scubaal
First Name: Al

'Not quite a conshelf'

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:54 am

I just got given two conshelf SE2 regs. Friends who dont dive any more.
I have 6 other conshelfs so quite familiar with the stable overall.
The first stages are SE2 with 3 x 1/2" ports (commonly know as PIA) + 1 HP
Two primary 2nd stages are standard SE2 plastic jobs

Its the plastic octopus second stages are different. By the SN stamped on them I think they are 1996?
They are 'Spiro Octopus' units - that look almost exactly like SE2s but not quite:
- Oval (not round) exhaust valve
- 2nd stage poppet has no screwdriver slot on the end - it has a square shank that fits the square slot in the body and prevents it turning
- Poppet nut is 'different' smaller size and thread to SE2 2nd stage (metric?) - NOT interchangeable with the standard US poppet.

I know Spiro/USD/Aqualung are all the same manufacturer and there have been endless tweaks to the models. Does anyone know anything about these? They are in great condition and i want to get a couple of service kits (mainly because I cant use standard poppet locknuts) but I dont even know what to look for. I can provide photos of the dismantled units if that will help. Ideas?
I have all the Aqualung parts diagrams but nothing specifically for Spiro. Are they available?

scubaal
First Name: Al

Re: 'Not quite a conshelf'

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:16 pm

Just a follow up for anyone else having similar issues.
I realised that the best place to look for parts for these regs is Europe (doh).
Ebay Germany has parts kits at reasonable prices and so do www.watersafetyshop.eu - although shipping will make you blink.
(A bit like us trying to get parts from the US in Australia)
The other things to remember is that Germany has NEVER used yoke regulators - so if you are looking for DIN fittings that's the place to look.
I converted all my tanks and regs to DIN a few years ago to ensure I could mix and match and any reg could be used for anything...but US/Australian/UK suppliers often don't keep the DIN parts - especially for older regs.
The Germans have everything!...and my German is non-existent but google happily translates and gets you close enough to know what you are buying :)

Oh and the Conshelf SEA was called the Cousteau in Europe apparently.....

FWIW
Al.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”