Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Budget USD octopus

Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 am

I mentioned this in passing a while back to Nemrod and others. I like to use the older USD second stages (the one with the small exhaust valves) as alternate second stages. I use Bryan's miflex hoses in 40-48", and I set the cracking pressure to about 1.5 inches. Then, I take some snips and cut the exhuast tee down, and I also use the regular black mouthpieces that Bryan sells in the store to have a minimalist mouthpiece. I have been using these for a while, and they are very effective. If you use a 48" hose, then you can run the hose under the waist band of a VDH backplate so that it pulls free when deployed, but is tucked away when stowed. Think of it as a tiny long hose, but not wrapped around your neck. You can get these second stages for like ten bucks on the internet, then purchase the hose and mouthpiece, as well as any rebuild parts, from the VDH store. It is a cheap, durable, and classic looking setup. I much prefer it to those yellow ABS octos that get all faded and eventually crack.

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Budget USD octopus

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:18 pm

I had thought for a long time about buying up a bunch of 2nd stages like this and having them done in Argonaut Kraken red and offering them as safe 2nds. Unfortunately when the cost of time,materials and labor for me were added up I could not sell them at inexpensive price.....If you were to do it Ron's way though I think you would have a winner!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:02 pm

I have done the same a number of times -- I think after seeing your idea Ron. I bought a bunch a while back for this purpose. I just set one up on my Kraken. I was thinking of finding it a red hose though. I had put a neon yellow one on it for visibility.
-Geoff

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:11 pm

See if Bryan can get them. Bryan is an XS Scuba dealer, which means he can order miflex hoses. They come in red, both for regular low pressure and BCD hoses.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:37 pm

I have been using the old USD Calypso/Conshelf seconds for a really long time, well, since 1966. It was my first regulator and it still rides shotgun on my Phoenix. I like these old screw on tee types because they are lower profile than the dome covers types with the slip on tee.

Actually, my last dive with my Phoenix and Calypso second, it free flowed while swimming into the hellish current to the Vandenberg (last Friday). This was the result of my having replaced the second stage seat and not properly setting the lever tension. I left it on the light side. It is best to set, as Ron mentioned, around 1.5 inches for duty as an octopus. Anyways, I probably have more total dives on this old second stage than all my other regulators combined.

I cannot bring myself to cut the tees down since I cannot find them anymore (?). I have over the years collected I think six of these regulator sets. They are simple and rugged. However, the Kraken has liberated me from any need or pretense to remain vintage to satisfy symmetry with my round label Phoenix. The Kraken being a fully new and modern regulator, I will use a modern, XS or similar low profile second stage as an octopus I think. Mostly for the reduced weight and even slimmer profile.

Nem

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:15 pm

It's funny that you mention that James, because I was wracking my brain today trying to think of what I wanted to use for an octo for my kraken. I was thinking of picking up a black plastic conshelf 21/22/sea second stage, and then seeing if I can find a nice red miflex 40" hose for it via Bryan. I could be all color coordinated and whatnot.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:41 pm

slonda828 wrote:It's funny that you mention that James, because I was wracking my brain today trying to think of what I wanted to use for an octo for my kraken. I was thinking of picking up a black plastic conshelf 21/22/sea second stage, and then seeing if I can find a nice red miflex 40" hose for it via Bryan. I could be all color coordinated and whatnot.
I have been going around with it too. I have just decided that I really want my Kraken to have the lowest weight and lowest impact on my profile as possible. I have been using fisherman knot (bungee) and necklace for stowing my secondary for a long time now and it works really well. And, my instructor in the SDI Solo course had me show him (I was using my 1966 Calypso/Conshelf second on a Mk V on a pony and necklaced) how to deploy and he liked it too. The slip knot easily releases the second though for solo one just simply pops it into the mouth.

But, now there are some really light, low profile alternate air second around, like those from XS (which Bryan can sell??) that I am really considering here. But at the same time, why mess with what works. Still undecided. But you are definitely right, those old screw on tee seconds are very nice for riding shot gun and have classic appeal.

The original seconds from USD came in two versions (both screw on tee), one had a very small .5 inch exhaust valve and then the later version had a 3/4 inch I think or approximate. If you can, use the later.

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:47 pm

I have been using the XS Scuba airwave with a 48" MiFlex hose for 2 years now with my Argonaut setup. I outfitted the 3 special red plate Argonaut packages with this same setup. I use the Orange silicone bands I had made for a spearfishing application stretched around the outer circumference of the regulator and it lies almost flat against my harness and I tuck the tail of the hose under my belt.
Flat as a pancake, has a freeflow control, breathes better than a safe 2nd needs to, easy to repair....I hate the yellow cover but will try some spray paint in a red for plastic parts on mine and see how it turns out.

I can match or beat any price on the net on XS or MiFlex gear.

http://www.xsscuba.com/reg_airwave.html

I'm also thinking of stocking these caps from XS for LP and HP hoses. Since hoses will come off for travel on the Argonaut they are perfect for travel and or freshwater rinsing after a dive.
http://www.xsscuba.com/hose-plug-sets.html
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”