Porta Sub on Steroids...
SubMerge UV-26 Diver Propulsion Vehicle
- I just scored a used UV-26 Scooter for an almost affordable price. How in the world did I come to this crazy decision?
- It must have started with Sea Hunt Jerry's Porta Sub restoration. Definitely a thrill and an honor to try that out. But it wasn't very powerful.
- Then SwimJim's tech-dive buddy Eric let me try out his modern black scooter (might have been the same as this one). I "flew" it all the way around Fortune pond at depths of 40-60 feet while wearing just one 50 cf scuba tank... And had half the air left when I finished. Wow that thing is powerful... LIke the Porta Sub on Steroids! But those kinds of scooters cost $4,000 - $5,000.
- Then my dive buddy Tom let me try his Tekna red scooter and that was very powerful too... And supposedly used repairable ones can be had for $400-$500. So I started watching the ads to see if anything came up. But nothing did.
- Then this UV-26 showed up. Retail price is $3800... WAY out of my comfort zone. But this "slightly used" one was priced less than half that at $1500... Which is what the best Sea-Doo scooters sell for and they're nowhere near the scooter that this is. I called my son in Colorado and told him about it... He can be a terrible influence... "If its a bargain price, it's better than money in the bank... You can always re-sell it and get your money back." Well he's definitely got a good point there.
- So I bought it this morning. Wow... I can't believe it. So now if I put a Voit sticker on it... Can I call it a Porta Sub on steroids?
http://www.silent-submersion.com/Produc ... UV-26.html