captain
Plank Owner

Re: RIP Bryan Pennington

Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:10 am

I feel a Bryan Pennington Sand Dog Memorial Dive weekend is appropriate. When and where to be determined. What say you.
Captain

Creed
Master Diver

Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:21 pm

I saw this on Facebook. My condolences to the family. Bryan was a great guy, and will be sorely missed.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

ubxdiver
Diver
First Name: John

Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:11 pm

RIP Bryan.

I support 'captain's' post below.

Quote captain
by captain » Mon Oct 10, 2022

I feel a Bryan Pennington Sand Dog Memorial Dive weekend is appropriate. When and where to be determined. What say you.[/b]

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:49 pm

As others have stated, Bryan will be truly missed. I would just like to thank him for sharing his talents, sharing all of the information of our hobby, and in helping to provide so many great memories and friendships.
Brian

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:25 pm

captain wrote:
I feel a Bryan Pennington Sand Dog Memorial Dive weekend is appropriate. When and where to be determined. What say you.
I might just fly in for such an event. I now have several friends from California who have retired to north-central Florida that have promised a place to stay if I'm ever in the area.

M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:33 pm

captain wrote:
I think that's a great idea, Tom. Count me in to attend and to help with organizing it.

Thanks to Bryan Pennington, I have been living out my childhood diving fantasies for the last 10 years. I found him and this VDH Forum while searching for the Sea Hunt TV shows online back in 2011. It got me back into diving and made me so many new friends... Here and even around the world. My life is so much better for having known Bryan Pennington.

Sincerely, Eben Brown (SurfLung)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:22 pm

So very sorry to hear about Bryan. Very special guy. He managed to changed the vintage diving world and no doubt made it safer for a lot of people. One of a kind and far too young to be moving on.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:05 pm

captain wrote:
Something in March or April in Florida. Alexander Springs for sure!

Swimjim

USdiver
Master Diver

Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:21 pm

First of all, I wish to express my deepest sympathy to Bryan's family. Our community of vintage diving enthusiasts owes so much to Bryan: VDH, the Argonaut Kraken, Sand Dogs, Sea Hunt Forever, support for Wazee, Portage/White Star, Fortune Pond and other events in our circle. Shocked does not even begin to describe the loss of such a fine man. Thank you Bryan for enriching all those whose lives you touched. You will be greatly missed.

George
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

keithwaugh
First Name: keith

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:03 am

Totally shocked to hear this sad news. Very sorry for Bryan and his family.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:37 pm

Here it is 3 days since I learned of Bryans passing, and I still find myself in a state of disbelief and at a loss for words. Bryan provided so much for all of us in the vintage community and certainly helped preserve the history of the early days of scuba diving. I'll be forever thankful for all of those great dive events, dinners, campfires and the friendships that we made. God Bless you Bryan
Terry Stevens / Vintagediver
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

Robohips77
Master Diver

Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:00 pm

I’ll offer my services for a memorial sand dog event in the months to come. Be glad to help coordinate a long weekend. I’ll be retired and can commit the time to make it happen. My thoughts and prayers to all. Roger VF
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

ColemanJ
Diver
First Name: James

Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:22 pm

I have been thinking about Brian's passing for several days and what a loss to the vintage diving community. My brother got me into it and thanks to Brian and VDH I have an awesome Royal Aquamaster Phoenix HPR regulator that performs beyond belief. Thank-you so very much Brian. As someone else said, life is so very short, and we need to live it to the fullest. Tomorrow has no guarantees. RIP Brian and many prayers for your family through this difficult time!

couv
Master Diver

Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:04 am

Bryan did so much for the diving community especially the Vintage and Do It Yourself worlds.

He was also a friend and dive buddy and one of my favorite vendors. I am a proud owner of an Argonaut Kraken and a few of his wings and plate.

Rest in Peace, Big Guy. You will be missed.

Prayers for you, family and loved ones.

couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:22 pm

We took these pictures in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago. We were thinking of Bryan.

Cozumel was probably one of his favorite dive destinations. We dove together in Cozumel many times.

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “General Discussions”