Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Calypso IV rebuild

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 pm

I got the retainer rings....They will be part of the Calypso kit in the future ...Now I just have to get un-lazy enough to update the website store.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 am

One more 1976 Calypso IV back in peak service condition!

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:32 am

Bryan wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 pm
I got the retainer rings....They will be part of the Calypso kit in the future ...Now I just have to get un-lazy enough to update the website store.
BTW, those retaining rings are the same ones used on the Conshelf XIV to retain the yoke from unscrewing. USD part 861068 (previously listed as 8610-68)
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Took my rebuilt Calypso IV out for its first test dive today. All was fine for the first 1O min. Never had a Calypso breathe easier. I was cruising along at 30 feet when I looked over and my buddy's tank was floating up over his head with his jacket-style BC stil on him. I looked closer and the plastic cam buckle on both traps had broken and the tank was floating free. Very unusual.  Looked like the plastic just came apart.

Just then I had a catastrophic 2nd Stage failure on my C IV.  Air started freeflowing out my 2nd stage like the heavens farted. I was still able to breathe but my SPG needle was dropping at an unbelievable rate. I swam to the surface and got the freeflow to stop. When I inverted the reg mouthpiece up again the freeflow started and wouldn't stop. Finally when my guage read 300 psi it stopped freeflowing again.

Back on dry land I checked the IP. It was 126 at 300 psi and 132 at 2900 psi. The only thing I can figure is that I have the lever set too high. Any other ideas?

(The last time I had a complete reg failure was in 1980 diving the wreck of the Superior Producer in Curacao at 125 fsw. That's how rare they are!)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:42 pm

That's a beautiful C IV you have there Mark. Bummer it free flowed like that. The only thing I can think of too is the lever is set to high. BTW I sent you a PM.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:45 pm

fishnbeer wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:42 pm
That's a beautiful C IV you have there Mark. Bummer it free flowed like that. The only thing I can think of too is the lever is set to high. BTW I sent you a PM.
Hi Jerry,

Thanks. I didn't receive a PM. Better to email me.

Mark

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”