ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

MK5/109 Fun

Fri May 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Bryan overhauled a MK5/109 for me a few years ago as I had zero experience working on single hose regulators. That reg still works great. In the meantime I acquired two more MK5/109 regs from a friend who hung up his fins at age 81. I’ve learned a great deal teaching myself (with a lot of help from forum members) to overhaul single stage and double stage DH regs over the last few years and I finally decided it wasn’t brain surgery to do the same with a single hoser.

So I read Regulator Savvy (again), downloaded all the MK5/109 schematics and manuals, and watched Bryan’s You Tube Videos on overhauling these regs a bunch of times. I ordered new parts from Bryan and got all my tools ready and set myself up in the far corner of my garage where my workbench is. I set up my laptop so I could watch and pause Bryan’s videos as I went through each step. I taped the schematics up on the wall in front of me. This is where it got funny.

While there is a door from our kitchen to our garage, there is a bunch of shelves, boxes, etc... between my little corner and the kitchen so I’m fairly isolated and it is hard to hear anyone in the house and vice versa even with the door open. Anyway, I start watching the first of Bryan’s videos and my wife calls out to me from the kitchen with the conversation going something like this:

WIFE: Who is that I hear?

ME: Bryan.

WIFE: Does he want to stay for dinner?

ME: No, he’s not here. He’s talking on a video.

WIFE: Say Hi for me.

ME: I can’t talk to him.

WIFE: Why don’t you want to talk to him?

ME: It’s not a two-way talk thing - it’s just a video.

WIFE: If you guys are making a video doesn’t it help to talk about what you want to do?

ME: Ok, I’ll say hi to him and give him your best.

WIFE: Thank you.

Anyway, the regulator turned out great. Took 2 shims to get the IP range right. I'll try and post some pics later.

Mark
MK5a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: MK5/109 Fun

Fri May 11, 2018 3:07 pm

That's funny!

As you know, sometimes it's just easier to tell them what they want to hear. :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

couv
Master Diver

Fri May 11, 2018 5:00 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:03 pm
.......and my wife calls out to me from the kitchen with the conversation going something like this:

WIFE: Who is that I hear?

ME: Bryan.

WIFE: Does he want to stay for dinner?

ME: No, he’s not here. He’s talking on a video.

WIFE: Say Hi for me.

Sound's like your wife's a keeper.....better be careful.

Well done on the rebuild.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri May 11, 2018 5:09 pm

My video was part of an Abbot and Costello skit :lol: :lol:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat May 12, 2018 12:08 am

Not overly exciting I know, but very exciting for me as my first (and successful) single hose rebuild. Also a pic of my rebuild of a USD K-Valve with HP side port. Mark
s5.jpg
s2.jpg
15260975210008f43da3077319387335ed1922875892edd42bc59b78e1dd068733fdadfe678a7f248241c2707e4a1fde4b23ef37b60810ca0e6d200a79fdc1348d1680bd15468.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sat May 12, 2018 3:58 pm

I have acquired a bunch of MK5 stages that came with seconds I was chasing. I really need to pot them to use...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:58 pm

I was gearing up to go on a pure vintage dive this morning when I realized I had not yet ocean tested my mk5/109 rebuild. I'm going on a multi-day halibut spear fishing trip next weekend and the mk/109 is my go-to  single hose regulator for swimming long distances over sand fast. It would be a bummer not to have it work. Anyway, I swapped out the Mistral and the Scubapro performed flawlessly and breathed effortlessly.....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Obviously you did it right! Congratulations.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”