Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun May 04, 2008 1:58 am

The two excellent banners were provided to us from the efforts of Richard Hofweber, NAVED 150, and the generosity of Gregory Geralds, President of Design Fabrications, Inc. Thank you both Greg and Dick.

We shall put these to good use over the next several years. As I said, I will send one to Rob shortly, hopefully next week. I guess I should keep the spare. They are fairly large so while it is possible to send the spare to a member having an event there will be shipping involved. I have not decided how to do that yet, my thought is the member requesting the banner will have to pay the shipping to and from. I am not sure that is fair so that is open to discussion. Rob will keep the other for now and that one will not be loaned out to members so as to always know exactly where at least one of them is in the hands of a NAVED officer. Any thoughts on this please feel free to discuss.

James

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun May 04, 2008 7:23 am

I propose we:
1) ask for donations or 2) initiate a small annual dues, like $10/member. We could also run an auction for donated vintage goods. There are many ways that clubs earn money.

crimediver
Master Diver

Sun May 04, 2008 12:09 pm

I know whenever the Little Rascals needed money they would just put on a play. Just a thought...

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Sun May 04, 2008 12:44 pm

I believe Al has brought up some very good points, and in the best interest of NAVED I believe the time has come that it's membership include some yearly dues. There are many things that we all want and I believe expect from NAVED; but we can't expect only a few members to constantly be bearing the burden of expenses to support NAVED. In order to impliment any dues I also feel that it is necessary to get feedback regarding this matter from NAVED's entire membership; or at the very least to make available the opportunity for each NAVED member to voice their opinion. I have an idea regarding this matter, and wonder what the rest of you think. Would it be possible to send an email notification to each NAVED member informing them of a specified date or dates that they can log on and cast their ballots and opinions in regards to this matter? Could we have a ballot / poll sheet to be completed to cast our ballots and voice our opinions in regards to dues; sale of NAVED hats, tee-shirts, etc.? Then after the oportunity has been offered to each member a decision will be made. This way each of us will be given a chance to vote and express our opinions and expectations, and as with any vote in the end the majority rules. (No I don't want to hear anything about chads now that Bryan is living in Florida! :lol: ) I think NAVED is a great organization with a vast amount of potential, and we've reached a point where we can make some big steps forward. Just my $.02 Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun May 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Setting up a poll is very easy. I have done it a couple of times so it would be no big deal. All I need to know is what questions should be on it. It could also be made password protected so that only current NAVED members could vote and also to insure that people only vote once.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun May 04, 2008 2:42 pm

IMHO, a poll to 1st, see how many want to do some sort of moneys acquision. 2nd) List a number of options for getting money, A) dues, B) donations, C) raffle, D) auction E) sell NAVED merchandise (although this involves upfornt money).

It is time that NAVED either ***** or gets off the pot.
Allan

diverdown1955
Skin Diver

NAVED ANNUAL DUES

Sun May 04, 2008 5:50 pm

SINCE THE MEMBERSHIP IS SPREAD OUT ACROSS THIS STILL GREAT LAND, A CHILI SUPPER IS DEFINATELY OUT.
I LIKE AN ANNUAL DUES APPROACH. WITH PERHAPS A STAIRSTEP OPTION OF DONATIONS. SOME OF YOU ARE CLOSER THROUGH EITHER DISTANCE OR FINANCIAL ABILITIES AND YOU ARE THE PRIMARY BENIFACTORS OF NAVED ACTIVITIES. THOSE OF US WHO LIVE IN EAST JESUS OR ON FIXED INCOMES WHO DESIRE TO SUPPORT THE ACTIVITIES OF NAVED WOULD RING IN AT A REDUCED TARIFF.

JUST MY THOUGHTS,
JERRY
diverdown1955
"I FEEL BETTER ALREADY"

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Sun May 04, 2008 5:57 pm

I think the idea Brian has regarding the use of a password is a good idea; since it is a way of allowing NAVED members ONLY to vote in regards to this matter, and as stated vote only once.
I like Al's ideas also in regards to raising funds to help with NAVED expenses; such as the donations; raffles, auctions and sales of NAVED merchandise. The only question I have in regards to your statement Al is regarding the poll to determine how many are interested in the acquisition of moneys for NAVED. The fact that this topic thread exists pretty well indicates that in order for NAVED to sustain itself something needs to be done; such as yearly dues. You also summed it up very well yourself with your final statement:"It is time that NAVED either **** or gets off the pot". I say this with all due respect to each and every member of this board and NAVED; BUT I believe the time has arrived to decide just what we want NAVED to be and represent. Do each of us who are members really want NAVED to become an association that REALLY DOES stand for the restoration and preservation of vintage diving equipment; or do each of us just want to be able to pull our fancy looking NAVED cards with our pictures on them out once in awhile to show them off. As for myself; I really am proud of my membership card; but I will be even much more proud if NAVED turns out to become an association that is really getting the backing from it's membership, and not just an association that is depending on the financial support of just a few. IMHO; I would not have any problem with yearly dues anywhere from $10.00 - $20.00, and I would certainly be interested in buying such items as NAVED shirts, baseball caps, etc, and I would expect to pay an amount for any of these items so there is somewhat of a profit again to help with any expenses that NAVED should incur. As for the poll / vote; if this is done; possibly it could be posted on the NAVED message board a week or so before the date it is to take place for the purpose of giving the membership a chance to give some thought to their responses. Just a thought! Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

Danny D
Lung Diver

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:09 pm

I am all for the annual dues and chipping in. Secondly what are the criteria for being able to have a banner at a vintage event?

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:57 pm

Annual dues, t-shirts etc sounds great to me. Just let me know when, and I'm there..

Danny D
Lung Diver

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:33 am

I've talked to Luis and we are good to go for a showing at Brownstone Quarry in CT in a couple weeks.

I really do not see why an annual fee would be looked down upon by any active member. The collection of the fees are needed in order to keep things going. That is unless we want to start playing tickets or betting on horses. I would love some NAVED stickers to put on a set of doubles I have as well.

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”