Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

How Do I Join NAVED

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:04 am

To Join NAVED,

1. Join VDH or VSS discussion group.
2. Own and dive Pre 1975 Diving Equipment.
3. Dive at any of the Vintage Equipment Diving events world wide.
4. Dive with a current NAVED diver and have them sponsor you for the membership.
5. Have AT LEAST one photo of you in your Vintage Diving Equipment.

Meet any item 1-4 and 5 and you are in. NAVED is a worldwide organization and anyone meeting the criteria above is welcome to join.

It's really that easy..... Please stop sending me $15.00 and then asking when your card will get here......If you are a card collector PADI, SSI, NAUI are the best places for you to go. NAVED is not. It is a social organization for VINTAGE DIVERS....Not ones that are thinking about vintage diving or have heard of vintage diving or saw Cousteau on TV as a child....NAVED is for divers that OWN and use Vintage Diving Equipment on a regulator basis!!!!
If you cannot meet the minimum criteria that we have outlined below please just wait until you can....We would love to have you as a member but realize that it's just not for everyone....
Photos are REQUIRED....Not ones by the Christmas tree, or in the park or with your grandchildren......You must be wearing your vintage equipment. See the post above this one for photo examples of what we are looking for :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:45 am

As Bryan said, for my part pretty much the same. I am for a liberal membership policy--to a point--but the applicant must be able to present reasonable qualifications or be a known person to the community, sponsered etc. These are pretty darn simple and easy to meet requirements. I must also add that should a person at first be denied they should not burn bridges or go postal, relax, take it slow, build some credentials, some "street cred" with the community, be nice. I don't want to be giving out NAVED cards to children or imposters who want to collect cards for bragging rights etc. That seems a reasonable stance and also--yes--eventually I would like a Board of Directors to handle all this sort of thing.

James (Nemrod)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:19 pm

Our NAVED section is getting more site traffic on it that usual and that is a fantastic thing!! I know we all look forward to new members to our community. I am getting a few requests to join that are not following the very basic guidelines that we established for membership. Mainly that we as that you have at least one photo of you diving vintage gear. Many of you have SPECTACULAR photos on your cards that really show off your equipment. Jerry Moseman, Nemrod, Allan, Fred etc etc all look fantastic and really show off the stuff that we are all proud of diving. Let’s keep that trend going!! Otherwise it’s just another ID card…..Here is a tip that is super easy to do and might help the photo challenged….Get a disposable camera. Cheap and can be found anywhere. Before you get in the water have someone, friend, relative, person standing around the beach or dive site snap a photo or two of you as you are entering the water and a couple of Mike Nelson close ups. Drop the camera off at just about any Pharmacy or chain store and they will make you a CD with digital photos on it. Then you can E-mail one in with your application and fee and you should be ready to go. Plus you can use one of the photos for your avatar on websites showing off your vintage gear….

Second. The $15.00 covers the cost to make your card and the postage to get it to you. I even throw in a few nice welcome gifts with your card. I DON’T MAKE A DIME OFF OF IT.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

OystrPir8
Skin Diver

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:47 pm

As someone who "went a bit postal" upon my rejection I have to say that since then I have learned a lot, joined the forums, met some wonderful people and built up my equipment collection slowly. Had I just been allowed to join upon interest, I would have to admit that my membership would have meant less and been worth less. I'm glad I was forced to do these things as I may not have done so otherwise - and it would have been my loss.

Keep in mind, from time to time an off-puting personality conflict may arise that can definitely diminish the comraderie and dry up your enthusiasm but honestly that is to be expected in any group - particularly groups made up primarily of men. (Not to excuse the behavior)

What I have learned on these forums far greataly outweighs the ugly stuff and the initial slap to my ego. I am not yet a member and now am glad to wait until I have the chops and have paid my dues.

To the aspiring member from a fellow aspirant:
I back everything Bryan & Nemrod just said (and I'm not brown-nosing) - stick around and get involved. Its a good group!
Be a gruntled diver.

standingup

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:00 am

I might as well chime in also. I turned in an incorrect application and am therefore still not NAVED. However after the next weekie wachie event I hope to have the needed photos and will also have the satisfaction of showing off my rig. When I do receive my NAVED membership it will carry a deeper meaning since it will represent "a vintage diver" not just a vintage collector. As far as being a "brownie" is concerned - the above statements are true even if they do support managements opinions. So if I agree with management I must run the risk of being a "brownie". So be it.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:18 am

What are you guys missing to become memebers? You both own 2 hose regs, right? Take them for a dive and take a pic, then send the pic in with your cash and viola(sp) you are NAVED! Even my lovely Mermaid is a member! :)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:58 am

[quote="standingup"] When I do receive my NAVED membership it will carry a deeper meaning since it will represent "a vintage diver" not just a vintage collector. [quote]

RIGHT ON THE MONEY. I want you guys to all be proud when you show off your card......What meaning does it have if all you had to do to get it was send some schmuck $15.00 and a BS story........ If you want a good example of this just go over to scuba (barf) board and look at the number of logged dives by the peoples names.....90% of them are lying like rugs..... I have been diving for 31 years in March and just now recieved my 1500 logged dives through SSI. Sea Hunt Jerry has been diving 20 years longer than me and just got his Platinum card from SSI.....I think you see where I'm going with this.......

