Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Argonaut Single Hose....First Look

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Now back to the topic which I'm sure we will adhere going forward :)

Good to hear.... others are reporting similar post dive comments. Keep diving them!
I knew you would give me an honest opinion and constructive criticism where necessary.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:00 pm

antique diver wrote:Aww, Ron... what could you know at such a young age? :roll:
Surely you need some old farts to lead the way! Now, if I could just remember where I left my car keys I would go to lunch. :lol:
I literally lost my car keys for ten minutes this morning. I'm going to be the worst old man ever. Plus, I cannot imagine how my gas could get any worse than it already is. :lol: :lol:
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 pm

since one of them has outed themselves, I'll out myself as having one of the five sets. Initial impressions look very good. Sadly not able to get them in the water for another week and a half, but will be doing a lot of comparing and contrasting with them and will have them in a cave in about 4 weeks give or take.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:18 pm

tbone1004 wrote:since one of them has outed themselves, I'll out myself as having one of the five sets. Initial impressions look very good. Sadly not able to get them in the water for another week and a half, but will be doing a lot of comparing and contrasting with them and will have them in a cave in about 4 weeks give or take.
Since modern open ocean tech diving and cave diving use many of the same techniques, I'm curious as to your thoughts on making the reg easier to take apart underwater. I mentioned this to Bryan, but in a perfect world I would want the cover to be large around the rim and easy to get off, and all in one piece. If I could figure out how, it would be even better for the diaphragm to be retained by the second stage cover so that the entire assembly could be removed by hand underwater to clear out sediment and such from the second stage if need be. Anyway, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this as a cave diver.

I really like the venturi deflector lever and cracking pressure adjustment knob on this reg. It's a lot thicker and more solidly built than the ones on my HOG regs.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Argonaut Single Hose....First Look

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Bryan wrote:Now back to the topic which I'm sure we will adhere going forward :)
Good point Bryan and Ron... please just read the first part of my post!
I shall cease harrumphing and return to my Z2 service... once i find my half drunk cup of tea ;)
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:01 pm

the reg as is spins apart with no issues. Atomic and Scubapro are the exceptions to the rule on the ability to easily remove the cover

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:29 pm

I have had the opportunity to run one of the second stages through its paces, both on the work bench, and in open water. My open water tests were done with neoprene gloves, and the controls were very easy to manipulate. This is not the case with many regs on the market.

The inhalation effort control has an adjustment range of a full inch, which is a nice feature when diving in current. Even with the knob in the fully inward position, the reg performs admirably.

With Bryan's blessing, I disassembled the reg completely, and carefully examined every component. The quality of construction is incredible for the projected retail price. Let's say it this way... If you find a better value on the market, I'd like to know about it.

My dive experience also indicated that it is a dry breather in any orientation. I deliberately tried to find a position in which I could detect moisture, and it didn't occur.

Well done, Bryan. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be a test mule.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:35 pm

I had no idea this was in the works. 1st stage looks awesome nice chrome.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Some preliminary bench testing.....Not too shabby so far..Image

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Keys, Hell . . . I don't remember where I parked my car. My solution - particularly in a multi level garage is to take a picture of the level and space number with my phone. Works ok until you leave the keys inside because you're preoccupied remembering where you're at.

My theory, and I'm no doctor, is brain damage due to voluntary exposure to continued increases in atmospheric pressure at a higher or more frequent rate than is currently assumed to be acceptable.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:45 am

Had the opportunity to look at the second stage inside and out. Like I suspected, a goog reg made better by adding where other companies go cheep. Growing up on the Oregon coast, Ron had my attention at "stainless knob". If other peoples daily users are abused like mine, the thicker lever should be a huge bonus. If the cover is printed, can you take custom orders, like a nice skull and crossbones for the kid in us? And will we be able to order just the second stage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:47 pm

tripplec wrote:If the cover is printed, can you take custom orders, like a nice skull and crossbones for the kid in us? And will we be able to order just the second stage?

One of the main uses of 3D printing is for proof of concept and to check initial function of parts. The material they use has improved over the years but so far nothing I have used would stand up to long term exposure to saltwater.
There are hundreds of companies on line and I'm sure a few in your area that could make a cover for a regulator. All you need is a 3D ready file and they can quote you a price. The printed covers for these sample regulators were $275.00 each. As I said, I would not count on any 3D printed parts holding up very long in water, especially salt water.

As far as selling just 2nd stages I don't see any reason why not.....But I'm no where near giving the green light to the project as a whole lot more testing and data needs to be gathered first.....Plus I gotta figure out how to pay for all of it!

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:44 am

For $275, your concept is some of the best art work I've seen. Except maybe the drawing of a square I saw once at the Toledo Museum of Art.

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Chris
Master Diver

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 am

So how is the testing coming along? I know it's only been three months, but I'm anxious about the end results and price.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:18 am

All reports have been A+ so far. I've sent out the cold water kits so the test divers can assess them in conditions way colder than I'm diving in. I don't have an ETA as I want to get it right the first time. Test, test and more tests are needed.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”