Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Argonaut Single Hose....First Look

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:10 am

I have 5 of these out with divers this summer for their thoughts on it. Not a game changer like the Kraken but an extremely well built solid performer with a lot of options for configuration. The cover on the 2nd stage is a printed sample, I was trying to give it the look of the Kraken but in doing so it makes it difficult to grip so I may have to look at that part again.
Like everything VDH, user serviceable from day one.....Unless parts dry up for a dozen other manufacturers using the same internals there will be parts available to the public long past my lifetime.
In my mind I envision offering this regulator with matching safe 2nd, brass and glass pressure gauge, choice of wing with plate and harness somewhere around $600.00......Give the customer the best support possible and an outstanding warranty. I will offer the VDH plate as an option in the event they want to transition into a Kraken later.

Feedback......Comments :?: :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Argonaut Single Hose....First Look

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am

Love the concept and design. It is probably the nostalgia rising up in me but a metal 2nd stage cover would be awesome. Probably cost prohibitive, and it doesn't sound like you are going for a "vintage" look anyway, but a hint of retro is always cool!

With a complete line of quality dive gear soon you will have manufacturing facilities all over the world and we'll be able to tell our grandchildren that we knew Bryan back when. :D Keep up the good work and live the dream for the rest of us. 8)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:Love the concept and design. It is probably the nostalgia rising up in me but a metal 2nd stage cover would be awesome. Probably cost prohibitive, and it doesn't sound like you are going for a "vintage" look anyway, but a hint of retro is always cool!

I wanted metal cans for the Kraken and priced them out.....The die for ONE side of the can was 10K not counting the horn or having it soldered on and then the cost of plating it. Luis quickly told me to scrap the idea as he could produce a much better performing regulator using modern technology and polymer molding. I will most likely use a stock cover on these as many styles are available, that way I don't have to build the cost into the final product. I firmly believe and maybe with rose colored glasses that it's the service and support behind the product that should determine it's value..

With a complete line of quality dive gear soon you will have manufacturing facilities all over the world and we'll be able to tell our grandchildren that we knew Bryan back when. :D Keep up the good work and live the dream for the rest of us. 8)....Only if you promise to share the nightmares I cause myself most days :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Interesting. Is that a diaphragm reg? Example Titan, Apex, HOG D1... Environmentally sealed/ seal able for cold water use? Available in a DIN version?

Jim

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 pm

I too was thinking diaphragm... +1 for that if it is. Is it good in cold water?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:46 pm

rhwestfall wrote:I too was thinking diaphragm... +1 for that if it is. Is it good in cold water?
Apeks,HOG, diaphragm...yes.
I did not ask for cold water kits on the samples but that's an inexpensive option that I might make standard.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Is the bottom of the turret equipped with a fifth low pressure port or is that a turret nut? Hard to tell from the photo. Looks like a nice rig and I bet you sell a pile of them....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 pm

The 5th port was an option and I said....more ports good...you have to torque the cap with the 5th port but no big deal.
Next week I'll post some inside photos so you can see the machine work.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Bryan wrote:
rhwestfall wrote:I too was thinking diaphragm... +1 for that if it is. Is it good in cold water?
I did not ask for cold water kits on the samples but that's an inexpensive option that I might make standard.

Sounds like a winner Bryan. Warm water for me is 45 degrees so a cold water kit is important. Not a deal breaker, but I do prefer DIN for this style reg as I would be diving it "tech"....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:43 pm

swimjim wrote:
Bryan wrote:

Sounds like a winner Bryan. Warm water for me is 45 degrees so a cold water kit is important. Not a deal breaker, but I do prefer DIN for this style reg as I would be diving it "tech"....
Coldwater yes and I have a plan for a unique freeze test. DIN will be a no cost option and you can switch easily and inexpensively to yoke

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Argonaut Single Hose....First Look

Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:38 am

Looks pretty good Bryan... great to see your Argonaut product line expanding!

