ErosJax
Diver
First Name: William

Voit Conqueror II

Tue May 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Just got this reg recently (unused and still in box) and am trying to do a little research, but am unable to find much about it online. I did see this reg listed in the 1972 Voit Diving catalog under Manuals/Catalogs. Does anyone know much about this particular reg?

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: Voit Conqueror II

Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Your reg was produced in the early 1970s. That model, along with two others, tha Avalon II (?), and Viking I were versions of the Swimaster models: Polaris, Little Gem III, and MR12.

The Conqueror II, Polaris, and Little Gem III were all unbalanced piston first stages with a downstream second stage. The second stage is identical to that used on the higher priced models.

Swimaster was the "professional" line that was sold through dive shops. The Voit line was sold through sporting good shops, and other "non dive shop" vendors such as Sears.

Your reg is very easy to rebuild, as parts are available. In fact, I have a number of the unbalanced piston models like yours that I have used on vintage single hose dives.

If you need more information, just let me know.

Greg Barlow
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ErosJax
Diver

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:13 am

Excellent information Greg! I greatly appreciate it!

I haven't hooked this thing up to a tank yet. I am trying to determine if I should hook it up and play with it some in the water, or leave it in pristine condition.

Considering the fact that this reg has more than likely sat in a box for 40 years, what all would go bad with age? Would the lp hose be no good?

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:48 pm

This, if I remember correctly, shares first stage parts with the USD Aquarius. I find the Voit/Swimaster second stage way better, as it has a more powerful Venturi, from my experience. I really like these little regulators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:25 am

Ron, if you and Greg get together on this I can put together a service kit for the regulator and have it available in the website store. Goes back to the conversation we had as a group at Portage last year.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:03 am

ErosJax wrote:Excellent information Greg! I greatly appreciate it!

I haven't hooked this thing up to a tank yet. I am trying to determine if I should hook it up and play with it some in the water, or leave it in pristine condition.

Considering the fact that this reg has more than likely sat in a box for 40 years, what all would go bad with age? Would the lp hose be no good?
If you want to dive with it, it would need a complete rebuild. The hose is very likely permanently bent from having been in a fixed position for decades. It would also need to have all of the O-rings replaced, along with the low pressure seat. The diaphragm is probably okay, but the reg would breathe considerably better with a Mare Abyss silicone version installed.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:05 am

Bryan wrote:Ron, if you and Greg get together on this I can put together a service kit for the regulator and have it available in the website store. Goes back to the conversation we had as a group at Portage last year.
Bryan,

I have all of the O-ring sizes and durometer specifics. I'll email those to you. The HP seats will need to be obtained. Herman made some for me a few years back.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Doesn't Bryan still make Aquarius seats? I used those in my Voit and they worked fine. I think they are the same.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:36 pm

slonda828 wrote:Doesn't Bryan still make Aquarius seats? I used those in my Voit and they worked fine. I think they are the same.

I got em....Send me the info Greg and we can get them in the store. Thank you
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ErosJax
Diver

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have downloaded all the service and repair docs from manuals/catalogs for both Aqualung and voit. I also have the Scuba Regulator and Repair book by Vance Harlow. I want to get into learning how to service some of my own regs and several of the vintage regs seem like a good place to start. Plus I really like the older chrome style.

Since the Voit Conquerer II seems to share a lot of the same parts as an Aqualung Aquarius, I think I may look for a beat up Aquarius that I can first practice on before cracking into this one. Especially since Bryan has service kits in the store for the Aquarius.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:46 am

Aquarius, Mistral, Scubapro MK2, , Conshelf are all good regulators to start working with.Inexpensive to acquire, cheap to service and hard to screw up.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:43 am

ErosJax wrote:Thanks for all the info guys.

I have downloaded all the service and repair docs from manuals/catalogs for both Aqualung and voit. I also have the Scuba Regulator and Repair book by Vance Harlow. I want to get into learning how to service some of my own regs and several of the vintage regs seem like a good place to start. Plus I really like the older chrome style.

Since the Voit Conquerer II seems to share a lot of the same parts as an Aqualung Aquarius, I think I may look for a beat up Aquarius that I can first practice on before cracking into this one. Especially since Bryan has service kits in the store for the Aquarius.
The one bit of advise I can give you that IMO is more important than anything else is to be very careful around any sealing surface. Scratch them with a careless move of a tool and you have possibly damaged the reg permanently. Almost any other mistake can be corrected.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:04 pm

The little Voit doesn't seem to have much collectible value, so if it was mine I would just go ahead and enjoy diving with it. Keep it in nice condition and save the box.
The older I get the better I was.

ErosJax
Diver

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks antique diver. I was wondering about that. Plus it would be a shame to not use something for what it was made for. I'll rebuild it and have some fun. Right now the reg is immaculate and looks like it was made yesterday.

Herman, I'll pm you about some tools as well.

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:44 pm

I got a brand new one for 25 bucks, still in the box a while ago. I have since sold it for around 50 dollars. Great breathing regulator, and dirt simple. Like BT said, not super collectible.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”