sbotes
First Name: Steve

Old Dacor Regulator

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:47 pm

I have an old Dacor Regulator I would like to get some information on. I do remember my dad and my uncle telling me how you could service the thing with a dime....

It has a very low four digit serial number - 1482. Note that the patent was still pending.
IMG_20191124_170625small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Old Dacor Regulator

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:36 am

Welcome to the board.
The Dacors are fairly common but unfortunately, parts are almost non existent. The main diaphragms (most have 2) are almost always too damaged to be used. The HP diaphragm can often be salvaged but the rest of the rubber parts have to be replaced. The HP seat can usually be resurfaced and put back in service. The hose loop Is most likely too hard to be used but a reproduction US Divers loop works fine. There are a few parts to be had but they are becoming harder to find.
If you look in the manuals and catalogs section of this board, you can find a service manual with exploded drawings. From a rebuilding standpoint, if you hunt long enough you can find parts but it's getting harder to do.
Herman

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:13 am

That is an R-1 regulator, I believe. The label changed for the R-2, 3 adding the words "Double Diaphragm" above "2 Stage Regulator". They were not very good performers especially with the OEM 1" hoseloop. The tiny non-return valves are buried under a fold in the mouthpiece which restricted air flow badly. They aren't much better with larger mouthpieces like the USD sets.

They have a very simple second stage that was placed 45 degrees away from the intake air horn which simply filled the boxes with air which had to find its way into the air hose. The R-2 was the same, but they moved the orifice to be directly in front of the intake horn in the R-3s. That helped some.

Herman is correct: finding parts is difficult and they are old even if NOS. No one is making reproduction diaphragms, yet. It's doubtful anyone will. IF all else is good, and you have a good intake diaphragm, the second, exhaust diaphragm can be replaced with a reproduction duckbill. This actually improves the exhalation effort.

The Dacor line of DH regulators is generally not very popular, and these R-1,2,3 series regs are at the bottom of the heap. You won't sell it for much on eBay if that's the plan.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:34 am

one for the display shelf....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:21 pm

I always encourage a rebuild or at least getting an antique regulator in working condition. All of them have historical value, and this one, if I'm correct that it's an R-1, is relatively uncommon.

I have 2 1/2 R-3s that I'm restoring. I'll end up with one in excellent + condition and another in excellent condition. The 1/2 will plague me until I get the parts I need to make it complete. It's missing the exhaust airhorn ring and the diaphragms.

Return to “General Discussions”