Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Conshelf SE

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:44 pm

I've been hunting for an original Conshelf SE for quite a while. The US Navy gave it the highest rating on its deep air flow test (198 feet), and it even beat the Conshelf XIV and 22. Anyway, I finally found one for like 30 bucks. I didn't realize that literally EVERY port on this regulator is 1/2". Like...if you run it as a standard setup with the primary and alternate second stages, plus a low pressure inflator that all of those hoses are 1/2" as well. Apparently, the original SE was the only one like that because I've had an SE2 and SE3 before and the only 1/2" port on those is the one for the primary second stage.

Once I get it up and running, I'll let everyone know how it fares. I plan on doing it with all 1/2" hoses, just like it came. I'm going to run a 26" primary hose, 36" secondary hose, 27" low pressure inflator hose, and an SPG so that I can use it as a backup regulator when I'm teaching. If you guys come across one in your travels, you should give it a shot. It admittedly looks like it fell out of a Miami Vice episode, but it is a pretty interesting reg set and there isn't a whole lot out there like it. Bryan has parts and hoses for it so it is an easy fix as well.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Re: Conshelf SE

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:54 pm

I have a couple of USD Pro Diver regs with the "flying saucer" first stage. These use 1/2 inch low pressure ports but the HP remains at 7/16. I use adapters for the octopus and BC inflator.

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I should have been more clear on that. All the low pressure ports are 1/2". The HP one is 7/16" on my conshelf SE as well. 1/2" hoses aren't particularly difficult to find, so I figured it would be cool to run the regset as it came.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Ron wrote:I should have been more clear on that. All the low pressure ports are 1/2". The HP one is 7/16" on my conshelf SE as well. 1/2" hoses aren't particularly difficult to find, so I figured it would be cool to run the regset as it came.
I have the step down / up adaptors and 1/2" hoses

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

USdiver
Master Diver

Thu May 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Ron,

I have used a Conshelf SE as my primary "go to" regulator since I purchased it new in 1985/86. I friggin' love the damn thing. I recommend that you get a Mares Abyss Miflex hose in 1/2" diameter for the primary second stage, they work great and are relatively inexpensive. I use reduction couplings on the other LPs to use standard hoses for my LP inflator and octo. Enjoy your SE, they really are great regulators.

George
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

tech3324
Diver
First Name: Donald

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:41 pm

The SE is my favorite regulator as I prefer the SE port layout compared to other Conshelf 1st's, gives me perfect single tank hose routing.

Is there a way to determine by serial number whether a specific SE has all 1/2 LP ports or not? Occasionally I see one for sale but the owner knows nothing about LP ports or port sizes.

Tnx.

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:35 pm

I've been diving the snot out of this regulator and I think it might be one of my favorites. It does look like it came from 1987, but such is life.

Tech3324, as long as it's an SE and not an SE2, SE3, etc, then it has all 1/2" ports. The label (provided it is there) on the second stage will tell you. My SE says "SE" and not "SE2" or "SE3." The later model ones only have 1 1/2" port.

tech3324
Diver
First Name: Donald

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:13 pm

Ron wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:35 pm
as long as it's an SE and not an SE2, SE3, etc, then it has all 1/2" ports......The later model ones only have 1 1/2" port.
Thanks Ron, that explains it completely. I've tried other more modern regulators but keep coming back to the SE2 for the perfect hose routing. When diving dry I add a LP swivel to the top port, also perfectly routes that hose over the shoulder.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”