jsmall
Diver
First Name: John

Voit Conqueor Cira 1964

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi All

While rebuilding a this regulator over the weekend I snapped the "Disk & Retainer" P/N DS607. Does anybody know if this part is available or is it the same as the stem on the Aqua Lung Calypso 1030 regulator from about 1960. is so are these available? These have the exhaust port in the middle of the diaphragm. Why? who knows.

Thanks
John

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Voit Conqueor Cira 1964

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:14 pm

I think the whole second stage is the same as the original Calypso. I may have some parts for those but can't get to them for a couple of weeks, so if you don't find one get in touch with me by my email link.

Just a guess, but since Aqualung was already using a through the diaphragm exhaust on their Aquamatic it probably made sense to them to utilize the same on their next version of a single hose second stage. The metal disc is identical (just bonded into a different diaphragm) so that was one part they didn't have to re-design and have made. Saving $$ makes money, and I had twice heard the old Frenchman called a cheap #!%@&* by the old sales rep in the 70's.

That diaphragm combination works great in a face down swimming position on the Calypso version, but I suppose it could breathe a little wet when looking up... don't know for sure about that last part. It initially would have saved money by not having to have a more complex second stage body made with the exhaust in the more conventional modern manner. Later moving it to the conventional position allowed for a larger exhaust valve for easier exhaling.
The older I get the better I was.

jsmall
Diver
First Name: John

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks Bill,

No hurry, I have a note into Bryan to see if he has any. I should have soaked it first and worked in some penetrating oil before attempting to play with it. I used a dremel tool and made a new diaphragm from one I got at my LDS. I don't know how much I'll use it, but it is kind of cool.

I was rebuilding the first stage and I noticed the parts were more or less the same as a kit I bought for an early calypso that I was unable to rebuild. It seems that looking through catalogs that Voit and aqualung were either an incestuous bunch or patent thieves or maybe they were all paying patent royalties to Cousteau-Gagnan, so it didn't matter much. The catalogs show virtually the same models from earlier years re-badged and sold under a different name.

John

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 am

I don't know all the details of the Voit - Aqualung relationship, but if I recall it goes something like this. Voit was a significant supplier of rubber goods to Aqualung, and some arrangement was made where AL would share regulator patents as part of the financial trade agreements. What I don't know is if Voit had the regs manufactured, or if Aqualung manufactured them for Voit. I tend to think Aqualung built them since they already had the setup to do so. It would cost Voit a bundle to do that. Also, I don't see Aqualung letting someone else build the equipment to manufacture regs on their patents, thus potentially losing control. Hopefully someone on the forum can give us better details!

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:22 pm

IIRC, the Voit diaphragms for this were grey, and that material didn't last for some reason. The second stage is a Calypso with a different label, like BT said. Maybe changing the color made the rubber age poorly. I rebuilt one of these for a guy with a Calypso diaphragm like Bill said, and I used one of the Trident exhaust valves that Bryan sells. 7/8" diameter IIRC, but it was years ago. Hope that helps.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:08 pm

If you haven't yet found the part contact me via email.
AA.Temp...IMG_3021.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”