YankDownUnder
Master Diver

A little problem

Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:39 pm

A little problem... I am a member of HDS, and The Historical Divers Society does not sanction diving events because of liability issues. That's why our group, Australian Classic Divers is seperate.

As for pictures.... With a face like mine I avoid cameras. The only picture of me on the web is on Dan's site and the picture was taken in 1962. I was once told by a photographer that if I wanted a better picture I would have to bring a better head!

On something a bit different. My son and I dived double hose here in Australia last Thursday, Australia Day. His second tank was a Faber 100 and his Nemrod Snark III yoke would not go over the valve. He had to dive an Aqua Lung Legend on the second dive. At only 19 he came up and complained about having to dive a single hose. He said his Snark III is better in every way.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:11 pm

So far I have agreed with most of the posts on this subject, however, I do have an opinion (albetit meager) on what is meant by vintage. I started diving in 1962 with a USD Hydrolung Supreme, one of the first decent USD singlehose regulator. There was the Aquamatic at first, a piece of junk in my opinion, but USD began making a series of good singlehoses about the time I began diving. I dove a double hose now and then, really loved them, but when you are 16 and wanted to go to college, you couldn't afford a double hose. Skip ahead 45+ years and now that I can afford a double hose, I have some and dive them. Wonders of wonders, there are others in this world of like mind. So this "vintage" dive "association" was born. Thanks to Bryan, Dan, Chucko and all the others who service these old treasures we can again (or for the first time) dive a special piece of dive history-a double hose regulator. I have early USD, Healthways, Sportsways and even a White Stag single hose that I still dive, but the double hose is what makes me the happiest. So, to me vintage means a double hose, one that made the "golden age" of diving. I would like this NAVED to be double hose divers. Not that a great USD Calypso of 1962 isn't vintage in age, it just isn't in my humble opinion what this organization is about.
Allan

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:29 am

I think Bryan's simple criteria are a good place to begin. Let's not try to complicate it. It does not kill me if a few guys like single hose vintage regulators though I agree with Allen, nothing says vintage like double hose. It is a center piece of the entire concept. I don't think Yankdownunder has a problem because we all have read his posts and know he is a vintage diver so per Bryan's original post he is eligible for a card with or without a picture. But, I am sure he really will want his picture on the card if only to scare the D rings guys! The Inland Club and Historical Diver group have an obvious eligibility. Simple is good. Join the forums and introduce yourself and hang out or take a picture of you diving your vintage equipment or come and dive with one of several vintage dive meets or be a "known to the vintage community" vintage personality. I think that is what Bryan was saying and that sounds pretty simple. And, if there were to be a trouble maker come along and I only half way know of one that some of you might remember and I will not mention his name--well--we deal with that when we come to it. Obviously, once and a while some unscrupulous person will slip through the cracks and we will have to send Gomez to repo the card :evil: . No big deal.
Nemrod

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:19 am

What about a couple of NAVED card categories?

If you actually dive you can get the NAVED Master Diver card.

If you don't dive (or can't / won't prove it) and don't join VSS or VDH your card would read "Bubblewatcher" or "Landlubber".

This would keep the appropriate separation but still allow Bryan to sell a few more cards to collectors.

Just my 2 cents...
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:28 am

Let's see......The cards cost $10.00 each to make and priority mail shipping has gone up to $4.05......I'm keeping the .95 cent profit that I make on each card!!!

I say all or nothing. Let's keep it simple.

I'm looking forward to discussing the issue at SDIII with many of us together in a group. When we get back I can post the group thoughts and perhaps let the members vote on a few things and go from there.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

oldmossback

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:25 pm

Hey guys,

Y'all are throwing so much stuff out there on requirements for membership, yer kinda running over us who don't have much opportunity to travel for pleasure. When I do, it's to get away with my wife for some much needed rest from my company's support of Gov. anti terrorest programs, keeping the peace in far off lands, etc and other BS..........

Yeah I dive, not as much as I want, work and building a small horse rancho takes priority......I'm sure others have other responsibities that take priortiy over them making the vintage dive trips, despite how much they'd like to meet everyone and do some group vintage diving.......

I've tried to show my past and current history by photos and posted a lot of my two cents worth of comments and ideas, but run outta room for photos......I've read others strings of folks who are not commenting on making the current trips...but who have lots of vintage experience.........please don't leave us out of your core group......

Just an extra two cents...........

JES
Plank Owner

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:31 pm

oldmossback wrote:Hey guys,

Y'all are throwing so much stuff out there on requirements for membership, yer kinda running over us who don't have much opportunity to travel for pleasure. When I do, it's to get away with my wife for some much needed rest from my company's support of Gov. anti terrorest programs, keeping the peace in far off lands, etc and other BS..........

Yeah I dive, not as much as I want, work and building a small horse rancho takes priority......I'm sure others have other responsibities that take priortiy over them making the vintage dive trips, despite how much they'd like to meet everyone and do some group vintage diving.......

I've tried to show my past and current history by photos and posted a lot of my two cents worth of comments and ideas, but run outta room for photos......I've read others strings of folks who are not commenting on making the current trips...but who have lots of vintage experience.........please don't leave us out of your core group......

Just an extra two cents...........
oldmossback,

Thank you for the reality check. This will help keep everyone "grounded" when it is finally discussed.
NAVED Master Diver #108

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:40 pm

I think the criteria is about as easy as it's going to get.....

