pclarke1
Lung Diver
First Name: Paul

Conshelf SEA First Stage Service

Mon May 04, 2015 3:24 am

I am not sure if this reg is too young for this site, but here goes. The Conshelf SEA is what I would describe as an ocarina shaped US Divers first stage. This was matched with various 2nd stages over the years and in my opinion is a pretty good 1st stage (lots of ports etc). After taking a look at the rather sorry state that this single hose was in over the weekend, I broke down and did a service on the whole set (Dacor Pacer XLP 2nd Stage, US Divers Octo, Oceanic console etc). I had all of the parts ready to do so no drama.

The US Divers service manual on this reg specifies an IP of 135 PSI. I had both mine and my wife's serviced in Singapore (for this is where we live) last year and the IP's were both set to around 150 PSI. I have set my one now to 135, is this really just a matter of preference and matching the 1st and 2nd stage tuning?

Secondly, when I look at the IP adjustment screw of hers at 150 (and mine before the service) the top of the screw is more or less flush with the retaining cap. Mine set to 135 now is recessed by about 1/16 of an inch. Am I just being overly fussy, or have I made an error in my rebuilding process. Everything seems ok, the IP locks up at 135 with no creep (even over night), I have my primary 2nd stage at around 0.7-0.8 on the magnehelic (with the Octo at around 1.9). Should I pull it apart and start again or am I good to go?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Conshelf SEA First Stage Service

Mon May 04, 2015 7:59 am

Sounds about right to me. Within reason, the value of the IP is not critical, it being stable- no creep and a constant lockup pressure are what is important. 150 is a little on the high end but you are working with 2 unknowns- what the calibration of the dive shop and your IP gauges are...you high 5 and them low 5 would put the "real" IP at 140, which is where I typically set all my regs to. I use 140 as my all around pressure and set every reg I have to that value. That way, I can (and often do) swap first and second stages around with no need to retune the second stage. As for the position of the adjustment screw, I would not worry about that, the age/stiffness/thickness of the diaphragm will have an impact on that setting as well as HP seat material.
For what it's worth, I consider the SEA a great travel reg...yea it's heavy but it is super easy to fix issues with it. I use to travel with one all the time and kept a complete balance chamber and HP seat with me, you can drop one very easily if needs be.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon May 04, 2015 9:59 am

I agree with Herman....I have seen service kits for this regulator with high pressure diaphragm washers in two different thicknesses. One is the original as used in Conshelf, Royal, Phoenix, Argonaut. The other is slightly thicker. Both work fine but this could cause the difference in adjustment screw height. Hope this helps.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 am

Didn't think about the washer thickness but that would also have an impact.
Herman

pclarke1
Lung Diver
First Name: Paul

Mon May 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Thank you gentlemen. I will pool test on the weekend, but I am expecting everything is working perfectly based on your advice and my observations. It makes sense that the adjustment screw positioning is related to the diaphragm and gasket thickness. This sort of advice and interaction is the thing I love about doing jobs myself. Spending extra time to get something perfect or increase understanding. Much more satisfying than just spending money!

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”