ftaylor74
First Name: Frank

conshelf se 2nd stage disassembly

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:43 am

i have a conshelf se 2nd stage. can't seem to find a manual that addresses it specifically. i would like to disaasemble and inspect it (and install) an overhaul kit, but i'm not sure how to remove the plastic front cover. looks like i could use some sort of spanner to insert into the ports on the front and give it a counterclockwise twist, but before i try that i figured i should ask an expert.
any help is appreciated. thanks

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: conshelf se 2nd stage disassembly

Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:30 am

It does screw off, according to the parts breakdown I have that model does not have the retaining pin. Some the them have a plastic clip under the port opposite the inlet hose so I would suggest looking (or just go ahead and remove the port) before getting to aggressive trying to open it up. While on the subject, be VERY careful removing and installing the access port, they tend to be brittle and are prone to breaking....the bad news is you can no longer get them from AL but last I heard, Bryan (owner of VDH) was having replacements made.
Most of the time you can remove the covers with palm pressure although a rubber jar opener can also help. If you have to have a spanner( no need to retighten it with one). A simple one made from a couple of screws in a piece of wood or metal will do. I would cover the screws with tape to protect the reg.
Herman

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:31 am

And I neglected to welcome you to the board. Nice to have you on board.
We have a lot of very talented people on the board that are always willing to help a fellow diver out.
Herman

ftaylor74
First Name: Frank

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:25 pm

thanks for the welcome and your response. it turned out to be quite a trivial task. i just held the back of the reg in my left hand and pressed my right palm onthe cover plate and twisted. cpver came right off.
i was surprised how little is going on in there. just the valve lever. now i'm not sure how to get the regulator exhaust off. doesn't appear to have any attaching points. could it just snap in place?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Your new idea for the port plug is supposed to be here on Monday.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:00 pm

It just stretches over the plastic housing....warming it for several minutes in water as hot as you can stand to keep your hands in helps to get it off and on....personally I don't remove it unless there is a pressing need. There is no need at all to remove it if you are not replacing the exhaust valve and even then I just clip the valve off from the inside(small tab) and work the new one in. IMO that is easier than fighting with the exhaust.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Just use a piece of string to feed a new exhaust valve in place. The original Ts crack pretty easy. New ones are available in the website store that are made from a softer material and are more streamlined than the original ones if you prefer going that roure.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

USdiver
Master Diver

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:02 am

As a long time Conshelf SE user and apologist, I've been diving one since 1986, including my time as a harbor diver (filthy job that even Mike Rowe wouldn't do) I consider the SE to be an excellent, very dry breathing unit. I have included the SE service manual in an email I just sent to Bryan. Hopefully it will be posted online soon. Welcome to the tribe.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:19 am

Thank you George......

Here is a link to the Service Manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ule53rf0o8gip ... l.pdf?dl=0

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”