Jaypee
Skin Diver
First Name: JP

Rebuilding my Dad's Aqualung Aquarius regs

Tue May 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi from Australia everyone,

I've been snooping around these forums for a few days now and i have found all the info i think i'll need to begin rebuilding my Dad's Aqualung Aquarius regs. A bit of background first though:
- I am a newly certified AOW and Nitrox diver with 15 dives to my name - all done in the last four weeks (i see why they call Scuba an addiction :lol: ).
- I don't own any of my own gear aside from Boots, Fins, Mask and snorkel.
- I have no experience in servicing regs or any other diving gear, but i am technically minded and keen to learn
- I intend to buy a tank and intermediate pressure gauge so that i can test and service regs (i have access to a pool :D )

My Dad has kindly given me his diving gear from the 70s to use. It consists of an Aqualung Aquarius first and second stage, Aqualung US Divers SPG with compass and depth gauge built in, and a fourth, shorter detached hose (which i assume is for the separate pressure gauge that was in the bag too). My dad also has an Aqualung BC but the bladder is not in working order. There is an aluminium tank too, but here in Australia most dive shops will refuse to fill an aluminium tank made before 1991 due to a safety warning issued by the government about tanks manufactured from aluminium alloy 6351.

I have the 1086-00 Aquarius servicing manual printed out, and i am ready to buy the first stage service kit and the second stage service kit provided by VDH. Given that this equipment hasn't been used since at least 1982, should i replace all rubber parts on the regs (including mouthpiece and exhaust T) and all hoses? This may be something that can't be answered until i am able to test the function of the regs on a tank. Would you also replace the diaphragm as a matter of course?

Finally, i have not been able to find out much about the SPG that is in the above pictures, but i'd like to have it serviceable if possible. Does anyone know how i would test it is still functional?

I can't tell you how excited i am to restore my Dad's old gear. I've already dived one of the ships he used to serve on in the Navy (HMAS Brisbane) and it would be even more surreal to do it with his own gear!

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Re: Rebuilding my Dad's Aqualung Aquarius regs

Tue May 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Welcome! I get where your coming from. I got involved here when I wanted to get My Dads regs in service. I don't have any experience with Aquarius but from what I've read they are quite simple and I'm sure Bryan has the parts you will need or can tell you where to find em. I think that BC will be best used as a wall hanger though.

couv
Master Diver

Tue May 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Unfortunately, the USD BCs from that era had bladders made from inferior materials, so it probably is toast. However, the regulators and SPGs should work just fine after you service them. No need to replace any rubber parts that don't show signs of dry rot and don't leak. I would bet the mouthpiece will taste funny after all these years of being dry.

The hoses should be ok, but as a preventative measure, replace the o-rings then pressure test them underwater. If the SPG develops a "fizz" at the swivel, replace the two small o-rings on the swivel spool-or replace the spool and o-rings as an assembly. Every diver should have an extra spool in his save-a-dive kt.

Good luck and keep us posted.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue May 10, 2016 9:20 pm

The Aquarius is a great regulator to start learning on. What it lacks in frills it makes up for in reliability and long life between services. USD 2nd stages from that era had an exhaust T made from some compound that turned to concrete pretty quickly. Since it's almost impossible to remove without tearing it, you may have to carefully feed a piece of string attached to the new exhaust valve up though the T to get it into place.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Wed May 11, 2016 7:34 am

Thanks for the fast replies guys! I'll keep you posted on my progress and I'll put in an order for those service kits tonight.

Cheers!

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Thu May 12, 2016 9:31 pm

A quick update: I've ordered the parts I need and they are getting shipped over to Oz as we speak.

I also did a lot more research about my dad's aqualung tank and it turns out that it is made from the 6351 alloy as Luxfer manufactured them at that time. The article linked below may be of use to others who are wondering about their tanks.

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/press-re ... ured-in-us

Long story short, I have found a shop that will test and fill my aluminium alloy 6351 tank safely. Needless to say I am very happy!

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Sun May 22, 2016 12:14 am

I figure I should ask now before my service kits arrive: are there any specific tools I'll need to service the Aquarius regs?

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun May 22, 2016 5:31 am

A US Diver's compatible second stage poppet adjustment tool is useful, you can get one here:

http://www.scubatools.com/p-519-aqua-lu ... river.aspx

You can do the second stage with a screwdriver and a wrench, but the tool makes it much easier. Also, you are going to need a way to check the intermediate pressure of the first stage. Many places, including usually Bryan here at his store, sell a gauge that plugs into your low pressure inflator hose and indicate your intermediate pressure. You are going to want some O2 compatible grease, which Bryan usually has in stock here. That's really about it. Getting the first stage seat out can be a pain if it is the original one. Compressed air, or a soft brass dental pick usually helps with those.

Let us know if you need more specific information than the above, and we'll help you out.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun May 22, 2016 9:01 am

Age of Aquarius Blog Post

Age of Aquarius.. http://vintagedoublehose.blogspot.com/2 ... arius.html

Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Thu May 26, 2016 11:14 am

That's great you're learning to service your own equipment and learning to dive at the same time. Welcome. I tend to very frequently keep my eye out for steel tanks in Craigslist, Friends, Dive Charter operators I know - etc. It's not difficult to find perfectly serviceable 72 or 85 cf steel tanks that will pass visual and hydro requirements. I've gotten good tanks anywhere from free to 25.00 or so. Me and a few friends dive everything in steel 72's from beach dives to deep stuff beyond 100 ft.

I tend to look at aluminum tanks as a necessary evil and generally only appropriate at dive resorts and cattle boats. Steel LP tanks rule.

Keep in touch!

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Fri May 27, 2016 4:09 am

Thanks again for the info and support everyone, and for the warm welcome georgeaustin. My service kits arrived a couple of days ago and I pick up my cylinder tomorrow so i am all set to begin this weekend! I'll post my progress :-)

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:50 pm

So off to a good start; the regs look great inside and out. I am genuinely surprised by how well they have held up over the years! I've disassembled both stages and am about to start cleaning all the parts. I had to improvise up some 'tools' to get the job done. I'll definitely be investing in a proper clamp setup and a nice pair of circlip pliers in the near future (i have my poppet in the mail already). Here are some photos:

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:00 pm

Looks great from here - those parts look very clean. As I'm sure you know, a lot of people like a 30/70 or even 50/50 acid and water solution to address mild corrosion. White vinegar, lemon juice for the acidic part. Nothing too strong. I use white vinegar and a nice stiff toothbrush. Soak the metallic bits for 5 or 6 hours or overnight. I never use any power assisted buffer or polisher - not really needed IMO - rinse very throughly and use a lint free rag to shine up, blow off with air if you want. Make sure your assembly area is very clean and don't don't don't over use silicone - not needed

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:54 pm

I have to disagree with you some George. While 50/50 white vinegar/water is a great solution to clean regs in, that is way too long to soak a reg. It should not be soaked any longer than is necessary to clean up the corrosion. I use an ultrasonic cleaner so that speeds up things but a typical time for me is in the range of 3 to 4 minutes, that is plenty to time for the acid to do it's work on corrosion. The mix WILL cut chrome off a reg, granted the chrome is likely damaged anyway but soaking it that long will make matters worse.

Also, it is important to rinse the parts multiple times to remove any remaining acid to prevent it from making matters worse.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:54 pm

I recommend making fresh acid mix each time if you are going to leave it in that long. If you reuse it it stores up more and more copper salts from disolving the verdigris, and I learned the hard way that it can plate the chrome with a pale copper colored plating when leaving it overnight. It could happen to you, or your regulator I mean.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”