I have the project marked as top secret and will show pictures after it's complete. Project name: vintage DA - Original isn't it . LOL :lol: Now it's time to learn more about what I actually bought.

I believe my DA was manufactured in 1960 -1963. It's my understanding that 1958 and 1959 models did not have serial numbers on the labels and in 1964 the label color changed to Yellow. It would be crazy cool if it was a 1963 as this is the year I was born.

My wife gave me all kinds of grief about buying more Scuba gear until I told her this regulator would make me more like Mike Nelson from Sea Hunt. Maybe I should have said my scuba gear would look more like Mike Nelson's Scuba gear. Now she has me riding this blasted stationary bike twice a day. :shock:

I'd like to learn more about my DA Aqua-Lung Master regulator and try to pin it down to a year if possible. Any help would be much appreciated.
Just that simple!

wilbkr1
Skin Diver

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Well it looks like I stand corrected as to when my DA was manufactured. I'm now thinking it was a 58 -59. Anyone have any other thought on the matter? This is becoming addictive. :mrgreen:
Just that simple!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm

If you are looking at this site http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/labsusd.html there seems to be some disconnect between his dates at the top of the screen and the information by the label.
The first 2 years did not have serial numbers that jives with the 58-59 dates at West Pico. The problem is yours has a serial number and a West Pico address which does not jive unless it was made during the transition between the 2 locations, ie a very late 59 or a very early 60 model. In any case it's close to a 60 model.
Herman

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:19 am

wilbkr1
Skin Diver

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 am

I think I agree with Herman since mine has a serial number put has the West Pico Blvd address. I think this make for an interesting conversation point when I show case her.

1956-59: 11201 West Pico Blvd.
DA Aqua-Master, 1958-72. In the first two years, the DA Aqua-Master had yellow hoses, and the nameplates were not serialized. In 1964, they changed from dull chrome to shiny chrome. In 1970, the labels changed from a rectangular plate to a round decal. The DA was probably the most popular two hose regulator ever produced. After 15 years of production, US Divers dropped the DA Aqua-Master in 1973.

http://www.calclassic.org/Regulator/aqualung.html

1958-1959: All the rectangular ID plates from 1958 on had the bend over tabs. Gone forever were the rivets. The D Mistral took the place of the DW Stream Air and had a yellow plate with the raised chrome lettering. 1958 was the first year for the DA Aqua Master. Together with the DA Two Stage they had a blue tag with the raised chrome lettering.

1960: U.S. Divers again relocates, this time to 3323 West Delhi Ave., Santa Ana. There are only two models this year, the DA Aqua Master and the DW Mistral. The ID plates are the same color as the previous year.
Just that simple!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:51 am

Then again it actually could have been assembled in 60,61,62 ? USD was known to be very very frugal in those days and would not have thrown away a new nameplate no matter what address they were actually on. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that they used the labels they had on hand till they were used up before starting with the new ones.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

wilbkr1
Skin Diver

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:28 pm

LOL Now my brain really hurts! :D
Just that simple!

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:58 pm

1960 brought the New Dehli Address and the transition from dull chrome to Shiney chrome. A serialized DA is from late 58 to early 60. That's what I have gleaned from looking into it over the years. Of course, i am probably wrong. :roll:

ovalis
Master Diver

Tue May 04, 2010 1:34 am

The pico address regs were sold well throughout 1961.

Your particular reg was made in early 1960 prior to April 5, 1960.

It has the incorrect yoke screw as course and originally came with yellow hoses & black mouthpiece.

Return to “General Discussions”