georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

AIR 1 Dissasembly due to Leak by

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:00 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hello, everyone
Let me see if I've got this right. I've got 2 identical AIR 1 second stages and one has a broken mouthpiece flange - naturally it's the one that doesn't leak by when air pressure engaged from the full tank.. I'm trying to disassemble the good one to pull the CAP, SPRING PAD, SPRING ,ASPIRATOR and POPPET ASSEMBLY to switch out with the one with the unbroken mouthpiece so I can rig a good AIR 1 to my Pony bottle.

1, ) Before I completely bugger up the CAP (on top) its too tight with corrosion or over tightened - is there an outside adjustment I might try to stop the leak? I don't see any and since I know SP doesn't carry parts for the Air 1 anymore, I'm kind of forced to strip "good" parts from one to the other.

I'm forced to use a homemade tool to try and unscrew the CAP but it is really jammed and my pin spanner slips out when I really bear down on it.

Thank you.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Re: AIR 1 Dissasembly due to Leak by

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:03 am

Do you have the service manual? I know I have a copy somewhere.

couv
Master Diver

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:58 pm

I don't think I have the service manual, but the parts diagram is in Bryan's "Manuals & Catalog" files. You may have to do some digging, but it's in there. I do have a service manual for the D400 which has the same center balanced poppet as the AIR 1 so it's close enough for government work. If you want a copy let me know.

Edit: Note from Bryan to me this morning, "The D400 manual is in the Scubapro Master manual under model specifics but I will put the copy you sent in the 2nd stage folder as well."

But before you start tearing into this thing, first soak it overnight or longer in hot soapy water. Then use the alternating hot and cold routine on it. Give it a really hot bath-almost boiling; then into a bucket of ice water. Do this until you've lost patients and try again. If no joy start over. Sooner or later it will free up.

If Bryan doesn't have the kit in stock, I can probably dig one out of my closet or put one together for a reasonable price.

It's been a while since I've rebuilt a Darth Vader, but I don't remember it being too complicated. Just be very careful with the diaphragm-they are not easy to find.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:15 pm

couv wrote:I don't think I have the service manual, but the parts diagram is in Bryan's "Manuals & Catalog" files. You may have to do some digging, but it's in there. I do have a service manual for the D400 which has the same center balanced poppet as the AIR 1 so it's close enough for government work. If you want a copy let me know.

Edit: Note from Bryan to me this morning, "The D400 manual is in the Scubapro Master manual under model specifics but I will put the copy you sent in the 2nd stage folder as well."

But before you start tearing into this thing, first soak it overnight or longer in hot soapy water. Then use the alternating hot and cold routine on it. Give it a really hot bath-almost boiling; then into a bucket of ice water. Do this until you've lost patients and try again. If no joy start over. Sooner or later it will free up.

If Bryan doesn't have the kit in stock, I can probably dig one out of my closet or put one together for a reasonable price.

It's been a while since I've rebuilt a Darth Vader, but I don't remember it being too complicated. Just be very careful with the diaphragm-they are not easy to find.

LINK to D400 repair guide

It is in the Scubapro 2nd stage file as well as in the Scubapro Master Technicians Course file.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Oh, I found the exploded diagram before I started in the service manual section.

I heated up nice and hot the 2 inch diameter steel plate that goes over the gas stove burner. Them I stood the second stage on its head - the cap. After a few times doing this and gently tapping the cap, it eventually surrendered. The poppet assembly is out of both of them. I switched them but no joy. In fact, now they both leak and leak worse than before. I must be an expert :-( I'll try again to try and figure out what I did or am doing wrong

couv
Master Diver

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Again, this info is for a D400, but pertinent. See this thread, especially post by halocline and awap (now redacted)
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... -w.424439/

Have you replaced the seats and o-rings in the valve housing assembly?
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Kemps Dairy sent a private Message Moo Moo! :twisted: :D :(

regulatorbj
Skin Diver
First Name: john

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:58 am

georgeaustin Have an Air 1 manual in PDF format if it helps out

Email [email protected]

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:37 am

regulatorbj wrote:georgeaustin Have an Air 1 manual in PDF format if it helps out

Email [email protected]
Would be nice to have a copy of this for the Manuals and Catalogs section. :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Bryan wrote:
regulatorbj wrote:georgeaustin Have an Air 1 manual in PDF format if it helps out

Email [email protected]
Would be nice to have a copy of this for the Manuals and Catalogs section. :)
check your e-mail...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Thank you Bob

Here it is. AIR 1 manual, schematic and addendum

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Aha. Ok - thanks. I'm in Houston working right now and the reg is at home. Glad I didn't chuck it. I'm still tossing and turning tryingbto figure out what caused it to leak by after I put a "new" poppet in there - then I read the D300 / 400 thread - and yes, my poppets both just fell out after I turned the reg upside down with the cap off. So I guess air pressure gets under there and pushes out the o ring against the barrel I.D. Strange design (to me)

couv
Master Diver

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks Bob and Bryan.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:27 pm

couv wrote:Thanks Bob and Bryan.
The community and its members built this forum and much of the website. Even if you only have one manual or service bulletin to share we can add it to the files and it gains us one more piece of the puzzle we didn't have and makes future reference and discussion a whole lot easier!

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”