EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Weight Adjustment

Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:38 pm

I've recently lost 40 LBS of blubber through hard work, dedication and gastric bypass surgery.

I've been cleared by my doctor to get back into the water and I'm going on a drift dive Friday morning.

Prior to the weight loss I needed 18 lbs of weight while diving with a skin suit. 20 Lbs with a 1MM wetsuit. The water is expected to be in the low to mid 60's. (Summertime water temps are in the 90's.) I'm going to be using the 1MM with a 2MM shorty over it. (I can fit into my 5mm, kinda, but cant zip it)

Between the weight loss and adding a 2MM shorty do you think I would need to adjust the lead any?

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Weight Adjustment

Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:23 pm

First congratulations on your weight loss.

I am not sure that I can answer your question, but here are a few things to consider... or think about.

The 40 pounds of "blubber" has a lot of flotation. Your bare body should need a lot less ballast (lead weight).

Also the loss of 40 pounds of blubber will also mean that you loss a lot of built in insulation. I have heard it call "bioprene"...
So the 60 F water temperature may require a lot more external insulation: neoprene. In that kind of temperatures I am comfortable in a 7mm wet suit (and I am sporting some more bioprene that I did when I was younger).

One more thought... assuming that those are newer wetsuit that fit you with 40 pounds less, that also means they would have a lot less neoprene material that floats. So the weight requirements of a smaller wetsuit is also less (even if they are the same thickness).

They are too many variables... you are basically starting from scratch on your weight estimate.

Have fun and enjoy your dive.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Re: Weight Adjustment

Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:42 pm

I did a New Years Day dive 2021 in the same area with just the 1mm suit. It was cold but not unbearable.

The suits are from 2009. The 1mm has only seen a dozen or so dives and is still snug, the 2mm shorty has never been used and fits snug over the 1mm.

I didn't know if less weight + a 2mm suit would cancel each other out. I have a feeling it's going to be a constant adjustment as it gets warmer and the bioprene melts off.

Thanks for the info.

Return to “General Discussions”