Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

Cleaning a USD harness/tank bands

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Afternoon everyone, I was wondering if anybody has any advice for cleaning an original USD cotton harness (blue, if it matters) and tank bands? The bands have a decent amount of crud/ verdigris on them and the rivets and buckles on the harness all have verdigris. The items will go on display rather then put back into service. My original thought was to soak the whole thing in diluted vinegar, scrub the metal with a toothbrush and then hand wash the fabric with woolite. I’m not sure how the cotton would react to the vinegar solution. I have searched the forum but have not seen anything on the topic. Anybody have any thoughts?

Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

Re: Cleaning a USD harness/tank bands

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:41 pm

I figured that I should do a follow up for the future double hosers that might have a similar problem. Cleaning metal is pretty straight forward and cleaning fabric is also straight forward but trying to clean both when they are attached is a little more challenging. I ended up using a 50/50 water and vinegar solution to soak the harness and bands. The vinegar did its normal magic cleaning of the metal bits and did not seem to do any damage to the fabric. I did not use Woolite, instead it just got a thorough fresh water rinse. The harness is sill “impregnated” by small chunks of red rust where the harness threads through the band. I think if I aggressively try and clean that area, I will end up doing more damage to the fabric. It’s out of sigh so I’m leaving it for now. The harness and bands will just be for display so a little “patina” just lends credence to its age.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Cleaning a USD harness/tank bands

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:33 pm

Nothing wrong with gear that looks like it's been used. I'm more concerned with a diver that everything is shiny and new. When I built my Hot DAAM, I purposely used a DA that was a little rough around the edges. If it gets a little (another) scratch it's no big deal. It's one of my favorite regs to dive. Thank you Flakotter for posting your method and results! I've learned an awful lot over the years on this forum over the years reading posts just like yours.

Return to “General Discussions”