ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

General musings bordering on a rant.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Well the diving was lousy today so I worked for a while on a legal brief, got bored, so decided to take a walk on the beach. My city has pretty much outlawed everything I love to do and I about lost it when one of the well-meaning tidepool docents (yeah, we actually have those) started yelling at me for picking up a broken clam shell from the high tide line. I was gonna put it back, honest. She starts screaming at me to read the sign that starts out with "DO NOT."  Makes me want to go out and spear a random fish for the hell of it then pin the carcass to the sign. Just kidding, I would keep the fish and eat it. :D

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: General musings boardering on a rant.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Is it ok to remove a piece of broken glass for the protection of those who walk barefoot on the beach (or is being barefoot a crime too?) ? :?
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:51 pm

Take Nothing Leave nothing. Why don't they have a big sign that says GO AWAY! Docents. I had never head that term until about two years ago. It means person or persons who have absolutely nothing to do and no life to speak of.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:03 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:43 pm
Is it ok to remove a piece of broken glass for the protection of those who walk barefoot on the beach (or is being barefoot a crime too?) ? :?
Depends if it falls under the definition of "Artsy Sea Glass." If so, no take. Otherwise, you take your chances with the local constabluary.

In our town it is illegal to smoke cigars (except in your own home or car), illegal to fly drones over any public area, illegal to have alcohol in any public place save for restaurants and private homes (no beer on the beach), illegal to have your dogs on the beach even with a leash during the 3 summer months, illegal to fish, spearfish, or pick up a freaking rock off the beach, illegal to dig holes in the sand for the kids, illegal to surf except in marked areas, illegal to launch any windsurfer, catamaran, or rowboat off the beach, illegal to be on the beach after10 pm, illegal to show boobs on the beach (I particularly dislike that rule), .... the list goes on.... Good thing the diving is fantastic quite often and the place so pretty. M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 pm

swimjim wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:51 pm
Why don't they have a big sign that says GO AWAY!
They do actually. Here is a pic of the city's sign that hangs up on a pole at the busiest intersection downtown where all the tourists drive/walk by. Read the sign then I'll tell you what each line means.

Lines 1 and 2.  Everyone is welcome!

Line 3. Spend money eating at our restaurants and staying at our hotels.

Line 4. Then leave.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: General musings bordering on a rant.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:16 am

Yet it's legal to come to many Cali cities illegally, sleep, crap on the street and do drugs (needles provided by tax payers). We see it here, you can tell when a city (my beach house town) that has been invaded by retired Yankees....rules, laws and signs pop up everywhere....and taxes jump to pay for them.
Herman

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Re: General musings bordering on a rant.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:09 pm

And I thought the snorkel reg was nanny (not that I abide). Thank you once again pinstagram, fakebook, and the Kadasians for helping to ruin the hidden gems of Kalifornia.

Funny, down in Sandy Eggo that sign would read "incase of earthquake, GRAB YER BOARD and paddle out!"

Return to “General Discussions”