bbain
Vintage Diver

AquaLung LPO rebuild?

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Local dive shop rummage sale -- picked up a Aqualung LPO octopus regulator for $5 (no hose). Checked it out using a first stage and it does breathe, although not all that easy. Are they hard to rebuild? I like the idea of less bulk, and having a spare that I could put in service if needed seems like one of those "not to bad" ideas. I did open up the purge button/cover it it looks pretty simple in side, but looks can be deceiving....

I looked on line and found the service manual but it speaks to a number of special tools that are required. Any one have any experience with the LPO and servicing it?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: AquaLung LPO rebuild?

Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:48 pm

Just be careful taking it apart. On the ones I have serviced the threads in the body for the diaphragm cover degrade and get chalk like and are easy to cross thread. The exhaust valves are very thin and I have seen some of them deform. This could be more of a problem here in Florida with the salt and sun and yours may be in better shape. It's a very basic downstream 2nd stage and it's easy to service with only one seat and 3 standard O-rings if I remember correctly. None that I have worked with were easy breathers. I think this is due to a heavier spring that AL used in many 2nd stages dedicated as safe 2nd stages to cut down on them free flowing easily.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

bbain
Vintage Diver

Re: AquaLung LPO rebuild?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:44 am

Bryan -

Thanks for the information. I found a service kit for the LPO, and I will be careful opening it up. I will check the exhaust valves, but I may not attempt more than that until we get back from Bonaire in February.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”