antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Calypso IV rebuild

Mon May 28, 2018 10:41 am

Closest equivalent from McMaster-Carr. Sizing of inside diameter and thickness is right on the "Mark". The shape is slightly different but that is of no consequence, and may even be easier to install and remove.

Stainless Steel, Mil-Spec:
95304A269

Please double check my number on their website before ordering. See upper left illustration for shape, look to right for almost same shape in Mil-Spec. Click on illustrations for specs. https://www.mcmaster.com/#retaining-rings/=1d1ecx8

An alternative if those are not stocked is same dimensions but not Mil-Spec... don't know if there is any significant difference.
92590A127
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon May 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks Bill

I'll look it over and get some in the store next time I order from McMaster Carr.
If you can send one to Mark now, that will get him going.

Also Mark, cut the handles of your circlip pliars in half. Whimpy regulator parts obviously cannot stand up to your Herculean grip strength..

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon May 28, 2018 10:23 pm

Bryan wrote:
Thanks Bill Image

I'll look it over and get some in the store next time I order from McMaster Carr.
If you can send one to Mark now, that will get him going.

Also Mark, cut the handles of your circlip pliars in half. Whimpy regulator parts obviously cannot stand up to your Herculean grip strength..

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Maybe if I charge him $29.95 for the genuine NOS replacement clip he will be more careful with it!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon May 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Bryan wrote:
Also Mark, cut the handles of your circlip pliars in half. Whimpy regulator parts obviously cannot stand up to your Herculean grip strength.
Yea, in college I always had a hard time getting dates once my reputation for inadvertently causing parts to be damaged got out. 8)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon May 28, 2018 10:43 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Also Mark, cut the handles of your circlip pliars in half. Whimpy regulator parts obviously cannot stand up to your Herculean grip strength.
Yea, in college I always had a hard time getting dates once my reputation for inadvertently causing parts to be damaged got out. 8)
Lighten up Francis :D :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon May 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Bryan wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:43 pm
ScubaLawyer wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Lighten up Francis :D :D
Stripes was always one of my favorite Bill Murray movies. Sorry if I overstepped, my sense of humor is highly warped. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks to the supremely awsome, thoroughly fantastic, uber generous and all around spectacular BT from Texas, I now have the external c-clip I need to complete my Calypso IV project! Thanks Bill!

Now where did I put my Jaws of Life circlip removal tool and petite sledge hammer combo tool for gently installing this part......

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:28 am

Flattery will get you nowhere... except for maybe more rare parts when you need them.

Thanks for the kind words, and glad I could help you out! :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:05 pm

I got the IP to lock up instantly at 125 psi at 3000 psi but it took 3 shims to get there. Is that normal or is my old spring compressed?

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:08 am

The main spring may be a little weak, but the shims will take care of that. I might even add another one or two to see if I could get the IP to 135-140.
Another thing that could be affecting the IP is if your reg has the little spring and adjustable retainer on the downstream side of the piston. Some have that for adjusting the IP, and some earlier ones don't. If you have that, and have backed out the retainer toward the hose as far as it will go and still allow the hose to be fully installed, and you want more IP, you could remove the small spring and threaded retainer completely. That may get you a little higher output. Reg should breathe nice and easy at 130 to 140 psi range.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:50 am

Thanks Bill,

I got it up to 132 IP. Seems to be about the best I can do sans an additional shim or two - which I do not presently have. Hopefully that is sufficient?

UPDATE: After futzing with it some more it now locks up at 139.

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:50 am
Thanks Bill,

I got it up to 132 IP. Seems to be about the best I can do sans an additional shim or two - which I do not presently have. Hopefully that is sufficient?

UPDATE: After futzing with it some more it now locks up at 139.
What did you do to get it to 139? Did you take out the "adjustment" spring and screw? They are really not usually needed, and seems like they are just there to allow lowering the IP. Anyway, they were a late addition to the Calypso and Calypso-J, and thousands were produced without them. The reg should perform well at that pressure, and if the second stage is finely tuned you may get cracking effort between 1.0 and 1.2 in air, probably easier in the water. I would have no qualms about going to IP of 145 or a little more if needed to get it where it feels right.

There may be some shims in Texas. Also Silicone 2nd stage diaphragms and misc. other items for Calypsos.

BTW, the only confirmed malfunction I ever heard of on those first stages were caused by the HP seat moving out of position and blocking airflow into and through the piston to the hose. That was extremely rare as far I can tell (maybe one, and that was probably due to an old oring around the seat getting compressed with age and letting the seat move easily). Problem was handily solved by the castellated brass bushing that goes over the seat.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi Bill,

All I did was back out the adjustment screw another turn (just so there is enough room to attach the LP hose). The IP shot from 132 to 139 and holding. It appears to be blocking the other LP port outlets but I get the same IP on those ports as well so air must get around the adjustment screw somehow.

The second stage diaphragm looks to be in really good shape for being so old. It looks like silicone (gray color) - do those go bad? If it looks like I need a new one I know where in Texas to look. :D

Doubt the reg was ever serviced as the recall/update bushing was missing. I got one from Bryan and installed it. Both LP and HP seats look practically unused and the chrome and exhaust T are in really great shape. I am replacing the LP seat as it came with the rebuild kit (PURCHASED AT INCREDIBLY LOW PRICE IN THE VINTAGE DOUBLE HOSE WEB-SITE STORE ACCOMPANIED BY FANTASTIC DELIVERY SERVICE AND I AM SURE CAREFULLY PACKED BY AN INDIVIDUAL WEARING GLOVES, NOT SMOKING A CIGAR, AND WITH ALL THE BEST OF INTENTIONS FOR THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY). :lol:

The serial number on the second stage starts with a "76" so I'm assuming that was the year of manufacture.

Mark

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm

LOL! They are simple and reliable regulators and I'm sure USD sold millions of them. See them all the time at garage sales, swap meets etc for very little $$$

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Bryan wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm
See them all the time at garage sales, swap meets etc for very little $$$
I know. Got mine for $9. 8)

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”