Everyone has time to become a member here or at VSS and join in the message forums........

If you can't do that.......Then you could join one of the vintage dives going on across the country........

If you can't do that........Then you could at least favor us by showing us a photo or two of you ACTUALLY DIVING in vintage scuba equipment.....

If you can't do ANY of the three I'm willing to bet that you ARE NOT diving vintage equipment and are just looking for another card for your log book.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:21 pm

".........please don't leave us out of your core group...... "'
etc posted by a few with similar worries--don't worry--everyone knows who you are :D --it is going to be OK.

On a side note, perhaps it would be helpful when a new diver joins the group to make their bio a little more informative. Of course, after a few posts and hanging out most of us figure out who they are and learn the names etc, it would just speed things up. Not talking about the ID card, just the general get to know thing.
:D Nemrod

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:36 pm

Nemrod wrote:".........please don't leave us out of your core group...... "'
etc posted by a few with similar worries--don't worry--everyone knows who you are :D --it is going to be OK.

On a side note, perhaps it would be helpful when a new diver joins the group to make their bio a little more informative. Of course, after a few posts and hanging out most of us figure out who they are and learn the names etc, it would just speed things up. Not talking about the ID card, just the general get to know thing.
:D Nemrod
Not sure what they are talking about??? I want to get as many divers involved as we can.....I want the vintage community to expand and grow and become one that a lot of divers want to join in on. All we are trying to do is establish a very very simple criteria for joining our social orginazation......Just trying to split the cotton from the seed!

JES
Plank Owner

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:47 pm

Bryan wrote:I think the criteria is about as easy as it's going to get.....

Everyone has time to become a member here or at VSS and join in the message forums........

If you can't do that.......Then you could join one of the vintage dives going on across the country........

If you can't do that........Then you could at least favor us by showing us a photo or two of you ACTUALLY DIVING in vintage scuba equipment.....

If you can't do ANY of the three I'm willing to bet that you ARE NOT diving vintage equipment and are just looking for another card for your log book.
Bryan,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Your proposals are simple and straight forward and like you said "If you can't do ANY of the three I'm willing to bet that you ARE NOT diving vintage equipment..."

I can't imagine any reason short of "just looking for another card for your log book" that you couldn't become part of the Vintage Diving Community. The growth of the Vintage Diving Community with people who share our passion is a win-win situation.
NAVED Master Diver #108

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:10 am

Look folks, this worrying over a picture is a bit surprising to me :?: . This is the 21st century and 2006. You can get a digi camera at Wal Mart for 12 dollars, I have one. The one that took my pic cost about 60 dollars and I know you all have cameras and many places I think can scan or make you a gif etc from an old fashioned film camera. I don't think the card needs an underwater shot or even an action shot, just a simple pic with an uncluttered background with your vintage gear on yourself.

For example, you could do a upper body shot with vntage dive gear using an upward angle agaisnt the sky using the fill flash mode even cheap digi cams have. This could be done on dry land in your backyard!!!

Please, let's not get carried away over non issues. This is--how you say--dirt simple.

The community has to know who you are before you get a card and the criteria Bryan set forth are simple for anyone to accomplish. It has to be this way to prevent the cards being used as a joke. These cards are not a joke and while we all undertand that we must also understand that there must be some tiny threashold to cross in order to be issued one.

In fact and correct me Bryan, Lisa, if I am wrong, the Vintage ID card does not actually have to have a scuba pic, just a nice picture of yourself. I think the "picture in vintage dive gear" was requested as one of three ways to qualify for the card.

1. Be a member of the VDH or VSS forums in good standing.
or
2. Provide a picture showing yourself diving vintage gear
or
3. Join in on one of several vintage dives
or
4. and I may be adding this one but I imagine if a fellow were a known vintage diver personality at large such as if Loyd Bridges, if he were still alive, requested a card he might qualify- :P

Note the word--- OR.

Not---repeat --NOT--- the word ---AND.

So, 1 or 2 or 3 as opposed to 1 and 2 and 3. Is that correct :?: , if I have confused this just let Gomez cut my hoses :( --- and then of course a nice, dignified and appropriate picture of yourself for the card. EASY.

James

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:30 am

James you are right on the money with what you said..... I don't think we should process any NAVED cards that have a photo of someone wearing modern diving equipment ....

Jerry Moseman had photos of himself from 1964 to 2006 and he was using the same double hose in every photo!

It's kinda like Chuck said......Would you send in a photo of your PT Cruiser with your classic car club application ?

Has not been an issue yet but I can see it on the horizon.....

In the future if there is a question of weather to process a card or not I'll just put it up on the board and the group can decide......Lisa nor I care to be the judge and jury on this issue.

diverdown1955
Skin Diver

Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Hey Bryan,
Just got my N.A.V.E.D. card and it's really attractive ! Just that old guy on the back detracts from it's beauty! However, that great DA aquamaster makes it all better! Thank's again my friend, your one of a kind. :D

Best regards,
Jerry Moseman
diverdown1955
"I FEEL BETTER ALREADY"

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Double hose card Thanks!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:39 am

Tanks alot for the nice card.
Mike Nelson would be proud!!!!!!!!!
Jerry :D :x :evil: :twisted: :wink: :lol: :o

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”