oldschool
First Name: Leo

Taking the Plunge!!

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Today I ordered service kits for my Mk2, Mk5, SP109 and SP555. Several months ago, I picked up Vance Harlow's book and I think have read it cover to cover. In the past couple of weeks, I've accumulated the necessary tools. Most of them I already had with the exception of a torque wrench. I fabricated a hook pin spanner from one half of a pair of channel locks, a 1" yoke retainer socket and three o ring tools from a 1/2 inch oak dowel. Today, I disassembled and reassembled the Mk5 as a dry run to familiarize myself and test out the tools. Everything worked perfectly. I think I enjoyed fabricating the tools as much as tearing in to the Mk5. I also have a Mk25 but will first cut my teeth on the Mk2 and Mk5. Awap, if you are reading this, I'll be calling you when I start on the Mk 25 to ask you to come over and look over my shoulder while I tackle it. Looking at the schematics, it's obviously a bit more complicated. Wish me luck guys!! :)

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Taking the Plunge!!

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 pm

Sounds like you'll fit in here just fine. LOL Welcome aboard!

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:58 am

Good Luck. But, it sounds like you're on the road to making your own good fortune. It was very smart of you to acquire the tools you need, I look back on my regulator/scuba tools as some of my best investments in the sport.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:38 am

Scubapro regs are generally K.I.S.S. and real fun to service. Other than DH regs and one or two USD Conshelfs, Scubapro makes up the bulk of my single hose panoply. I've have the Mk 2 in four different configurations from about 1966 to 2005 and they all are easy to work on. Mk 5 and 10 also the same. As far as the 25 is concerned, I hear that it is a little more tricky. As far as 2nd stage, I am either a Calypso, R108/R109, or R190 guy. This forum is packed with experience and a lot of helpful people. You'll have a blast rebuilding them.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”