bbain
Vintage Diver

USD Aquarius regulators today?

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:17 pm

My son's significant other is getting certified in preparation for our family trip to Bonaire in February. As an Xmas gift for her, I was thinking about giving her a a regulator/gauges/octopus set up. I really like the fact that my Conshelf 14 from the 1970's is still in service (brass over plastic any day!) and I was wondering whether the Aquarius might also be a reasonable choice. Concerns are the availability of service parts and any known issues. Any advice, observations, etc. are welcome!

Bill Bain
Atlanta

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: USD Aquarius regulators today?

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:34 pm

All the parts to rebuild an Aquarius first and second stage are in the website store. ......Manual is in with the others on the site and I wrote a blog post sometime back about servicing the Aquarius.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:46 pm

The Aquarius is OK but why not go for a Conshelf instead? Its a much better reg and you know parts are available for it
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Herman wrote:The Aquarius is OK but why not go for a Conshelf instead? Its a much better reg and you know parts are available for it
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Herman wrote:The Aquarius is OK but why not go for a Conshelf instead? Its a much better reg and you know parts are available for it
I would love to give a Conshelf XIV, but there seems to be far fewer available now than in the past, and the few on eBay, for example, have been a bit pricey or really beat up. Most of what's on eBay recently has been the "plastic" ones like the Conshelf 20 and 21. The "metal" ones are a lifetime purchase -- Ginny (my wife) is using the Conshelf XIV that I got way back in the 1970's.

If some one has one they would be willing to part with it at a reasonable price (since I also need an octopus and a HPG/depth gauge console), I'm all ears.

Bill Bain
Atlanta

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Do a switch around, get both off ebay, swap second stages and resell the one you don't want. You might end up with some gauges and/or octo to boot.
Herman

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:53 pm

I'm with you all the way regarding metal vs. plastic... but I have tons of time underwater diving all sorts of scuba configurations and varied dive conditions.

It may be worth the time to think about this as her first reg. My wife is tiny, she dives with an HP63 (about the size of a 2 liter bottle) and likes that it fits her well. Since she is tiny, her lungs are smaller and that's enough air for her for the hour or so dives we make together. As well, the other scuba gear she has is light in weight... and a plastic/ABS second stage reg is perfect for her. She dives the first generation Aqualung Micra Adj and loves it. It's ultra small, light, no jaw fatigue, and helps with carry on weight when we fly commercially.

The reason I bring this up is the fact that many divers take the OW course, do a few dives, have some sort of gear complication, and then stop diving. Dive Training magazine did a nice article on diver attrition last year (I think). Of the leading causes for diver dropout was gear issues.

So, as I say to new divers I meet, get good COMFORTABLE gear from the beginning, that may mean light weight plastic/ABS regs, it may not. Only the actual diver using the gear knows for sure what is best for them.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:17 pm

My wife dives with a MK5/109 and prefers the 109 2nd over the G250. I got her a comfort bite mouthpiece and she is perfectly happy with the setup and occasionally reminds me not to sell her regulator as I have done a few times in the past.
Your local Craigs list should have a few Conshelf's for sale.....At least down here they are plentiful and inexpensive.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:00 pm

None on CL in Atlanta area, three on CL in South Florida, but all are the "plastic" ones. I'm not a CL user, but my son is, and since he lives in South Florida, I will enlist his "eyes" to watch for some. I hadn't thought of CraigsList.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Bill Bain
Atlanta

bbain
Vintage Diver

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:38 am

Finally did buy a Conshelf 14 from eBay, with 3 gauge console. After the holiday, I will look into rebuilding it. Thanks to all that replied!

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:59 am

I have an extra scubapro mk5/balanced adjustable I couldve sold you cheap. It would need rebuilding though. To bad I didnt see this earlier.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:27 pm

bbain wrote:Finally did buy a Conshelf 14 from eBay, with 3 gauge console. After the holiday, I will look into rebuilding it. Thanks to all that replied!
Tested the new arrival on a tank I had with approximately 2000 psi in it. Second stage free flowed profusely and the adjustment screw on the first stage is backed way out instead of being flush like our other ones. As long as there's nothing irreplaceably damaged in it, I was going to have it rebuilt anyway. Now to find a dive shop to service it . . . . .

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:54 pm

bbain wrote: Now to find a dive shop to service it . . . . .

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/S ... ort=normal

bbain
Vintage Diver

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:44 am

Bryan wrote:
bbain wrote: Now to find a dive shop to service it . . . . .

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/S ... ort=normal

D'oh! The first and second stages, and Octopus are on their way!

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”