ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

What are you guys doing?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Sitting here in Laguna Beach watching the sunset over Catalina and contemplating a night dive. What are you guys doing? :)

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: What are you guys doing?

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:47 am

I dove Fortune Pond today. Probably the last open water dive of the year up there. We swam all the way around the pond reaching depths of 150 feet. 65 minute dive time, 41 degree water temp top to bottom. Even with a dry suit and full under garments, pretty darn cold. Even by my standards! At least the sun was out. 35 degree air temp and a 15 mph Northeast wind didn't help. Especially after the dive. The good news though was the viz was spectacular! It was only fuzzy about 145 and deeper. Awesome dive!

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:30 am

assessing gear... headed to Curacao in a couple weeks. Hope I have the pesky leak in my PRAM resolved...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:07 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:52 pm
Sitting here in Laguna Beach watching the sunset over Catalina and contemplating a night dive. What are you guys doing? :)

Looks like your feet are on the wrong sides, but the background is alluring.
The older I get the better I was.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:48 pm

You all are getting the wrong impression. California sucks: we're all crazy lib-tards and are all practically communists. And worse. DON'T move here. The traffic is bad enough, and you really won't like it.

Trust me. Stay home. You have sunsets in Texas and Michigan and Wisconsin, too, don't you?

Sincerely,
Vance

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:53 am

I'm engaged on my winter project of researching traditional underwater gear manufactured in the Far East. A recent eBay acquisition was a Korean-made diving mask that came in an old-fashioned cardboard box displaying the manufacturer's products on one side:
I've already conducted several online searches resulting in many sightings of the Daihan diving masks pictured centre in the second and third rows above. These masks are currently on sale on a number of Korean online marketing sites.

The other products illustrated have proved elusive, however, in particular the fins top left and centre. I've noticed nevertheless from various websites that they are used by Haenyeo divers on Jeju Island, e.g.

I am puzzled by the dearth of information online about the company and its products. I can't even find any addresses or contact details for the manufacturer. Here's the firm's logo:
The mask itself is embossed with the English words:

DAI HAN SKIN DIVING MASK
MADE IN KOREA
MARINE SPORTS GORAE OVER THE SEA.

The top of the mask box is overprinted with the words "DAIHAN DIVING MASK" in English and "대한황대수경" in Korean. Although my knowledge of the Korean language is virtually nil, I was able to figure out that "GORAE" was a transliteration of the Korean "고래", meaning "whale" and presumably a reference to the firm's logo.

I'm currently posting messages on a variety of online forums, hoping that somebody located in South Korea might be able to help.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:47 am

Vancetp wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:48 pm
You all are getting the wrong impression. California sucks: we're all crazy lib-tards and are all practically communists. And worse. DON'T move here. The traffic is bad enough, and you really won't like it.

Trust me. Stay home. You have sunsets in Texas and Michigan and Wisconsin, too, don't you?

Sincerely,
Vance
Spent some time in California more than a few squares back. Nice sunsets for sure. Here in Wisconsin we get awesome sun rises. Here's a video I made a few years ago. Most of the pictures in it were taken from my living room.

https://vimeo.com/56047436

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:07 pm

I Think I was Deer Hunting...
- I'm pretty sure this is what I was doing on the same afternoon you took your photo of Catalina Island.
Sorry for the frown... I was sucking on a cough drop.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:16 pm

A bunch of us went diving over the weekend recently in Clear Lake, Oregon. Chris (TrippleC) and I were there, along with some of our friends.

OI000044.JPG

Also just recently picked up a 16600 Seadweller. Other than that, alle ist gut.
sd.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Ron wrote:

Rolex Seadweller 5.JPG
Ron, that's a "Superlative Chronometer", and it says so on the face. And good to 666 fathoms for you deep diving guys! Nice find. :D
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm

antique diver wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:52 pm
Ron wrote:

Rolex Seadweller 5.JPG
Ron, that's a "Superlative Chronometer", and it says so on the face. And good to 666 fathoms for you deep diving guys! Nice find. :D
Thanks Bill. I hope you and Francie are doing well :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “General Discussions”