John Lundy
Lung Diver

NAVED T-shirts, etc

Fri May 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Has anyone thought about some NAVED t-shirts and perhaps some coffee mugs? I think they would sell very well and be another way to promote vintage diving. I think a video on vintage diving and equipment would is a great idea. I think the membership could come up with a wide variety of gear so folks could see what was used in the past and also know that one can still use vintage gear if the desire to.

John
John Lundy
NAVED Member #135

First dive in 1959, Voit 72 cuft tank and back pack, USD
Mistral regulator, Voit mask and Voit Viking fins.

John Lundy
Lung Diver

Fri May 19, 2006 8:00 pm

Sorry for the typos - just watched several episodes of Sea Hunt and I'm still giddy :lol:

John
John Lundy
NAVED Member #135

First dive in 1959, Voit 72 cuft tank and back pack, USD
Mistral regulator, Voit mask and Voit Viking fins.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Sat May 20, 2006 6:45 am

All great ideas John, and I agree. I was wondering about mabe some small posters / notices being made up and we could take them to our local dive shops to have displayed on their bulletin boards? Both of the shops I deal with in Traverse City have bulletin boards and I'm sure they wouldn't mind doing this. Let's face it vintage diving is HERE, and if we want it to remain it's really up to EACH ONE OF US to spread the "Gospel" so to speak. Anyway; just my $.02. Safe diving to all! Terry Stevens Benzonia, Michigan :P

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat May 20, 2006 11:25 pm

Well, it is like this, we are going to have to have a board to handle such things. Right now there is no one to collect the money or maintain an account for it or to maintain books and accountability.

Along with Ripper and Bryan, I have sort of been moderating this forum and of course the NAVED web page for which I asked imput such as articals and stories.

Yes, T-shirts and coffee mugs and several other ideas have been mentioned but who will keep the money, who will send the items out, who will have them made. Perhaps we can twist the King of T-Shirt's arm for advice on a NAVED shirt.

OK, once we collect money, without a board there is no one to decide what to do with it or how to spend it.

Sure, if we have a fellow with video expertise who could film some vintage diving, visit some collectors and film that and some action stuff etc that would be INCREADABLE, do we have any vidieogaphers among us. Another possibility or additional project would be a glossy five or six page NAVED pamphlet full of pictures---to give to dive clubs, shops and all that.

So, I guess what I am saying, killjoy that I am, first things first.

One of my biggest worries now is that someone will still NAVED from us. How do we move to protect the name? etc

Talking about spreading the gospel, we are going to have to have a board to decide who gets in and some REAL criteria for membership--a path to membership that is clear. Yes, we sort of have one but it may need a bit more definition.

Did I mention we need a board of directors? LOL.

James

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat May 20, 2006 11:29 pm

"One of my biggest worries now is that someone will still NAVED from us. How do we move to protect the name? etc"

The word I intended was STEAL!!!

Among my many talents, typing is not one of them, I have big fingers, one is missing a part and I cannot see up close!!!!!!!!!!!So, please forgive my numerous typos, I actually did graduate 8th grade and have the scars on my knuckles from the nuns to prove it.

James

treasureman
Master Diver

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 pm

perhaps the poor mans copyright on the name NAVED

A document detailing the name when it was formed, a blank card included with the front page of a newspaper, sent to a persons address registered, and then it is not opened. At this point if any tries to use the name, it can be proven it was used by someone else from a specific perior of time.

Other side is to make a numbered com[any, and use NAVEDC as a corporate style and rtegister the corporate name. I hate this keyboard it makes so many spelling errors
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:01 pm

James,

Realizing that many things need to be done and you've got a lot of things going on I'd like to volunteer to help you whenever you need assistance. Just let me know.

- Joe
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:02 pm

Nemrod wrote:... Perhaps we can twist the King of T-Shirt's arm for advice on a NAVED shirt. ...James
Here's a thought regarding the t-shirt idea.

Maybe NAVED could allow the T-Shirt King to make and sell NAVED t-shirts on his own until NAVED gets to that point?

I'm thinking that a good looking shirt would have the word "NAVED" on the chest and a large NAVED card on the back. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:32 pm

We could grant Rob the "nod" to make some shirts. It is OK by me. Eventually NAVED might wish to control such things as is only right but for now it is entirely OK with me if you guys agree and want him to do so, for Rob to make a run of NAVED shirt, for Captain to make a run of decals or such as that.
Again, such things as this would be decided on a case by case basis and nobody should assume that allowing one person to make shirts or coffee cups means the same is owed to another. That is my thoughts for now.

James

treasureman
Master Diver

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Naved is a claqss act, and should not for example be cheapened like the RCMP did when they licensed their likeness to be made in China.

Rob does a great T, and I dont know whoi does the cups, but like the card, perhaps some art work first, then design approval.

A nice t showing the double hose regs etc is Jake by me
NAVED # 133...

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:13 pm

Yes, Treasureman, exactly. I agree also that if a person, be it Rob or whoever makes a NAVED t shirt (sorry Rob, not trying to put you on the spot T shirt King--lol) but NAVED should at least approve of the design. I know Rob produces tasteful and historic designs but imagine a NAVED shirt with some of the more colorful phrases and designs so common today--no thanks. Vintage look, vintage design, vintage taste and manners, that is what NAVED wants, no crude or vulger associations.

How will we keep some unscupulous person from capitalizing on our NAVED club? Well, I am open to suggestions.

It would be nice to have them for Wazee. Ok, artists, design away, post your ideas and maybe we can coerce Rob into making them.

Jsmes

treasureman
Master Diver

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm

Use the poor mans coyright. do the design, , make a copy of the design, put the date and time , put the copyright name on it, send it to yourself registered and dont open it unless someone steals the stuff and tries their own. Also placing a small barely legible (design copyright NAVED 2006 , all rights reserved) somewhere somewhere on the T (near the bottom hem) helps. it wont stop a thief, but it does tend to keep them honest
NAVED # 133...

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:05 am

Getting this group to decide on anything will be a major undertaking!!! Remember what we went through with the card......Anyhow, I know that Rob the T-shirt king is pretty full up on work and diving trips for the summer...I bet he would consider it when things slow down though. Lisa Miller is working with me on a new design for VDH shirts and I'm sure we could tap into her artistic ability if we wanted to...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:02 am

Bryan is right. I would probably have a very hard time getting a concensus(sp) from the group on the design. I would be more than happy to help out with a project like this, but I am afraid too many people would be unhappy with the shirt, as they all would have a different vision and expectation. The card design was a real headache for Bryan, but I must admit that it is the coolest, so perhaps it was worth it.
I will always accept artwork and ideas from people and maybe somebody will send me something that is the DEAL and I will not be able to resist making the shirt?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:11 am

From one who also knows about concensus. One of the best ways to make a decision on this is exactly as Rob has stated. If someone has an idea, float it by the group. Then, if enough ideas are received, a vote could be taken. If the person who is having the shirts made, say Rob, likes the results of the vote, then make that shirt. If not, make it the way he would like. From a person who is full of ideas, but no artistic talent what-so-ever, I think that no matter what the design is (within limits) it will be a hit with the NAVED divers. Of course I was broken hearted when Lisa's photo was chosen over mine, even thought Fred tried to vote hundreds of times, the design for the NAVED card is wonderful. I am sure whatever T-shirt is conceived, it will be great. After all, Rob is the man!!!!!!!
Allan

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”