OystrPir8
Skin Diver

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:48 pm

Honestly, as there are not yet any vintage divers in my area thatI can connect with, Im waiting to try my rig out in a pool a couple of times before I hit the ocean, and for a banjo (no pressure of course :) and to get my horsecollar fixed. I have dates set for both.

Im a bit wary of just jumping in at Breakwater with no BC, no gauges and with biddies who are only trained on modern gear. No one gets why Im into this stuff around here. Once Ive worked it out in a pool and experimented a bit I will git the real water I'll get some great photos and tear it up!

Thanks guys!
Robb
Be a gruntled diver.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:06 pm

Hey there PIRATE, come to SD4 and you will have a bunch of great guys to dive vintage scuba with there. The SAND DOG group is the coolest and most helpful of them all. When Barb wanted to try a really nice 2 hose Bryan stepped up and offered his coveted French Spiro for her to try, see the the pics in the last batch of SD3. A lot of guys are really proud of there stuff and are really eager to share the experience and their gear. I am sure there are some forum members near you that could also hook up with you? It sounds like you got your head on straight keeping safety in mind.
Keep us posted and I look forward to the pics.

OystrPir8
Skin Diver

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:38 pm

Ill definitely keep you posted.

See - the problem for me has always been the expense of a trip to Fla. the photos are incredible!! It is DEFINITELY something Id like to do!

Can anyone tell me about how much you can expect to spend for a weekend like that - Maybe if I budget right...

I've still got to talk you guys into the Catalina trip. :)
Be a gruntled diver.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:23 pm

We want NAVED to represent real divers of vintage equipment. You can collect but you must also dive the stuff. It is in the name--national association of vintage equipment DIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Collecting is great but you must also be a certified scuba diver who dives vintage gear.

The best way to join is to attend one of the vintage rallys, Wazee, Portage (?) and Sand Dog. Realizing this is diffucult for people in far away places we have allowed other routes to membership other than attending a dive event. See the How to Join section for that info.

It would be great to have a west coast event. Perhaps eventually someone will put one together. More and more and a slight amount of research on it by myself tends to indicate rather than having a SD type event with many different venues the West Coast event, SeaHunt I, might would best be held in Catalina. I understand there are hotels there, I have dived there some and while it has been a while I also recall a boat or two that works that area. How far in advance do reservations need to be made, how much, group prices? what dive sites could be done on the island over a two/three day period, any place to get together and hold a BS session and show old movies etc? These are the type of things that would have to be answered. Obviously if based out of a hotel in Catalina, people would have to commit up front in order to get the rooms etc. I probably could not attend this coming year but next I could work on. Start small, work the kinks out and then go BIG--lol.

James

OystrPir8
Skin Diver

West Coast trip - NAVED

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Without starting a whole Catalina tangent, I'll let you know I am already planning a Catalina gathering. I was thinking in the spring but rather than compete with other trips I am now looking at September of 07. (to keep it affordable and avoid crowds off season is best and the weather and temps are still spectacular) Catalina is wonderful diving, very inexpensive and has everything we need. The file folder is on my desk and getting thicker with hotel, dive location, boats, merchant and other info. Maybe we'll call it Sea Hunt I - Dunno yet. I have exchanged calls with the Avalon Chamber of Commerce and I think there is a lot to go on. I will keep you posted.

I am hoping to make a "scouting trip" in December or January if anyone would like to join me!!
Be a gruntled diver.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:37 am

That sounds great. Be sure when you make the updates to your findings on the trip that you post them in the Trips and Gatherings section of the forum so we all don't get confused where to look. Thank you

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:48 am

Here is the flyer for the 2006 Sand Dog III. This should give you some idea as to what the event looks like and some of the preplanning issues. We are currently working on Sand Dog IV with the usual speed bumps and all. I would love to come back to Catalina, "26 miles across the Sea". and all. Let me know if you have any questions.

Outdated link removed

Allan

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:20 pm

I have quite a few so send me an E-mail if you need more! Thank you for being a great Ambassador for us all!

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”