SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Multi-Purpose Tank Checkers...

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Multi-Purpose Tank Checkers...
- Those vintage USD Tank Checkers you see on Ebay are often priced really cheap. And yet they have some really elegant fittings compared to modern tank checkers. When I got into filling my Twin 38s by Cascade, it occurred to me how easy it would be to just convert a tank checker into a cascade whip. The end with the gauge goes on the tank to be filled. And you can watch your fill pressure climb to the desired pressure.
- This past Summer I've been fixing up a 1980s Aerotecnica Coltri compressor that never had a Back Pressure Regulator (BPR). The original configuration had a direct hose to a yoke with gauge on it. You would just close the tank valve when you reached your desired pressure and then open the drain valves and shut the compressor off. Well, for more efficient moisture removal, I screwed a Back Pressure Regulator onto the final filter tube and attached a modern fill whip with gauge, on/off valve, and bleed valve. It worked fine until the BPR broke off (from metal fatigue I think).
- So then I made this new fill whip from a tank checker. It attaches to the final filter tube with just a hose like the original configuration. But now the BPR is on the end of the whip with a gauge, yoke, and bleed valve... And it still works fine as a tank checker!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: Multi-Purpose Tank Checkers...

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:44 pm

I make a lot of stuff out of them. I make transfill whips out of them as well as having one with a yoke and the other in is a DIN connector which often comes in handy.

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:25 am

I have a HP female quick connect on the outlet of my compress filter and a male on the end of the filler hose. I also have a filler yoke with a female quick connect. By connecting the filler yoke to the filler hose it becomes a trans fill hose.
Captain

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:39 am

I may have to spring for some of these. At the moment, I've been using modified regulators as transfill whips!

couv
Master Diver

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:12 pm

I do like Eben's setup for pressure checking, but for simple equalizing I use a cheap fitting. See link below.
Drado wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:39 am
I may have to spring for some of these. At the moment, I've been using modified regulators as transfix whips!
Well hello there stranger.

Have you ever seen this thread?
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... 50.354001/

Hope all is well in paradise.

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:44 am

Why, I do believe that's where I got the idea from! :D I recall heading to a local machine shop and asking them to make such an adapter for the HP hoses. Prior to that I was using a pigtail to transfer air. Hahaha!

All is well! Finally got back in the water after all this time! Haven't tried the drysuits yet though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussions”