BigRed96
Diver
First Name: Timmy

Aqualung Conshelf XII

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 pm

Hello Everyone, I am looking to rebuild my first reg. set and plan on starting out on a Conshelf XII. I believe I have all the necessary tools and lubricants but am trying to locate a service manual for both regs. I looked in the manuals area and the closest I could find was for a XIV. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Timmy

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Aqualung Conshelf XII

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 pm

All the Conshelf are basically the same. The only real difference is the number of ports.

The later second stages were plastic, but they are still serviced basically the same way.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

BigRed96
Diver
First Name: Timmy

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks Luis, I appreciate the information.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Quick question. Got my Conshelf XII IP to lock up solid and repeatedly at 135 psi at 3000 psi tank pressure.  However,  at 500 psi tank pressure IP locks up solidly and repeatedly at 120 psi. May be just my ignorance,  but I thought with a balanced 1st stage it is supposed to maintain the same IP across the board. Is this normal for a XII or am I missing something? Thanks,  Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Mark, you must have one of the California versions. Look for a "C" stamped on the underside of the pin-pad. It's an environmental preservation kit required in that state that drops the performance back to keep you from inhaling as much air, which in turn protects the environment because the less air you inhale the less of the destructive Global Warming Carbon Dioxide you exhale! That's a good thing.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Bill, next time I'm in Texas I'll stamp a "C" on the underside of your pin-pad. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Well, I followed Bill's advice and whacked the first stage with a sledge hammer a few times and the darn thing now locks up with an IP of 135 at 500 psi and 145 at 3000 psi. :D Close as I'm gonna get it and within Conshelf IP parameters.  Welcome another rebuilt Conshelf XII to the world.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:33 pm

I'm glad that worked. Another thing I was thinking about is that lack of lubrication on the HP seat stem and oring can have strange effects.
Nice reg.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Thanks Bill. I did remember to lube up all that needed lubing. Not sure what the problem was. Anyway, it works as intended now. A big thank you to Bryan for having the parts I needed for this project. Mark

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Re: Aqualung Conshelf help

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:45 am

So I have a bunch of older regs. Have been diving them since I was a kid. In addition I have a bunch of others, just about every brand. I am trying to see which regs are best to keep for the long term, meaning easy to get parts for. I have some regs that I think in about another year or two will be non starter due to lack of parts. Of course every dive shop tells you scrap all of it a buy new, but most if is all plastic now and build to be disposable. I know the navy is still using some pretty old regs at the school house which tell me something. Anyone with some insight?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Finally took Conshelf XII I recently rebuilt out for a test spin. Breathed fantastic! I am pleased. Mark
Image Image

pclarke1
Lung Diver
First Name: Paul

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am

Absolutely love my Conshelf XII. I took it to Truk Lagoon in June and dove it to 160ft on the San Francisco Maru and it breathed like a dream.
64543038_10216653255437946_2042807576940249088_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 am

Awesome photo! For those who have not made the trip to Truk Lagoon, it is entirely worth the expense and planning. I've been diving since 1975, and it is my favorite trip thus far.
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:39 am

pclarke1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am
Absolutely love my Conshelf XII. I took it to Truk Lagoon in June and dove it to 160ft on the San Francisco Maru...
This is a photo I took of my old dive buddy Anne in Truk in 1979. The photo is hanging on the wall of my office. Sorry about the glare but don't know where the original is. Mark

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:41 am

Please tell me that is Anne on the right.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”