reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

SAS Single Hose Regulator

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:48 am

I picked up a SAS SIngle hose regulator. FIrst stage is labeled SAS II and 2nd stage labeled S 5100. I could not find any info on this regulator. DIsassembled ,cleaned, replaced O rings and it seems fine. Does anyone know anything about this company? It seems fairly rugged , has 3 LP ports and one HP port. One interesting note, on the LP hose there is a yellow label which says" C.I.P. Certified Inflation Protection to make Scuba Diving Safer, make sure your regulator has been checked every year with the NASDS C.I.P. program" ??

Dave ( Red DIver)

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: SAS Single Hose Regulator

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Not a vintage regulator. Sold by Sub Aquatic Systems in Calif. This became the standard line of gear for most NASDS store/schools when the great parting of the ways with Scubapro occurred. The Sub X was a MK5 copy and the Sub II was a copy of a Sportsways if I remember correctly. In the early 80's they also made an upgraded 1st stage that was all stainless steel called the SUB S?? The 2nd stages were all run of the mill for the day similar to what we see now with dozens of manufactures re-branding one stage or the other with their own colors and logo. These were usually tied together with a large Triangle shaped console with an NASDS dive planning slate on the back. Regulators were very reliable and easy to service. Deepest dive I've ever done was using a Sub X......SAS carried a lot of other gear that was more utilitarian than flashy but it was good stuff. Later NASDS re-branded the whole line as Z-90 for the store/schools. The quality went down on some of the items but some improved.......I've seen more than one comment about having a regulator or wet suit made by ZEAGLE because of the Z on a label..... when in reality it is an SAS/Z-90 NASDS brand.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”