Regarding ease of service, how does the second stage front cover attach?
Spin on like an Atomic, or some form of QD band clamp or screws on the reverse side?

My Atomics are generally well-designed great breathing regs, but the plastic main housing and clip-on exhaust wall thickness are egg-shell thin and easily damaged while the cover retaining ring is flimsy and very hard to grasp. If the reg gets a decent hit on the edge the threads are buggered and the cover won't screw out easily.
Atomic introduced a 316 Stainless accessory Cave Ring for the M1 so the second stage could be 'field stripped' UW to clear mud or debris while cave diving.

If you have design freedom for the new reg I would like to see some form of annular moulded bump stops around the cover... could even be an elastomer insert in a double shot moulding?

I wonder how the younger emerging dive community will react to ease of user servicing as Unique Selling Proposition (USP) for these regs?
So many people these days lack the simple tool skills that pretty much everyone in my generation takes for granted... most can't change the oil and filters in their car, for example.

They have had drummed into them over and over the 'critical need' for their LDS to service all 'life support equipment' annually that the mere thought of changing so much as a LP hose o-ring themselves gives them the cold sweats. Apparently o-rings will suddenly fail if not changed religiously every 12 months...

Only last weekend I was in my local LDS getting an air fill to use as my test rig when rebuilding my old USD Aquarius and Scubapro 108, and cleaning and servicing a couple of Atomic Z2 octos. I had been quoted $300 to service an Atomic enviro sealed B2 first stage and Z2 octo, so most definitely an incentive to do it yourself here in Australia. At least in the US there is the option to ship it back to Atomic for service without being charged an arm-and-leg!!

Busy Saturday morning, so while waiting for the tank to fill I mentioned that I was restoring a 1970's vintage reg set and intended to use it soon.

Could hear a pin drop in the dive shop... reactions being a mixture of incredulous looks that I was intending to service my own regulators, then horror when they realised they were > 5 years old and were going to be USED IN THE OCEAN :shock:

I'll bring in the Kraken next time and watch heads explode :mrgreen:
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:16 am

A metal air barrel. nice!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

couv
Master Diver

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Very nice!
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Fibonacci wrote:Looks pretty good Bryan... great to see your Argonaut product line expanding!

I wonder how the younger emerging dive community will react to ease of user servicing as Unique Selling Proposition (USP) for these regs?
So many people these days lack the simple tool skills that pretty much everyone in my generation takes for granted... most can't change the oil and filters in their car, for example.

They have had drummed into them over and over the 'critical need' for their LDS to service all 'life support equipment' annually that the mere thought of changing so much as a LP hose o-ring themselves gives them the cold sweats. Apparently o-rings will suddenly fail if not changed religiously every 12 months...
I know generalizing is great fun for most people, myself included, but you would be surprised how many of us 30 somethings who are engineers, IT guys, manufacturers, designers, machinists, etc love to service our own gear. When HOG first came out, I took their technician's course to service my own regulators, and so did pretty much every other tech diver I knew in my social circle. I've actually been servicing my own gear for about 9 years now. I think if you dig around the forum, you can find posts of me learning how during 2008. Not everyone under the age of 45 is a luddite right? If we were, then none of you would have cell phones, working computers, software, GPS in your cars, satellite radio, CAD stations, etc ;)

Funny side story, I'm the only 37 year old range safety officer in my gun club. Everyone else is like 60. I showed the other RSOs how to pull up the NRA's instructor schedule on my Iphone and they were so shocked by my ability to do this that I think several of them blew the batteries in their hearing aids.
:lol:

BTW I went diving with the regulators over the weekend down to 103 feet in 45 degree water and they are fantastic. I also had two buddies try them in lieu of their SP MK25 and AL Micron regulators and they found them quite enjoyable as well. I'm interested to see how the ANSTI machine would treat these regs.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Aww, Ron... what could you know at such a young age? :roll:
Surely you need some old farts to lead the way! Now, if I could just remember where I left my car keys I would go to lunch. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”