1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sebastian Inlet State Park South of Melbourne

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:44 am

I am going to be down near Sebastian Inlet State park and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the scuba diving there at the park? Is it worth doing or should we just try snorkeling etc? Any input is appreciated.

Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park South of Melbourne

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:43 pm

I don’t know about diving but there is a popular surf break there. If I remember correctly, on the north side of the surf line up is a deep channel formed by Sebastian inlet that’s called “monster alley” by the surfers on account of all the sharks that feed there. The channel is easy to see from the bridge ( at least the bridge that was there 20 years ago). It’s a beautiful area and I would bet there is some good diving. The inlet is kind of narrow so I would think there would be a strong current depending on the tides.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park South of Melbourne

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:55 pm

I lived in Melbourne from 1980 to around 1985.

I assisted with Scuba classes for a little while with Hatts’ Diving Headquarters. They are located next to the Melbourne Causeway.

To do any open water dives we always took our students down to West Palm Beach. According to the instructor that I was assisting, he didn’t think there was any good diving anywhere near us. And by that he meant it was all no reefs, just sandy long beach, with nothing to see.

I never actually tried diving locally, but I got the same impression for other local divers.

We actually hired a boat to take the students out for certification dives. Even do the students paid for the boat, I am sure we would have done check-out dives locally if it was suitable.

I just looked at Hatts Dive shop. It hasn’t change, but the kids are now running it. The shop looks the same as it did almost 40 years ago, with the pool on the back, etc.

I would call Hatts and ask them
http://www.hattsdiving.com/home.html

I just went to their Facebook page and all their pictures are of boat diving and it doesn't look like anywhere near Sebastian Inlet. But I would still call them.

Good luck.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “General Discussions”