mfascuba
Diver
First Name: Mark

Voit Swimaster LP Seat

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:40 am

Got a Voit Swimmaster off of fleabay, looking to use it as an octo on a project double hose. This is the first one I've torn down, when I got it apart the LP seat looked like it was made of a hard white plastic, but it was obviously deteriorated beyond reuse. I chipped out the plastic to see if a replacement soft seat could be put in there, it may work, just curious as to if this will work and hold up over time. I was very impressed with the "flippable" volcano type orifice on the LP inlet where the hose connects, it shows foresight on the part of the Voit designers. The reg is out for chroming along with a DA Aquamaster I picked up, both should clean up nicely.

Anyway, what is everybody using for LP seats on the Swimaster regulators these days?

Thanks,

Mark

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: Voit Swimaster LP Seat

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Mark, I have been rebuilding the Voit/Swimaster single hose models for several years. The LP seat compound does become brittle over the decades, and the technique that you used for removing it is what I use as well. The great news is that the LP seats for the Voit/USD two stage models work well. It should be a press fit, and the seat should be barely below the edge of the metal. If the seat is a bit oversized, I use a Dremel fine grinding wheel to carefully remove material from the circumference. That is rarely needed, though. I suggest using a single drop of super glue on the backside of the seat to retain it in the seat holder.

Bryan sells the MR12 rebuild kit in the store, and I highly suggest that you obtain one. I also recommend replacing the second stage diaphragm with a new Mares Abyss unit. That update will significantly increase the performance of the reg.

The cracking effort should be set between 1.25-1.5". Any lower than that will likely result in a free flow while in a face down position.

If you need any other information feel free to ask.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:47 pm

Greg,
My source for the Mares Abyss can not get them from Mares. I should have purchased more when I had the chance. Do you have a source as I have a couple of MR 12's that could use them.
Thanks
Red Diver

mfascuba
Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Allright, I think I'm on the right track. I have the MR-12 kit coming in the mail, and I have a diaphragm that will fit it, I ordered two from Rob at the Scuba Museum, one for this reg and one for my Trieste. Should be good. This reg should be back from the plating shop in a few days, can't wait!

Mark

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:47 pm

mfascuba wrote:Allright, I think I'm on the right track. I have the MR-12 kit coming in the mail, and I have a diaphragm that will fit it, I ordered two from Rob at the Scuba Museum, one for this reg and one for my Trieste. Should be good. This reg should be back from the plating shop in a few days, can't wait!

Mark
Mark,

I've been real busy and haven't had time to respond to your last message. The Trieste diaphragm, while similar in appearance, is not the correct size for the SH Voit models. It is too large in diameter. You will need a Mares version that fits the following models: MR12 III, Voltrex, and Abyss.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:45 pm

Greg,
What do you mean by cracking effort set between 1.25 and 1.5" how do you measure this.
I have also overhauled several swim masters and amf mk 12's . While I have replaced the diaphragms , I have noticed that when I depress the purge button, it just barely starts the free flow..? Is this normal ?

Red diver

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:01 pm

reddiver wrote:Greg,
What do you mean by cracking effort set between 1.25 and 1.5" how do you measure this.
I have also overhauled several swim masters and amf mk 12's . While I have replaced the diaphragms , I have noticed that when I depress the purge button, it just barely starts the free flow..? Is this normal ?

Red diver
The cracking effort measurement is the distance that the diaphragm would have to be submerged in order to open the valve assembly. It is most accurately measured with a magnehelic gauge. You can also measure it by immersing the second stage in water with the mouthpiece straight up.

If the pure button is fully depressed, and air is not flowing strongly, then the lever is set too low. That will result in poor performance. The air should audibly flow when the purge is depressed 2-4mm.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”