bbain
Vintage Diver

Conshelf XI question

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:59 am

Due to having to have the floors refinished in our house, we had to move *everything* out of the house and I am just now getting around to putting everything back. In the course of looking over our gear for the impending Bonaire trip, I found my very first regulator, a Conshelf XI in a box of long outdated SCUBA stuff. Attached was a Farallon 2 gauge console. Seems like having a spare regulator around might not be a bad idea. Questions:

1. Are service parts available? I dimly recall that sometime in the early '80's I got the Conshelf XIV that Ginny uses now because the dive shop couldn't get parts for the XI at that time. No point in sending it to Bryan for service if parts aren't available.
2. Like many older regulators, the yoke is the "skinnier" one, not the 4000 psi ones we see today, which would give me pause putting it on a modern tank that may have an overfill in excess of 3000 psi. Can the yoke be replaced with the more robust one?

Thanks in advance!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Conshelf XI question

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Yes to both questions. If a shop tells you they can not get parts for any Conshelf (except for main body parts) they are BSing you, they use the exact same parts kit as the earlier Titian and while the kit numbers are not the same, ALL of the kit parts are used in one or another current Aqualung reg.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:17 pm

If it has the earlier 2nd stage you use this kit

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/C ... ry=3500127

If the later you use this one

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/U ... ry=3500127

This kit will work for all Conshelf first stages.

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/T ... ry=3500127

If you have questions, send me a picture of the regulator and I'll be sure you get the right kits.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:00 am

Somebody lied to you at that dive shop. Besides the diameter of the second stage exhaust valve, a parts kit from a Conshelf VI and a Conshelf XIV are functionally identical minus changes in seat material and exhaust valve material over the years.

I know we are all shocked that a dive shop would try to sell you new gear by telling you something was obsolete lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”