Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Oceanic CDX5

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:10 pm

I know this isnt a vintage regulator, but I was hoping on picking some brains.
This weekend I did my yearly cold water trip, 37-40 degree instead of my normal 55. . On my first two dives I used my Oceanic CDX5 environmentally sealed first stage with oceanic NEO second. It worked flawless on both 60 foot dives. On Todays dive I dove double tanks each with its own regulators. One with the oceanic setup, the other with some scuba pro knock off first stage I found in someone’s back yard (literally), and my Swimaster Titan II second stage. I start with the swimaster saving the other tank with the “more trustworthy newer equipment”, incase the titan or nameless first stage has a problem. At 90 foot while deploying a float marker my partner shoves my oceanic NEO in my face to show me its free flowing. Tried putting it in my mouth, plugging the hole with my tongue, Breathing, nothing worked. Finally signaled dive partner to shut off the tank to let it thaw. Throughout the dive while breathing off the other tank with the Titan II, still working flawless, I would try turning the other tank back on but the reg would just free flow and either stick or ice soon as I ran some air through the second stage. Back on the surface it worked fine. Thoughts????? Did having it sit at my side in 40 degree water not being used do something since it worked the day before as my primary on a single tank dive. This is also the first year I have left my double hose at home :(
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Oceanic CDX5

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 pm

The Dive Rescue team that I belong to was issued Oceanic regulators. Because my fellow divers know that I work on regs they come to me with their problems. I have come to the conclusion after examining several Oceanic regulators is that they are suited to diving coral reefs in 80+ degree temps. They will not tolerate deep and especially cold. You would REALLY be better off with any kind of Phoenix.
My personal preference for modern single hosers is HOG. APEX is the same thing but more expensive. Any USD reg with a Titan first stage is good. If your into piston regs, go with Sherwood and their dry bleed system. They are good cold water regs and they deliver.

jim

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:01 pm

I would add to Jim, the Titan is a Conshelf in different cloths. It's less expensive and just as good of a reg....same reg actually, just looks different.
Herman

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:46 am

Good info. Thank you. I looked up my NEO today and the adds all say cold water reg, but I assume every manufacturer says the same. My dive partner was using a new Apex setup and no problems. The titan and others you named, are you speaking of modern second stages or older ones I would have to look for? I assume my oceanic first stage is ok, its a sealed diaphram regulator. Right???
Also, Herman, the Swimaster Titan II second stage I was using it the one you helped me with last year. Nice breathing reg. would it by chance be suitable for cold water or are you referring to newer titans?

Thanks again both.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:15 am

Actually, I was referring to AL Titan first stages (basially a Conshelf in different cloths). Metal second stages are always a better choice, they conduct heat better so they are less likely to freeze and if they do, thaw faster.
Herman

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:19 pm

AL= Aqualung? Next year Im gona find a way to mount my double hose. It never let me down on the same dive the last two years.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:17 pm

AL= Aqualung aka USD= Us Divers
Herman

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Thank you both for your comments. Gives some names to start looking for. Couple more questions, if its my second stage icing, I think, can I just replace it with one of the brands mentioned or should I really think about changing my sealed cdx5 as well. The insides of my oceanic cdx looked just like the parts breakdown of my dive partners Apex first stage. If my cdx is really that bad, i will try to replace the whole shebang.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:39 pm

tripplec wrote: Having my phoenix nozzle installed, I read some reviews on here about it being awesome in cold water. Anyone remember which post it was?
Double hose regulators have been revered for years for their use in freezing temperatures. Broxton to Argonaut are great under the ice with no modifications needed.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7557&p=62694&hilit=ice#p62694
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks Bryan

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Maybe ill change the first stage too when I get more money. Everything I've read today basically says I'm the K Mart of Divers. Thanks for every ones help.

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:59 am

This is a picture of me after an ice dive on the wreck of the Fleetwing at Garret Bay, Door County Wisconsin a few years back. The weather conditions were 11 degrees, light snow and about a 15 knot West wind. I dove my Phoenix that day and it was the only reg not to freeze up and freeflow. This photo was taken just after the dive and I still have my gear on. I dove with a beer in each drysuit pocket that day. We are enjoying them in the photo. I remember sitting in my warm van for ten minutes waiting for the laces on my dry suit boots to thaw so I could get them untied. Now that's what I call cold! :shock:

Chris
Master Diver

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:07 pm

Awesome swimjim. I hated not bringing my phoenix this year. But I was using double tanks and I dont want to manifold them because I also use them as my singles tanks. I build a version of the VDH back plate with adapters, so with just two bolts I change between singles/doubles with or without BC. All my gear were fine on the three test dives I did before vaca. Verry dissapointing final dive. I need to do some more reading and figure out a good way to mount my Phoenix on one tank without a manifold. I know the breathing preformance might change, but at least ill be diving with a good reg. anyone have a 3400psi cheater bar manifold like I use on my double 72's?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:12 pm

NEWS BULLETIN....
Residents of the Garret Bay area are warned to be on the lookout for two dangerous escapees from the State Hospital For the Thermally Insane. These men are reported to be armed with large knives and under the influence of alcohol. Do not attempt to detain these thugs yourself, but please call local law enforcement Swat Team immediately!
[/size]
[quote="swimjim"]Image
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:22 pm

antique diver wrote:NEWS BULLETIN....
Residents of the Garret Bay area are warned to be on the lookout for two dangerous escapees from the State Hospital For the Thermally Insane. These men are reported to be armed with large knives and under the influence of alcohol. Do not attempt to detain these thugs yourself, but please call local law enforcement Swat Team immediately!
[/size]
swimjim wrote:Image

I may have to print this post and hang it on the wall next to the 8X10 I have of the picture. Too funny!!!!

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”