Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

NAVED Membership ?????

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:26 am

Since we started on the NAVED cards project there have been a few challenges with who should receive a card and who should not. I would like the help and advice of my fellow Vintage Equipment Divers on this subject……

The following is just my OPINION on the criteria for issuing a card to someone.

Be an active member of VSS or VDH forum and participate in discussions when you can.

Attend and dive with us at one of the Vintage Equipment Diving gatherings like Sand Dog, Dan’s Lake Wazee event, Jeff Rices’ Portage Quarry Dive or one of the events put on by The Historical Diving Society.’

If you cannot attend there should be at least one photo of you diving in Vintage Equipment…..I.E. SCUBA gear made before 1975.

I’m not looking for a 200 yard underwater swim or doff and don at 50’. I want our loosely knit group to gain merit and become a group that others will be excited about joining and participating in.

NOW LET THE GAMES BEGIN! What say the group!!!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:08 am

Exactly ditto on what Bryan said. I fully agree, the criteria Bryan set forth is simple and easily accomplished by anyone who is sincerely interested in vintage diving.
However, if they look like a hamster in a rubber suit we may need further verification of credentials by having the plebe swimming underwater 50 yards while swigging down Ol'Hawk and cut a double hose blinded while wrassling a manatee all on a single breath. :shock:
No, on second thought, exactly what Bryan said. :D

James

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:08 am

Sounds good to me. !975 puts it well into the single hose era, should we recognize some particular models of single hose regulators as vintage. If so which ones.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:14 am

I'd say 75 and back on any single hosers.....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Creed
Master Diver

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:55 am

Now, dammit, I can't meet the picture criteria, yet. My Aquamaster is in a box, and awaiting Bryan's touch as soon as the first paycheck from my new contract comes in. I've got pictures of my goofy looking self with a Conshelf XI. Does that count? And I plan on seeing you guys for Sandog, so I'll meet that as well. :)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:19 pm

Creed I know you also post on Scuba Board and have for a long time. You have been a member here since November and have posted 39 times. I belive you are also a member of Dan's board. JMO but I'd say you are within the criteria for a card....You might want to wait till SDIII so you can have the photo on your card show you with your two hoser on.

I'm trying to prevent a bunch of BS artists that think we are all impressed by their avatar or the crap in their signature line....It is way too easy to be an internet super hero....

One of my favorites is from an E-mail I got when I offered the 1st batch for free.

" Hey can I get on the list for one of those cards? I used to dive that old stuff but now I can afford new I don't have to"

Creed
Master Diver

Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:44 pm

Bryan wrote:Creed I know you also post on Scuba Board and have for a long time. You have been a member here since November and have posted 39 times. I belive you are also a member of Dan's board. JMO but I'd say you are within the criteria for a card....You might want to wait till SDIII so you can have the photo on your card show you with your two hoser on.
Yup, I think I will. I got into the vintage gear because all the people with whom I agreed on scubaboard were vintage divers, so I got interested, and the equipment is just beautiful. Plus, it fits with my reductionist mentality to diving. Less crap to put on = more fun. And, it's vintage machinery. Same reason I like old motorcyles and Volkswagens.
I'm trying to prevent a bunch of BS artists that think we are all impressed by their avatar or the crap in their signature line....It is way too easy to be an internet super hero....
Oh, I understand. My post was mostly tongue in cheek.
One of my favorites is from an E-mail I got when I offered the 1st batch for free.

" Hey can I get on the list for one of those cards? I used to dive that old stuff but now I can afford new I don't have to"
Afford the new stuff??? Someone point me towards the cache of cheap "old stuff"! Well, I can see the tanks, at least. I haven't paid over $50 for a tank yet, since I always go for the old steel 72s. And that includes hydro/vip. But I've bought several good single hoses for the price of my aquamaster. And I haven't got it rebuilt yet. I guess that is the price of good taste.

scubanut

Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:58 pm

I agree with Bryan. The criteria that you have set up should be easy to meet by a true vintage diver, or by any one who is truly interested in vintage diving

Mudhog
Lung Diver

Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:24 pm

Bryan wrote:I'd say 75 and back on any single hosers.....
Cool, the Calypso III is older and I have a Calypso J coming.
Oh yeah, the steel 72 showed up today!

treasureman
Master Diver

Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:30 pm

The only thing keeping me sane during the sold freeze up here in the frozen north, is the thought that in a few months I will again be able to enjoy the vintage gear again, that made diving simple, less cumbersome, more fun.

The deeper i got into "modern diving", i had to have a computer, a BC, D rinmgs, lights gizmos, more gizmos, and still more gizmos.

Returning to a simpler form allows me to survive the long cold winters.

Three cheers for vintage diving.

Hooya..hooya..hooya
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:48 pm

Hey wait a minute there Chucko, my RAM is 1972 and my Calypso J is 1966!!!!

Chuck what if we have all single hose "vintage" divers wrassle a manatee while swigging Ol'Hawk or better yet pull an alligators tail and cut it off and present the tail to the Grand Master Gomez for inspection. If'n they do that will you count them in?

Creed, if your planning on riding with me you darn well better have that DA going or I am going to make you drive the whole way sucking on that stupid Conshelf. :twisted:

No worries there feller Kansaw dude, I got you covered :D , if that DA of yours becomes a bathtub accesory you can use my DA. You know, the one I had offered for sale for only 350 dollars with guage and banjo? Yep, after you use it you will beg me to sell it to you for 600 dollars. It is that good! 8)
Nemrod

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:56 pm

My La Spirotechnique Royal Mistral is at least a 75-76 model.... I have 2 non mag Conshelfs that are from 66-67.

Creed
Master Diver

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:56 pm

Nemrod wrote:Hey wait a minute there Chucko, my RAM is 1972 and my Calypso J is 1966!!!!
I think my XI is just about as old as my AM.
Chuck what if we have all single hose "vintage" divers wrassle a manatee while swigging Ol'Hawk or better yet pull an alligators tail and cut it off and present the tail to the Grand Master Gomez for inspection. If'n they do that will you count them in?

Creed, if your planning on riding with me you darn well better have that DA going or I am going to make you drive the whole way sucking on that stupid Conshelf. :twisted:
Oooh.....that would make a great picture. Get a pic of the two of us in full gear, driving in.

No worries there feller Kansaw dude, I got you covered :D , if that DA of yours becomes a bathtub accesory you can use my DA. You know, the one I had offered for sale for only 350 dollars with guage and banjo? Yep, after you use it you will beg me to sell it to you for 600 dollars. It is that good! 8)
Nemrod
That's mighty kind of you! I assure you, the DA will never be a bathtub accessory. It just needs someone with more time than I have.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:03 pm

I think your proposed requirements are fair and especially like the idea that they must join and post on either (or on both) VDH & VSS.

What about those already holding membership in Frans Carlson's group (Inland Vintage Diver's Group)?

Since they host the Wazee event (and have their own membership cards) I would think they should be included as well.
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:35 pm

I agree with Bryan. After all, this is owing to all his and Leesa's hard work. In order to be Matriculated in the very exclusive NAVED you must be approved by the standards set forth by Bryan...... JMO We don't want a bunch of d ring guys getting them for there cats or dogs after all. If the person wanting the card is serious he will be a member of VDH or some other vintage group. We are the coolest guys in the water and soon they will all be begging to get in. :wink:

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”