Vintagediver
Master Diver

Possible Adaptor For Hope Page Mouthpiece

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:30 pm

Recently I just acquired my first Healthways Scuba reg that came with a Hope Page mouthpiece and I am now in the process of restoring it for use this coming dive season. While doing some searches for info in regards to this reg and mouthpiece I see that others have done the same, and some of you have been looking for a solution for an adaptor so 1-1/2" hoses can be used with the Hope Page. I've been doing some experimenting with mine and I think / hope I might have found a solution. I have a couple of 1-1/2" plastic tailpieces that are 4" in length and they seem to work perfectly. These tailpieces are the part that comes off of the bottom of your sink drain and can be found at any local hardware. The flange that is on the one end has to be turned down very slightly so it will fit within the collar that screws onto the Hope Page. I accomplished this by fitting it on the end of my drill and spinning it on some emery paper to slowly turn it down to the right diameter so it fit within the HP collar. Some of the hoses I have almost fit but I did have to make a rubber sleeve to slide over it, and that worked perfectly. First I cut the plastic tailpieces to the same length as the 1" hose connectors on the HP and then turned down the flanges to fit within the HP collar. I then cut some rubber (Inner tube material) pieces about 3/4" wide and then to the right length to wrap around the 1-1/2" tailpiece. After being fitted for the correct length I then glued the ends together with wetsuit cement and was now able to slide this rubber piece over the tailpiece. I was then able to slide my new blue hoses (From Rob at The Scuba Museum) on and attach the hose clamp and everything fit perfectly. The only concern I have with this adaptor is the thickness of the walls of the tube and I think I might have that resolved. As I mentioned these tailpieces are 4" in length; so there is plenty of tube that is not used when cutting the original part. I cut some of this extra tubing to the proper length to fit inside of the first part I cut that has the flange on one end. To make it fit I carefully cut out a slice so it would squeeze together just enough to be fitted inside of the piece that has the flange. By doing this it doubled up the thickness of the wall making this part with the flange a bit more substantial. Once this part has been fitted I then plan to use some sort of glue to fasten them together. As far as the hoses fitting that have an 1-1/2 " hose cuff; it works perfectly. Hopefully this works well! :D
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Possible Adaptor For Hope Page Mouthpiece

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:01 pm

NEED PICS!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm

Second on photos. OR, one could just buy 1” on both ends hoses.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:55 pm

Thanks for the news on the fittings to adapt the HP mouthpiece assembly! Hoses with 1" cuffs on each end are nice, but most of us probably already have more stock of the hoses you are using. I have a lot of $$ just in hoses already. Always good to hear of innovations like yours.
The older I get the better I was.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:38 am

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow and get them posted. What I like about using 1-1/2" hoses with this adaptor is that it gives me the opportunity to switch to any 1-1/2" mouthpiece or the HP without having to change hoses. Also I'm pretty sure that these tailpieces are available in chrome plated brass as well in the plumbing section of any hardware.
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 am

Hi Terry,
nice to sea you on here again!

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Well I took several pictures earlier today and I've been trying to post them for the last couple of hours without any luck. AND The NHL just cancelled all of the games starting tonight; so I guess I won't be watching my Detroit Red Wings / Washington Capitals game. :roll: Now it's time to go get that rum and coke! :x :lol:

NAVED Member #137

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:01 pm

I made more attempts last night to post several pictures, and once again nothing but problems. I do think that I might be able to post them 1 at a time; so I'll give that a try. If that works then here is a photo of the end result.Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NAVED Member #137

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Well what do you know; it worked. I'll post several more.
HPM-1 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NAVED Member #137

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:08 pm

HPM-3 (2).jpg
And another.

NAVED Member #137

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:10 pm

HPM-2 (2).jpg

NAVED Member #137

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:13 pm

And finally. Hope this answers some questions.
HPM-4 (2).jpg

NAVED Member #137

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 pm

So, you are basically replacing the 1" HP end with the larger pipe end? Forgive my ignorance as I am slower these days. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi Mark: You got it. That tailpiece is a standard plumbing drain part that can be bought at any hardware. For plumbing purposes it may be packaged as an 1-1/4"; 1-1/2" that comes with a nylon washer that would fit it to your sink drain. I already had one but I had to go and buy the second one which I bought as just a 4" long x 1-1/2" diameter tailpiece at my local True Value Hardware. As I recall it was around 3 or 4 bucks. Hope this helps. :D
By the way while I think of it did you make any further progress with the mold you were working on in regards to that exhaust diaphragm for The Healthways Scuba?

NAVED Member #137

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:17 pm

Vintagediver wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:47 pm
Hi Mark: You got it. .....By the way while I think of it did you make any further progress with the mold you were working on in regards to that exhaust diaphragm for The Healthways Scuba?
Hi Terry,

Appreciate the info. Looks like you are on to something good. As for my exhaust diaphragm mold experiments - don't ask. I recently revisited the concept with some new polymer additives and failed miserably. Haven't given up yet but the project is on the back burner for now. :)

Return to “General Discussions”