2airishuman
First Name: Steven

Conshelf Supreme - External Fine Adjust, good or bad

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:49 pm

Hello everyone

I have a number of Conshelf regs that I dive, and I recently obtained the parts to add the "supreme" environmental seal to two of them. One set of parts is the "external fine adjust" (EFA) and the other is not. I am trying to decide how to set these up and what parts to replace.

1) Should the secondary diaphragm be replaced at every service interval?
2) Should I keep the EFA setup or just switch it back to a standard secondary diaphragm?
3) Can I convert a standard secondary diaphragm to EFA by just punching a hole in it?

Also wondering what the rationale is for dialing back the IP from 140 on a standard conshelf to 120 on the supreme.

Advice welcome!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Conshelf Supreme - External Fine Adjust, good or bad

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:39 pm

2airishuman wrote:Hello everyone

I have a number of Conshelf regs that I dive, and I recently obtained the parts to add the "supreme" environmental seal to two of them. One set of parts is the "external fine adjust" (EFA) and the other is not. I am trying to decide how to set these up and what parts to replace.

1) Should the secondary diaphragm be replaced at every service interval?
Yes...the sealing edge tears very easy after it has been in place for a long time and is difficult to seal again reliably. I won't service one unless I have new one to replace it with.....BTW, Herman makes a very nice tool for removing the diaphragm retaining ring which is easy to damage.
2) Should I keep the EFA setup or just switch it back to a standard secondary diaphragm?
The EFA is nice if you can get EFA diaphragms which are more difficult to come by. The NON EFA are much more common.
3) Can I convert a standard secondary diaphragm to EFA by just punching a hole in it?
The hole you punch would have to be very precise and even with that I believe the EFA diaphragm is reinforced where the adjustment screw penetrates the diaphragm.

Also wondering what the rationale is for dialing back the IP from 140 on a standard conshelf to 120 on the supreme.
I set them all at 135 +/- 5

Advice welcome!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

2airishuman
First Name: Steven

Re: Conshelf Supreme - External Fine Adjust, good or bad

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks, Bryan!

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”