James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Scubapro 108 (non-HP)

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:54 am

I have a 108 with the old stacked exhaust valves (I only put one of them back in) that came to me with no exhaust T... I've tried the VDH silicone 108/109 T, learned the hard way it won't stay put on the small round exhaust. Does anyone know a source T's for these old 108's? I could make something, but it would be truly improvised, and I'd rather get a new or decent condition proper replacement.

Thanks

James

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Scubapro 108 (non-HP)

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:53 am

There won't be a source for them new but I think you could use the exhaust T off of certain Healthways models. Someone else will chime in and may know exactly which ones will work. Healthways single hose regulators are very cheap and can often be found in the junk bin at you local dive shop or for pennies on auction sites.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:19 am

James wrote:I have a 108 with the old stacked exhaust valves (I only put one of them back in) that came to me with no exhaust T... I've tried the VDH silicone 108/109 T, learned the hard way it won't stay put on the small round exhaust. Does anyone know a source T's for these old 108's? I could make something, but it would be truly improvised, and I'd rather get a new or decent condition proper replacement.

Thanks

James
Hi James,

I have a new ScubaPro Universal tee that will probably work. $22 plus shipping. If it does not fit you can send it back for a refund-however I see you're in South Korea so I would not be able to refund shipping. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Couv

The Universal Tee opening has a diameter of 3cm (bottom picture;) however the hole has a bevel that increases the size to 4cm (top picture) to accommodate the shape of the metal exhaust port. Removing the center ridge inside the tee is sometimes necessary. To install this tee, which is made of very hard rubber, heat it either with boiling water or a Coonass heat gun (wife's hair dryer) and lubricate with liquid soap and water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

James
Lung Diver

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Couv,

Thanks for the offer... I just checked and I do have one of the same measurements that I tried, and it doesn't stay (too loose fitting). I will be trying a couple ideas to try and get it to work, failing that I'll improv something. Regardless, I'll post results however it turns out.

v/r

James

couv
Master Diver

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:47 am

Hi James,

I did a search and found an interesting thread on SB where you may get a few ideas.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... st-7120872

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

James
Lung Diver

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:54 am

Sorry about the delay.... ridiculous work weeks have kept me from accomplishing much with the Reg sets.

Couv,
I appreciate the research, and liked the vinyl hose option... but am having trouble finding it locally (shopping on the economy in South Korea is a unique experience.) It did get my mind going, and I have an idea for an adapter to use "late" model 108/109 exhaust T's. I'll let you know how it pans out as I get some time to try it.

worst case I'll use the inner tube method

couv
Master Diver

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 am

OK James,

I look forward to hearing your solution; in the meantime don't let work interfere with the important things in life.

Couv

James
Lung Diver

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Well, I proofed my idea by building up the flange with electrical tape (ghetto, I know), but it worked well. next step as time permits is to 3d model an adapter ring and get a friend who has a 3d printer to run a couple off for testing. In the mean time I'm looking into getting the reg in question powder coated (cheaper than chrome) due to All the chrome flaking.

As always thanks to all of you for the help and inspiration.

James

couv
Master Diver

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Re powder coating-I'm not sure how well that works on chrome plated brass. For another direction on coating/protection see this thread: http://vintagedoublehose.com/forum/view ... 886#p75886

Cheers,

Couv

James
Lung Diver

Fri May 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Well, it's been a long time, but I finally did it. I modeled an approximation of the oval cone exhaust flange on a 109, and with a center holed shaped as the spindle exhaust flange on an old stacked exhaust. I recently bought a 3d printer, so I printed it in TPU (urethane), so it would be flexible. It didn't have enough stretch to fit over the 108 flange so I cut it and put it on that way. Works like a champ! both original crushed neoprene, and VDH silicone exhaust T's now fit and stay on rock solid (as they do on 109's and later model 108's). If anyone else has this issue, I would be happy to print another and mail it to them for further testing.

James

couv
Master Diver

Sat May 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi James,

Congrats for finding an interesting solution. Could you post a few pictures please?

TIA,

Couv

James
Lung Diver

Sun May 27, 2018 7:40 am

Couv,

Certainly. Like I said, this is a first cut at it, and it worked pretty well. The 108 it's on is pretty rough though! If anyone wanted one, it would be what amount's to a second draft for better fit and to eliminate the gap at the bottom. Tell me what you think (legit constructive criticism, or sarcasm and ridicule... I'm thick skinned!).

James
Lung Diver

Sun May 27, 2018 7:43 am

trying again to add a picture... one at a time this time

James
Lung Diver

Sun May 27, 2018 8:04 am

This time with resized images
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James
Lung Diver

Sun May 27, 2018 8:04 am

assembled

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”