panhandlediver
First Name: CHARLES

Plea for help. Another Dacor Repair Problem

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 pm

OK, so my son was recently given a really nicely maintained Dacor Pacer regulator (1st stage has "Dacor 900", 2nd stage has Dacor Pacer"). He dove the regulator a couple of times, and it appeared to function OK; but, apparently, has developed a "small leak", supposedly in the 1st stage. Nobody at the LDS's are interested in attempting a repair. I am well aware of the almost insurmountable problems involved in trying to have these regs repaired; but all visible parts on this regulator sre virtually pristine in appearance. Seems ashamed to just pitch it, or stick it in the "too nice to throw away, but not useable in current condition" bin. Any helpful words of wisdom would be appreciated. :?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Plea for help. Another Dacor Repair Problem

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:22 pm

I'm pretty sure Trident carries repro HP seats for those. I'm sure Herman knows and will chime in. Those are great regs, so definitely hold on to it!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Is air leaking out of the regulator body, or do you mean a HP seat leak that causes the second stage to begin leaking? If an external leak is heard, put it on a tank and submerge the whole first stage to see where it's coming from. Most likely just an o-ring causing external leaks. Leaks often originate under the inlet module that screws into the body and holds the yoke in place. No special tools need for unscrewing that carefully with a large wrench. The oring is a standard 010 or 011, can't recall which, but it's a standard size available even at hardware stores. Another likely place is around the main body or out of the adjustment screw area, from air leaking around the diaphragm. It takes a special type spanner to tighten that without damage to the metal, but even those aren't hard to find. Of course the swivel area orings would always be suspect, but I usually found more leaks at the other listed places.

You should be able to find a schematic in the manuals and catalogs section of this website that will show the locations of the O-rings and give you some idea what to look for inside.

A leaking HP seat is also common, but will require the above listed spanner to access the insides. There was more than one type seat used in those, having slightly different dimensions, so refer to the Dacor manual area and look for the "high pressure seat" pdf listed there for measurements. VDH may be able to obtain a repro seat from Trident. If it's not available, figure out which seat it is from the chart and let me know.

Those aren't as complicated as they look at first so don't be discouraged because almost no one works on them. Of course you should have some tools and mechanical skills to get into your own reg, and if unsure have someone else tackle that for you.
The older I get the better I was.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:28 pm

The inlet oring (part #7) is a 011-90, or at least that is what I have on a marked up copy of a 900 diagram. All the orings are common sizes so they are not a problem, I have a marked up PDF copy of the exploded view with the oring sizes on it. The issues are the internal filter (odds are it's OK), balance chamber (early models) and the HP seat. Trident does show one in it's catalog but there were 3 different ones used in the 900 series and they are NOT interchangable. You must use the correct one or change out a lot of other parts (even harder to find) to get it right. The other problem is the early balance chambers were not made to be serviced but rather replaced. I am guessing but you may can replace the oring in them but it's not going to be easy.
Herman

panhandlediver
First Name: CHARLES

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Will have to do a little investigating on my own to see if I can more accurately pinpoint where the "leak" is coming from (a tech at a LDS told him the 1st stage, but that is all I know at the moment). So will have to do some searching on my own. Many thanks again.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”