Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

NAVED Website is closing

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Guys I need some help. A year or so ago I separated the NAVED website from the VDH website so it could stand alone and be more of a neutral ground for everyone. When I moved VDH it did not include the NAVED site nor the NAVED.info domain name.

My previous web administrator and I could not agree on the price to host the NAVED site nor a price for the domain name that I was willing to pay out of my own pocket.

The NAVED.info domain name price is $150.00 or we can get a new domain name?

Hosting the site by itself will run about $120.00 per year.

Please let me know as a group what you would like to do. For now I am going to host the NAVED pages and stuff on my domain until we can decide what to do.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: NAVED Website is closing

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Ok, now to tick off a few people. It is time for NAVED to s#*t or get off the pot. We have dues, elect officers and have NAVED actually do something. That is my input, so somebody tell me where or what to do with my thoughts.
Allan, NAVED #109.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Robohips77
Master Diver

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:08 pm

ALLEN for president!!!! :D
I am game for what Allen says. But I guess my question is do we wnat to incorporate the NAVED sight into Bryans and still have it as a membership driven as Allen says but just have the website as a separate link within VDH. I guess what I and obviously Bryan would not want to see is a website that duplicates what may be already occurring on VDH.com. I think an adminsistrative fee approvedby the group to pay for the space needed on the current site (if possible) may work. I do agree that an offical group could be formed and even possibly a 501 c3 could be requested.
We have a group that supports our park district and stands alone in it's finacials but their website and inforamtion is usually derived and actually developed by the Park District with approval from the groups board of trustees.Just some thoughts. I am up for assisting where ever the group wants to go.
Robohips 77.. ( 6 more weeks of rehab and then the swimming begins. Springs bound in December. :D :D 8) )
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

pesceuomo

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:34 pm

My 2-cents..
The group is too small to warrant the expense of hosting a separate NAVED site. I would suggest reincorporating it in VDH.com as a separate section. Let it be a membership driven set of pages. Set them up as read only for non-members. With proper formatting the section can still be search engine friendly.

John

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:36 pm

I think that we could host it here. This isn't like one of those crappy dive shop clubs that pretends it is something different when it is really owned by the dive shop, this is the NAVED. If not for VDH, there would be no NAVED. I think we should just accept that the two are linked, albeit not run by the same people, and save everyone money on domain fees and such by having it hosted here on VDH.

I also agree with Allan. I would pay dues to be in the NAVED. If we keep our costs low, then maybe we could do something cool with our dues. Maybe we could sponsor a "try vintage diving" type of thing where we could show people how our stuff works. I don't know, I am just brainstorming. I agree with Allan though, we either need to do something or let it die. If it dies, let's all just pay 15 bucks and have come VDH master diver cards made so that we can represent our affiliation. Besides, I love getting fills with my NAVED card.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Lets just put NAVED back on the VDH forum. VDH has done more for NAVED than any other site anyway. As for the domain name I would rather eat glass that reward that "webmaster" for his bad behavior. Let him sit on the domain and rot says I.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm

I agree with the popular opinion that we should keep it on VDH if at all possible.
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:49 am

Agreed, keep NAVED here at VDH. I also am up for paying dues, but would like to see some kind of activities planned and carried out. Me and Ron have discussed having "Dive into History" days at the Florida Springs, where divers could try out vintage gear. Having NAVED banners, membership materials etc available, short lectures on the subject and so forth.
This would IMO help to grow the group beyond the 150 or so people it currently is. Just my 2 cents on the subject..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:39 pm

I also definitely agree that NAVED should remain associated with VDH if at all possible, and should the time come when we have to pay dues to be a member; so be it. We've come too far to let NAVED go out of existence, and like all of you I'm proud to be a member. Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

hallen41
Skin Diver

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:28 pm

I am all for keeping NAVED active. What ever he group decides, I will go along.
Maybe Annual dues for get togethers and websight costs would help keep it going.
I would like to see NAVED be more active, we just have the get members to brain storm some ideas and it will probably take off again.

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”