Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

NAVED in Savannah.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:35 pm

After my latest exploits showing off my highspeed doublehose at the shop, my boss has given me the go ahead to set out some NAVED stuff here. If the NAVED guys want to hook me up with some stuff, I'll be sure to put it out for anyone who wants it. I am also going to keep my rig at the shop as my boss is letting me do a "familiarization" course in the pool for whoever wants to try a doublehose or vintage gear. Also, any NAVED divers in the area are welcome to come to the shop and use our heated saltwater pool. I may see if I can get you guys a discount as well. We don't sell any vintage gear, but for those of you who dive eclectic or some modern it may help out.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Cool! Do you have any good dive sites near your area? I smell a road trip coming on!

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Well, we have several offshore wrecks that are in varying degrees of depth. We also have two charter services, the one we actually run internal to the shop, and a guy named Captain Tim who does some for us as well. Expect a 2-3 hour boat ride but the diving is awesome if the vis holds up. If we decide to do a charter, I could talk to my boss about doing a whole vintage charter for us if we had 5 or 6 people that would want to go.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Hmmm, Savannah. Not to far from Charleston S.C. I could pick up Rob on the way. Yeah, that has possibilities. :D

Jim

Robohips77
Master Diver

Road Trip

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm in. :D
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:31 pm

My girlfriend takes business trip to Columbia and other areas in SC every year. I will have to talk to her about taggin' along.
:P

What months would you suggest. WHat sort of NEOPRENE and water temps etc.

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:23 pm

I'm usually all work on those trips, but I can be persuaded :)

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Rob,

Gray's Reef is amazing, and it's offshore a little ways. Here's the basic breakdown of what the sea is like from the NOAA for January-April historically:

JAN- Average wave height= 4 feet, Average temperature= 55 degrees F

FEB- Average wave height= 4 feet, Average temperature= 56 degrees F

MAR- Average wave height= 4 feet, Average temperature= 50 degrees F

APR- Average wave height= 3 feet, Average temperature=66 degrees F

All wave heights are the NOAA averages over time, and all temps are surface. I'm not super picky, if the water's 60's I'll dive a 3mm steamer with a 7mm hooded vest over it and 6/4 gloves . If the water's 70's I'll dive a 3mm steamer with 2mm gloves. If the water is 50's that's drysuit weather for me. Recent data observations cite that waves have average 1.3-1.6 feet and that the water has varied from 55-60 degrees this week.

Gray's reef is about 18 miles offshore from our shop, and has a depth of between 60 and 70 feet. It is over 10,000 acres and is a nationally protected ocean site. Personally, I think we should dive here. There are also numerous wrecks about that my boat captain knows how to get to.

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Don't forget, diving out of St. Marys is also an option for GA. Plenty of wrecks, and the boat is 100% vintage friendly..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm

capn_tucker wrote:Don't forget, diving out of St. Marys is also an option for GA. Plenty of wrecks, and the boat is 100% vintage friendly..
Even after I had to back-out of the dive with you & Rob Sewell? :wink:
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

JES
Plank Owner

Re: NAVED in Savannah.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:15 pm

slonda828 wrote:After my latest exploits showing off my highspeed doublehose at the shop, my boss has given me the go ahead to set out some NAVED stuff here. If the NAVED guys want to hook me up with some stuff, I'll be sure to put it out for anyone who wants it. ....
PM Nemrod. He is the both the NAVED President and the "keeper" of the NAVED brochures.
NAVED Master Diver #108

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:40 pm

JES wrote:
capn_tucker wrote:Don't forget, diving out of St. Marys is also an option for GA. Plenty of wrecks, and the boat is 100% vintage friendly..
Even after I had to back-out of the dive with you & Rob Sewell? :wink:
Sure thing! Let me know when you want to give it another go.. :)
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:37 pm

Brochures are on the way according to Nem. Hopefully this generates some more interest for the association.

I'm going on a possible recon to the reef soon if I get my nancy butt in the cooold water. If you guys want to go anytime, just let me know. We can work a completely vintage dive if there's enough of us.

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Brochures are on display inside the dive shop for all to see, and the NAVED sticker is prominently displayed in the window to let everyone know that Scuba Market is vintage friendly. Pool time is available for vintage divers to practice skills or test gear, and charters are vintage friendly. If you guys need anything, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

You can also check the shop's page out on www.scuba-market.com

JES
Plank Owner

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:35 am

slonda828 wrote:Brochures are on display inside the dive shop for all to see, and the NAVED sticker is prominently displayed in the window to let everyone know that Scuba Market is vintage friendly. Pool time is available for vintage divers to practice skills or test gear, and charters are vintage friendly. If you guys need anything, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

You can also check the shop's page out on www.scuba-market.com
Very nice!
NAVED Master Diver #108

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”