capn_tucker
Master Diver

Re: Things we should look at changing.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Having frequent "Dive into History" events would generate more interest IMO. These could be done locally at popular dive spots (like the springs or quarries).
Set up banners, have tables laid out with vintage regs, tanks, masks, fins etc for those interested to try out in a controlled and supervised setting.
As Alan said, there would be many times not much interest is shown. But if done on a regular basis, divers would eventually see that vintage diving is "for real", and not some weird fad.
I doubt vintage diving will ever be mainstream, but I think if done right it could be more than just a tiny niche in the food chain..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:04 pm

simonbeans wrote:Maybe you could suggest some ideas that could make NAVED more visible or interesting. We did at one time do a diver of the month. Or maybe someone who has access to some nice dive site run events more often. Obviously you wouldn't get good attendance all the time, but if we knew that there would be a Sand Dog, Portage, some west coast activity, some northeast (not in CT however) event throughout the year, then maybe we could be more visible.
We even tried to be more visible with NAVED shirts. We have NAVED stickers for cars, etc. It is time for someone to suggest more activities to assist the NAVED group in growing.

Us old guys are getting older as we write. I think we should ask the youngster to carry tanks and weights for us at Sand Dog. What do you think?
We seem to have a cluster of divers in Florida and Ohio. Perhaps concentrating where the "man and women" power is would be a start. I'd love to travel to California too. My personal economy would have to do some serious recovering though. Pretty tough during these days of "I hope it will change". LOL

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:46 pm

I am willing to do my part too (besides carrying grumpy Allan's tanks). If we want to sanction some NAVED events, even small ones, I will help or even assume responsibility for running them. I have no problem following, but I have no problem leading either. I would bet that Blue Grotto or one of the other springs would be receptive to an event, they never care if Jim and I are there. We could invite a dive shop, or several, or even local dive clubs. We could provide gear to try if divers pay their own entrance fee, and maybe couple it with a power point presentation and narration or question and answer session. We could take pictures for people interested in joining the NAVED and offer mentoring for those who would like to improve. I think that there should be some oversight from the leadership of the NAVED as to what we should cover in the presentation and such, but I will do my part for Florida and Georgia. I will even renew my insurance to supervise divers if I must. Capn Tucker will help me I bet. I'm just throwing that one out there.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 pm

slonda828 wrote:I am willing to do my part too (besides carrying grumpy Allan's tanks). If we want to sanction some NAVED events, even small ones, I will help or even assume responsibility for running them. I have no problem following, but I have no problem leading either. I would bet that Blue Grotto or one of the other springs would be receptive to an event, they never care if Jim and I are there. We could invite a dive shop, or several, or even local dive clubs. We could provide gear to try if divers pay their own entrance fee, and maybe couple it with a power point presentation and narration or question and answer session. We could take pictures for people interested in joining the NAVED and offer mentoring for those who would like to improve. I think that there should be some oversight from the leadership of the NAVED as to what we should cover in the presentation and such, but I will do my part for Florida and Georgia. I will even renew my insurance to supervise divers if I must. Capn Tucker will help me I bet. I'm just throwing that one out there.
Yup, I'm up for it. Mine and Ron's combined Voit/USD fleet could probably equip an entire platoon of vintage "studii".. :)

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Hmm. Interesting reading. Just for the record I love all the old stuff - double hose and single hose. I collect and dive with everything I can get my hands on and fix up. Some of them I try to improve, just like a hot-rodder with his cars.
I love vintage stuff, and I'm getting to be vintage too! Y'all relax and remember that we are doing this for FUN!
The older I get the better I was.

vshearer

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:14 am

slonda828 wrote:
I have never not pulled something off that I have ran into half-cocked. .
Give it a couple more years. :D

(Cleaning up keyboard now.)

Mudhog
Lung Diver

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:00 am

"if everyone over the age of 50's doctor says "no more diving",,,

That struck close to home, next Monday I turn 50, feels weird cause when I was a teenager I figgered I'dd not live to 40, no particular reason just a hunch. Thing is an infected hernia came close to making that true.

Back on topic, unless they take my card away I will be diving, have had a few people show intrest in my old gear but that was all. My talents do not include influncing others by my actions to follow suit, ie I'm not a natural leader.
With a grin on my face and bubbles at my back!

