FPTinAustin
First Name: Frank

Conshelf 1st Stage Yoke too narrow

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm the original owner of a Conshelf reg that I've been using for about 30 yrs. Never had an issue until my last trip to Roatan at an dive resort. I found that my first stage yoke would not fit over the tank valve on some of their tanks, the yoke was just barely too narrow. I would estimate that I had this issue with about 1/4 of the resort's tanks. I would do a fit test on every tank I was going to use before it was loaded on the dive boat. I don't want to give up this reg. (been diving for 40 years and never used any reg other than a Conshelf), but I'd hate to be stuck with a tank that I can't but my reg on. Is there anyway to change out the 1st stage yoke? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Conshelf 1st Stage Yoke too narrow

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Did you try unscrewing the yoke some to fit the valves?

The inside of the yoke is tapered. I have found that if you unscrew it a few turns it will fit every valve I have come across, even some of the real wide DIN convertible valves from Europe or Asia.

You can unscrew the yoke without affecting its function. Structural is the same at any point on the threaded section of the regulator. There is normally a snap ring that will stop the yoke from being unscrewed too far.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

FPTinAustin

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 am

The yoke is tight against the 1st stage and I'm not able to turn it. I'm hesitant to use a lot of force to see if it unscrews. There is a ridge on the inside of the yoke on both sides. This is what is hitting the tank valve.

FPTinAustin

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 am

Photo attached of 1st stage yoke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:39 am

Yes, you have unscrew that yoke several turns and that will solve your problem. That yoke should have never been tighten against the base. It should always be free to turn. The snap ring is used just for the user not to unscrew it too far by accident.

Personally, I normally remove the snap ring and don't put it back on. I just pay attention not to unscrew it too far.

Do not think about modifying the yoke! That ridge is part of the yoke. They all have it. That yoke will fit every valve you will encounter when it is free to turn.

Someone tighten the yoke too much and some corrosion is probably affecting is keeping it from turning. If you don't have the proper tools to loosen the yoke, then send it to Bryan for service. That regulator could probably use some service anyway.

I am a very strong believer on; "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but that first stage does look like it could use some service.

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

FPTinAustin

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 am

Thanks for the info, I'll send it to Bryan for service before my next dive trip.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”