USdiver
Master Diver

ScubaPro Pilot

Thu May 10, 2018 6:05 pm

I was out diving this past weekend with one of the most iconic 1970s setups ever: ScubaPro Mk VII, Pilot and R109. The water was 44 F, and the Pilot breaths like nothing else, easy, just so easy.

Such a shame that the best breathing SH was/is such a mechanical trophy wife: high maintenance goes with high performance.

Here are some pics of the regulator. Later this spring, Greg Barlow and I will be diving SP pilots together, others are welcome to bring their pilots and join us.

Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: ScubaPro Pilot

Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 pm

mine is a converted, and also a breathing gem.....

Such a shame they are out of production and parts support. I really like the Air1 & D-Series......
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 pm

I took the Pilot service course at the factory and if I knew then what I know now I would have swiped the trays full of parts that were piled up at all our workstations.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ovalis
Master Diver

Fri May 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Fortunately I did swipe those parts! It's been about 20 years since I worked on a pilot, so my memory is a little rusty, but I don't think there's any unique parts that are needed to service one, just o-rings. If I remember correctly the LP seat is an o-ring seal. The only unique part that I can recall is the set screw with the nylon piece on the side to prevent it from turning that secures the demand lever.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sat May 12, 2018 9:16 pm

The guys who service them Hate the small o ring in them.
Greg Barlowe knows all about them,I did take a course from Scubapro in the 70"s Also,and own 2 Pilots.

stephenws
Skin Diver
First Name: Stephen

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:30 pm

I'm considering purchasing a pilot that appears in good condition, but would need to have it serviced before use.
Is there anyone who would have the parts, expertise and be willing to service it?

Also, does it work off the same IP as other ScubaPro second stages? The one I'm considering is just the Pilot second stage without the first stage that I normally see with them. Weren't they called the "honker" first stage?

Thanks, - Steve

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:49 pm

Steve,

You will likely have difficulty in getting a Pilot second stage rebuilt. Parts are getting difficult to source, and due to the manufacturing tolerances, a technician typically had an assortment of parts that were, more or less, handfitted to the individual reg.

The Pilot was paired with either the MK5 or the MK7. Both of which were balanced piston designs. They both utilized the same piston, while the MK7 had the additional sonic unit.

Properly serviced, the Pilot is a great regulator. Due to the servo valve system, there virtually is no cracking effort. Also, like many other pilot valve systems it has a tendency to “stutter” upon inhalation in shallow water.

Greg Barlow
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

stephenws
Skin Diver
First Name: Stephen

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks Greg,

I think I'd better pass on buying the pilot if I can't get it serviced. I appreciate you passing along that information.

- Steve

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Steve,

If you’re interested in a classic Scubapro model that is an excellent diver, and readily serviced, consider a MK5 with the 109 second stage. That reg, and the Swimaster MR12 II, are my two favorite vintage SH models. Both of those regs can be fully serviced using rebuild kits from VDH.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:07 pm

I second Greg's endorsement of the MK5/109 - love mine (if I can just remember where I put it). No experience with the MRI2 but if Greg says it's a great reg, it must be a great reg.

M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Wife says the MR12-3 is her favorite, and that I had better not sell any of her 3 remaining ones.
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 pm

I don't usually dive Vintage single hose regs, but when I do it's usually the MK 7 Honker with a 109 second. Great combo! Of course nothing beats the cool factor of my green hose Aquamatic. But that's a whole different vibe. :wink:

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:12 am

swimjim wrote:
I don't usually dive Vintage single hose regs, but when I do it's usually the MK 7 Honker with a 109 second. Great combo! Of course nothing beats the cool factor of my green hose Aquamatic. But that's a whole different vibe. :wink:
I really like that green hose Aquamatic. Hope it still works! :D
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:12 pm

antique diver wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:12 am
swimjim wrote:
I really like that green hose Aquamatic. Hope it still works! :D
Sure does. I dive it at least once a year just to do it!

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:45 pm

I pulled my Pilot out of the lds garbage box. It beathes good with just a slight trickle of bubbles leaking from I think the lp oring seal. I grabbed it because it had the option of a left hand hose connection. Before I knew what it was, I was using it as a safety second on my bc hose. Now its in my dresser drawer along with my titan II. I think I'll vacuum pack them to prevent deterioration.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”