ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

My dive today

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Took my boat out for a bug dive this morning. Saw zillions of lobster but none legal size. Had a fun 66 minute dive anyway. Dove my twin steel 45s and Conshelf XII. Can't use DH for lobster dives as the cans get all buggered up when I crawl back under ledges. We are coming back into the harbor as I write. Me and my 73 year old dive buddy Richard + all of our dive crap littering the deck. :)

Image[br]Image
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: My dive today

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:49 pm

Sweet. Sounds like a blast. The cold/windy season is cranking up around here. I'm hoping to get my boat out just one more time before putting it to bed for the winter..

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:03 pm

swimjim wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:49 pm
Sweet. Sounds like a blast. The cold/windy season is cranking up around here. I'm hoping to get my boat out just one more time before putting it to bed for the winter..
Winter? What's that? :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:34 pm

My sister was stationed at Point Sur for a bunch of years. And a bunch more in Hawaii. She got bored of the lack of change of seasons. She's a lot like myself. Her first tour in the Navy was Adak Alaska. She used to get in trouble with the base commander for going swimming in the 54 degree water off the island. No wet suit, just a swimming suit. Growing up in and on lake Michigan kind of trains you for that. I did go diving today.... there is even a video. But it was at the fire department open house where I am employed in dive rescue. Here's the video.. https://vimeo.com/366119364 . At the open house we dive the "Tank" using our comms gear and talk to kids while we are playing tic tac toe. The little kids we lose on purpose so they have a good time. The older kids we don't cut much slack. Ha. I only had one little girl go into melt down today. But her parents put her back on the head phones and we made it up. The most serious diving you'll ever do in four feet of water.... at least the most rewarding.

swimjim
Master Diver

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:37 pm

PS...... I am not dissing diving in Monterrey and the surrounding area. I spent about three weeks out there in 1981, mostly diving off the Navy base at Point Sur. A great place to dive and I would love to get back out there sometime! :D :D :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:52 pm

swimjim wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:37 pm
PS...... I am not dissing diving in Monterrey and the surrounding area. I spent about three weeks out there in 1981, mostly diving off the Navy base at Point Sur. A great place to dive and I would love to get back out there sometime! :D :D :D
Looks like fun for kiddies and you as well Jim!

I like Monterey area too. I'm down south halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego. Sea temp 70 F today. :)

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Ocean finally calmed down enough for a beach dive so I went for a solo dive off Laguna this morning. Spent 57 minutes on a single steel 71.2 tank in 20 to 40 feet of water. 20 foot viz. Saw a Sevengill Shark (Notorynchus cepedianus) for the first time off Laguna. It was about 6 to 7 feet long and paid zero interest in me.

Dove my Voit NAVY Phoenix/HPR as I didn't feel like messing around testing any recently rebuilt regs. Just wanted to have a nice pleasant no-hassle dive. I succeeded!

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:47 am

jealous
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:24 pm

That sounds like a nice getaway.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:10 pm

rhwestfall wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:47 am
jealous
Me too. The only water that close to my place is a stock tank. Visibility is about 20 millimeters, and that's if cows haven't been walking around in it to cool off.
The older I get the better I was.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi Mark,
you could have dove fortune p[ond with us.
At 35 feet 53 degrees,70 feet 47,Joey went to 135 feet a nice warm 41 degrrees.
Eben,Rich and Ron were there with us.
Kemps Cow

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:54 pm

SeaHuntJerry wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:47 pm
Hi Mark,
you could have dove fortune p[ond with us.
At 35 feet 53 degrees,70 feet 47,Joey went to 135 feet a nice warm 41 degrrees.
Eben,Rich and Ron were there with us.
Kemps Cow

Well, let's see Jerry, 41 degree Fortune Pond versus nearly 70 degree Pacific Ocean. Hmmm, tough one, let me think...... Ok, I've thought about it... I win. :)

I do miss diving with you guys. Hope my name didn't get too trashed..... :)

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 pm

Dove my Kraken off the beach here in Laguna Beach yesterday. About 20ft viz and 57 F ocean temp (which is about the limit for me in my 5mm wetsuit for an hours dive time).

Went back out today for a vintage dive. Had an experience that was just strange. Our local lifeguards are really great and you don't see too many in the winter time. Yet today, there I am standing on the beach putting my Voit Vikings on and up walks this Lifeguard (a kid really, doubt if he was over 18). He asks me a bunch of questions about where I'm going, etc... and I politely answer him. Then he kind of looks oddly at me and says, "I notice you don't have an octopus regulator and you know that PADI requires one for all divers." Before I get to my response, you have to know what I was thinking. I was thinking, "really, I'm standing here with a single stage double hose regulator with no LP ports, no BC, no pack pack, no pressure gauge, and I am diving all by myself with no buddy in sight, and you want to know why I don't have an octo reg on?" So I simply state, of course I know that (no I don't) but my octo was leaking this morning so I thought it would be unsafe to use it and left it back at the house. I promise to get it fixed. He was very satisfied with that response, told me to be careful and wished me a good dive. Sometimes I cannot fathom people. M

fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 pm

Haha! Mark that was a great response by you, sometimes you just have to bite your lip and go on. :roll:

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:57 am

So has the city removed the dive rule that you must have a dive partner, no Solo diving? I've always thought that was a bit nanny, being an avid solo diver myself. Maybe this grom-tadpole thought you had a "rebreather" (rolling my eyes)

Return to “General Discussions”