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Even if the only thing accomplished is that (at least some) divers come away from a "Dive into History" event realizing you don't need 30 lbs of weight, uber expensive bcds, computers, heads up displays, umpteen dangling hoses, gauges and 47 D-rings to have fun diving, then I will consider it a job well done.. :)

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Well, it is no secret what I think of single hose regs YAWN! So I will not beat a dead regulator.

As for the NAVED pamphlet! I think it looks great and very professional and by definition is such since it was paid for by Bryan and made by a printer. I am guessing that if somebody wanted to volunteer their funds to make a better mousetrap for NAVED in the form of a new brochure....then great! Until then the crappy ones that Bryan had made are going to have to do. :?

I guess I am just one of those useless old divers? :roll:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 pm

1969ivan1 wrote: As for the NAVED pamphlet! I think it looks great and very professional and by definition is such since it was paid for by Bryan and made by a printer.
I was not the only one who paid to have them made. I know that Nemrod did most of the leg work and paid a large chunk of the cost as well. Sorry if I don't know the others that went in on them as well. I don't mean to omit or forget your contribution as they are all appreciated very much.

Double hose diving grows and grows and there are lots and lots of divers who prefer to do their own thing and dive when they want to. Frankly many people don't have limitless vacation time and what time they do get they often have other obligations to with family and such and therefore cannot attend the functions we do have. Speaking selfishly for myself I have a full time job that I am required to work a 50 hour week at. Then I come home to work on VDH stuff and now my new family.
I do welcome and will support in anyway I can vintage divers that want to spread the word and have local gatherings.
Something some of you don't know and other may have forgotten is that one winter I offered FREE of charge use of 7 double hose regulators to ANYONE who wanted to use them at an event, club meeting, vintage scuba night etc etc....All you had to do was pay the shipping cost. NO ONE took me up on it....So the regulators went to the Bahamas and now have been rotated into the "Explorer Kit"
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:17 pm

And your efforts are greatly appreciated Bryan. I know what you mean about limited time. I can only get a Saturday off every few weeks; luckily places like the Springs are close enough to visit in a single day and still get back in time for work. I myself haven't been in a position to do much with events, but hope with assistance from Ron and others close by to get the ball rolling with some local stuff very soon..

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm

For the record, I was not deriding anyone based upon their age. I was also not discrediting anything that anyone had already done. I do, however, think that to sit back and be content with what is now (in the NAVED sense, not the VDH sense) is to set one's self up for failure later. That's just me though, I've always been one to be reeled into the plane, not kicked out of it. I'll just keep further comments to myself and leave the NAVED to its devices.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:51 am

simonbeans wrote:... Us old guys are getting older as we write. I think we should ask the youngster to carry tanks and weights for us at Sand Dog. What do you think?
I'll gladly carry your tanks. And maybe Rob can carry mine and Ron can carry his... :wink: :lol:
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:21 am

I'm working on modifications to my current oxygen mask that will allow me to switch to compressed air so it will be much easier to keep it all together on my motorized wheelchair.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14 am

Having pondered this thread and discussed it with NAVED members and others, I have a couple of observations. In regards to the demographics of NAVED, I think it is but a reflection of today's society. Younger people (for the most part) are not as interested in the past as those of us who have lived it. I see an overall trend of decline in hunting, fishing and shooting sports. Maybe it is the politically correct view of these activities or just maybe that the younger generation finds escape from normal life in the world of electronics. I see my grandsons coming home from school and embarking on their computer habit. No longer do they grab a ball glove, fishing pole, football or even their bike to go OUT and play. Thus, an expectation of an active, out of the mainstream sporting activity like scuba, let alone vintage scuba, is highly unlikely.

A second thought involves any organization i.e. club etc. I have been involved with clubs for most of my life. From scouting to "president" in a living history organization to treasurer in my local dive club. Unless there is an individual or two who are the actual drivers of that group, it will just exist and not progress. The living history group that I started twenty some years ago was extremely active. But when I stepped down from "running" the show, it has slowly spiraled into a tired group of old farts who reminisce about what we used to do, etc. Someone has to push the group, have ideas of things to do, follow up on suggestions, etc.

NAVED will be as it is and will most likely be an entity of transparency. To push it to the front will require a driving force. Maybe it is time for the new generation to take up the challenge. Some of us gerontologists have paid their dues and would like to benefit from the dividends.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”