SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fun Projects...

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Lots of Fun Projects...

- I was just talking to Rich "50,001 Questions" about some of the stuff I have "in the works". And its like counting blessing... I never run out of 'em.

1. I'm getting back to the Tornado/Kidde Compressor. The hold up is getting the motor starter wired correctly. I've been on the phone with Antique Diver Bill and Jim Shelden and I've watched YouTube videos. I have it so that if you push the coil in with a wooden rod, it starts right up and pumps air. So I have to figure out how to wire the coil so it will pull in automatically and turn it on. Plumbing has lots of options that I understand but electrical wiring is something I don't know but am learning. Thank heavens for smart phones so I can send pictures back and forth with experts who are so generous with the knowledge and time (Jim and Bill).

2. I've almost finished the (formerly) wire-wrapped surplus 48 cf tank. It's hydro'd, VIP'd, bead blasted, Galvalite painted, has the bushing and J-Valve installed, is filled with air, and has held the same 1800 psi with no leaks for a week. What's left is the harness. which I'm fabricating from 1.24" cotten webbing and the original plastic shoulder straps.

3. I'm trying out some copper pop rivets instead of the usual solid copper rivets. I saw a YouTube video on how to finish the blind side of a pop rivet to be nice and flat like the front side. I THINK this AquaLung Bac-Pac harness might be usable in the Sea Hunt Forever show if we get to do another one.

4. I have two of Jerry's $30 Snark IIIs to work on as well as Rich's $30 Snark III. For these, I bought a little first stage Over Pressure Valve that I can install in my home made Snark III IP gauge... I just had a bleed valve before... This is safer.

5. I've got a Dacor C3 Clipper that Vance made me and IP gauge adaptor for. This thing has everything to bring it back to life now. I just need to sit down and do it.

6. Finally, I have been looking for replacement webbing for that USD black flat nylon stuff that has the yellow pin stripe down the middle. All I could fine is the tubular stuff and it's too slippery. BUT, last weekend I was help with a friend's construction job and one of the guys had a toolbelt that looked like the exact same stuff. It was a DeWalt tool belt. Now the USD stuff is smaller than 2" wide. I have to check out DeWalt!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Re: Fun Projects...

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:28 pm

SurfLung

There is this available from Stap works
https://www.strapworks.com/High_Tenacit ... p/htp2.htm

Scott

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:05 pm

I have a full set of the original USD straps and adjustable shoulder buckles. Not sure about the waist buckle but probably have that too. All in good condition. Seems like there were two versions made, with the first being a little thin to hold adjustment well in the buckles, and second was OK but a little thin for holding shape while donning.... probably so it would work smoothly on the shoulder adjustments. Email me for details. I can take all the strap measurements including thickness if you need to know that. Scott's suggestion might actually be better if it is thicker material.
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:19 pm

I own a DACOR C-3 Clipper regulator. Properly adjusted with a USD hose set, it will give a DA Aquamaster a run for it's money. IMHO the best double hoser that DACOR ever made. I like my C-3 better than my R-4's!

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:58 am

- Thanks Scott. Yes I bought some of the stuff from Strap Works... Its really limp and kind of slippery. Plus it's 2". The USD buckles I'm thinking of are on a 1-7/8 inch belt. I checked the Dewalt site and their belt is listed as 2" as well.

- Thanks Antique Diver Bill. You've got a whole set? That's great . I think it takes two sets to fit around my belly. Could you PM me with a price (if you want to sell it).

- Yeah-Ha! SwimJim you are the reason I bought the C3 in the first place!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:19 pm

You can check here,

www.lowyusa.com
Captain

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:01 pm

swimjim wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:19 pm
I own a DACOR C-3 Clipper regulator. Properly adjusted with a USD hose set, it will give a DA Aquamaster a run for it's money. IMHO the best double hoser that DACOR ever made. I like my C-3 better than my R-4's!
Here's my poor little C-3, which has been reincarnated several times from various parts and has an interesting mod.

ImageIMG_4883 by Vancetp, on Flickr

Bill sent me a box of Dacor stuff which, along with a C-3 and a couple of C-2s, got taken apart and poured into a pile which resulted in 2 nice C-2s and a nice C-3, and this little guy. I use it to experiment on.

You can't miss the LP ports drilled into the HP body. Out of 5 holes of varying ineptitude of execution (not me! I got it this on one of the above mentioned C-2s), 2 are workable. 2 holes were not drilled through since they were horribly bungled, and one was tapped into the IP chamber but the threads were buggered. These got filled with JBWeld.

The LP taps do work, and it can be set up with a BCD hose and safe second. The holes are poorly placed and angled so the yoke won't rotate 360 degrees with hoses installed. I put the brass adapter on to see if a 3 way would work. Meh. I don't like things sticking out like that.

It is an interesting concept that can easily be done well. If I get my hands on a loose HP body, I'll try machining it properly with flats ground into the curve and the taps placed so hoses go in convenient directions. This mod will make a good regulator even better!

Return to “General Discussions”