Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Oh Yeah!

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:58 am

Hey Potential NAVED members,

Just a reminder that not only can you still join NAVED but you can also get a vintage speciality certification through PADI. I really like having both cards because; 1. It's fun to mess with LDS younglings. 2. It's just cool. Below is my temporary card. Most likely my real card will be with a hum-drum stock PADI photo because PADI doesn't like the flair of a mask on your head. :D I haven't seen the reall card yeat as it is sitting in my house in Texas.
Vintage PADI.jpg
20160929_125845.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Hood63
First Name: Harry

Re: Oh Yeah!

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Bronze06 wrote:Hey Potential NAVED members,

Just a reminder that not only can you still join NAVED but you can also get a vintage speciality certification through PADI. I really like having both cards because; 1. It's fun to mess with LDS younglings. 2. It's just cool. Below is my temporary card. Most likely my real card will be with a hum-drum stock PADI photo because PADI doesn't like the flair of a mask on your head. :D I haven't seen the reall card yeat as it is sitting in my house in Texas.
Vintage PADI.jpg
20160929_125845.jpg
Sounds great and would love a card from NAVED! Where would I send my Check and photo? Glad NAVED is not dead. Have been reading about them for the last few years but no new posts made me think the worst!
Rob
Hood63

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:27 am

Paraphrased from Bryan's post, How to join NAVED. see this link viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1699

To Join NAVED,

1. Join VDH or VSS discussion group.
2. Own and dive Pre 1975 Diving Equipment.
3. Dive at any of the Vintage Equipment Diving events world wide.
4. Dive with a current NAVED diver and have them sponsor you for the membership.
5. Have AT LEAST one photo of you in your Vintage Diving Equipment that look similar to the examples below. All photos are subject to approval.

Meet ANYof the item 1-4 above (not all of them) and # 5 and you are in. NAVED is a worldwide organization and anyone meeting the criteria above is welcome to join

Have a photo of you in your vintage diving equipment.Yours does not have to be exactly like these but please try and get close. If the photo does not clearly show your face and we can't tell who you are then please wait till you get a photo that does.

Send your photo to me at [email protected]. You can send the $25.00 card fee by PayPal to the same address or if you prefer to send check or money order send it to me at the VDH address made out to VDH Worldwide....Photos must be in digital format and sent by E-mail.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Aquala1
Lung Diver
First Name: Ty

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:09 am

I echo Rob here...I was thinking that NAVED dwindled too. Let me get a decent pic of me in my gear, and I'll join up.

Russ, what did the PADI vintage specialty entail?

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:32 am

Aquala1 wrote:I echo Rob here...I was thinking that NAVED dwindled too. Let me get a decent pic of me in my gear, and I'll join up.

Russ, what did the PADI vintage specialty entail?
Be a certified OW diver through a recognized agency, demonstrate knowledge of the history (1930s to 1970) of goggle/skin/aqualung/scuba diving, demonstrate an understanding of double hose regulators (principles of operation) and how they differ from modern regulators, demonstrate proper use of dive tables (RDP only NO eRDPs), demonstrated competency in doff UW, surface, dive and don vintage DH equipment (UW using DH regulator tank, strap harness, or vintage tank pack, weight belt, mask and fins), regulator placement, clearing procedures (regulator partially flooded and fully flooded), buddy breathing with a DH regulator, diving competency (buoyancy adjustment) w/o a BCD, use and difference in tanks and tank valves, principles of "J" valve operation, double hose regulator types and their peculiarities (upstream, downstream, balanced, unbalanced, double and single stage), maintenance of vintage equipment, diver must use equipment or viable modern substitute (reproduction/refurbished) of equipment available from 1970 and prior, mask clearing techniques (equalizing and non-equalizing types), DH troubleshooting, gauge types (capillary, open Bourdon, closed (oil filled) Bourdon and diaphragm), SPGs and Banjo fittings, etc... Alec gave me a lot of credit due to my originally diving DH gear back in the early 1970s as well as various videos I have on Youtube demonstrating the above either in the pool or out in the Red Sea to include regulators I have re-built, etc...
I hereby formally eat my words about PADI never allowing a Vintage Double Hose specialty certification in a post I did about 3 years ago!! Eating Words, eating words!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Another great card for are divers!

ubxdiver
Diver
First Name: John

Re: Oh Yeah! Vintage PADI card?

Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:06 pm

I’m disappointed I pursued the N.A.V.E,D. card too late and missed the opportunity to join. Supporting someone else’s question, where did you get a vintage card with PADI other than tripping to Destin, FL ?

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:43 pm

Unfortunately, you do not in the lower 48 unless Alec travels down to teach a class. There's maybe some history here, but originally a guy named Tim taught a vintage class in Hawaii, Alec taught vintage diving in Canada and on trips, and I was interested in doing similarly. I worked with Tim and I got certified to teach vintage diving here in CONUS. That put access at Canada/trips, Hawaii, and Florida/Washington. Several grumpy old guys here complained about me teaching a vintage diving class, presumably due to me only being then in my 30's. It was sort of an issue. People said I was in it "to make money", which given I work in consulting is sort of hilarious as I literally make in one billable hour what a scuba instructor makes in an entire weekend. So I don't teach it anymore. I actually don't teach scuba diving period anymore, to be fair.

I am not aware of anyone who teaches a certified vintage diving course in the lower 48. When I did teach this, I trained 8 people the entire time I offered the specialty. Simply put, there's not a market for it. Scuba diving in general is a dying sport:

https://medium.com/scubanomics/scuba-di ... b9eecd8540

On a brighter note, there are many people in the lower 48 who dive vintage scuba gear and I'm sure many of them would be happy to help you learn. Also Alec Pearce does still travel to the US periodically I believe and you could always ask him to teach you. I'm not sure if he teaches scuba diving any more.

Here's Alec's YouTube Channel which has contact info:

https://www.youtube.com/@AlecPeirceScub ... nter/about

Anyway I'm about to spend the rest of 2022 on a Cruise through the Caribbean and do some diving so I hope you have a good remainder of your year :)

Ron
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:15 pm

I thought about creating a vintage scuba class but it took about 30 seconds to realize the economies of scale did not warrant doing so financially or time-wise (at least for me). I believe Ty at Aquala is looking at teaching a vintage class and currently acquiring gear for that purpose. I'll show friends who I know are good divers how to dive vintage, letting them borrow my gear. That usually entails one dive and they are done. :) These days I am hearing more and more that those who want to dive vintage usually learn on their own (the way many of us taught ourselves deco, wreck, deep, etc... back in the bad old days. :D )
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ubxdiver
Diver
First Name: John

Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:39 pm

Well I appreciate you spending THAT much time considering it.

"it took about 30 seconds to realize the economies of scale did not warrant doing so financially or time-wise"

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:02 pm

You have to remember that he's a lawyer so that is probably about 200 bucks worth of time :lol: Ain't that right Mark Esquire?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:54 pm

Ron wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:02 pm
You have to remember that he's a lawyer so that is probably about 200 bucks worth of time :lol: Ain't that right Mark Esquire?
If I was making $200 per every 1/2 minute I'd be long gone sitting on a tropical island under the Pacific sun. :) That is still the plan but it will be a year or so before I get there. Waiting for housing and lot prices in Kailua-Kona area to stabilize lower than where they are now after a round of panic buying....
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:04 pm

Dude no doubt. I retired in 2022. Then I was like, "Welp, market is tanked, houses are inflated...I guess I should stop reading Hemingway books and work."

LOL.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:00 pm

Ron wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:04 pm
Dude no doubt. I retired in 2022. Then I was like, "Welp, market is tanked, houses are inflated...I guess I should stop reading Hemingway books and work."

LOL.
You got that right. I've been "semi-retired " for 2 years now but clients keep finding me and dragging me kicking and screaming back into the courtroom to help them get out of, or further into, and through, whatever mess they have gotten themselves involved with. I am not complaining 'cause the economy is f'n with my full retirement plans and having my kid in college out of state is not a money-making endeavor. 👀

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”