Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Ultrasonic cleaner

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:17 pm

So what are peoples favorite solutions for an ultrasonic cleaner? Straight Simple Green? Water? A mix of simple green and marine Salt-X?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:32 pm

10% CLR.
90% H2O
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 pm

Clear me up on CLR?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:26 am

tripplec wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 pm
Clear me up on CLR?

CLR is available at grocery stores and some hardware stores. I have used in various percentage mixes with water in my Ultrasonic cleaner for 20 years with good results. Mix depends upon level of corrosion, but I never had to go over 50/50. Weaker mixes such as Mark suggests will work fine and just may take a little more time in the tub for tough jobs.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:48 am

e7010f1e-1004-41fa-aec9-ff71e99dabe7_4.1f397c65dfa586df7a6f9be571d0f25f.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:19 am

Ill have to check our stores. Is it safer on brass and chrome than vinegar?

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:38 am

tripplec wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:19 am
Ill have to check our stores. Is it safer on brass and chrome than vinegar?

Although the CLR container cautions against use on several materials, including Brass, I have tested and used it for years on Chrome plated Brass regulator parts. Before trusting CLR on expensive and/or rare regulators I did several tests using a 50/50 mix of CLR and water. In one test I submerged two extra regulator port plugs overnight in the mix with no ill effects. On a second test using the same percentage mix I left the items in for 24 hours with no apparent damage. While I did not test any extended submersion on brass with a badly damaged finished, such as flaking chrome, I would advise against doing that on a valued object with a compromised finish.

Of course I would not even recommend such lengthy soaks on good regulator components, and also suggest using a lighter mix and only for as long as necessary for a good cleanup. Usually just a few minutes in the Ultrasonic bath (or even just a plastic container) does the trick.

Vinegar and Simple Green seems to work pretty well if you don't mind smelling like a pickle after each project. For years I used a 25/75 solution of pool acid and water with pretty good results, but I think the CLR or Vinegar is a safer way to go. One caution about any of the acidic solutions is not to reuse them too many times as brass salts build up in them and can leave a thin gold or brass-colored plating/stain on a good chrome surface if you accidently leave items in for an extended period of time. Once I forgetfully left chrome plated components of a nice Calypso-J in the acid bath overnight. The next day I found a light golden colored regulator. :shock: Thankfully the owner liked the looks of it, and was actually pleased to have a regulator unlike anyone else's, so I was spared having to give him a new reg. :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 pm

^^^ What Bill says! :)

P.S. You can order CLR from Amazon.com.too.

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:21 pm

Ive always used 50/50 vinegar and SaltX from my boat, but I have never been imoressed with the results. However, I was also trying to clean badly corroded parts. Might still do an overnight pre soak in the salt-x.

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 pm

Done any experimenting with rubber parts in the clr?

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:34 am

tripplec wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 pm
Done any experimenting with rubber parts in the clr?
I didn't do any testing with long submersions, but haven't had issues with short exposures. Also don't see any warning on container against using it on rubber. I generally clean up the rubber parts with Simple Green anyway.

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 am

Thanks guys. CLR worked great at 20%, and my Chinese ultrasonic cleaner worked awesome.

Return to “General Discussions”